Yellow Hibiscus

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Looky what I have blooming this morning...isn't she a beauty!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is another picture, it is not very tall but it has several buds on the stalk.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

That reminds me of okra (also in the mallow family). Cool bloom.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes it does, doesn't it...lol Maybe I will grow Okra in a pot next year for the blooms...is it easy to grow?

Very easy since it loves the heat.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

maybe a good container plant next year...lol...when do you plant it and how long till flower? I even think my DH likes okra...we cant eat them after they bloom, what a great plant! Why haven't I done this before...are the birds and other critters a factor?

Plant it after the soil has warmed up in spring (in a pot I guess you could get an early start). My dad grows the really large okra. His pods get a lot bigger - 8 inches or longer -than the ones you buy in the store. They can also get 4 to 6 foot tall. There are no major pests for okra that I am aware of. You would cut the pods off after they get a few inches of growth and before they start getting hard. Once they start producing, you can cut most every day (like squash) because they grow so fast.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Cool! I will have to give that a go and see what happens!

Oh, I loved my yellow hibiscus but they haven't flowered for awhile from lack of water. Aren't they so gorgeous, I think yours are more beautiful than mine!
I've collected some seed, I enjoyed them so much!

girlgroupgirl

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks GGG, I love most anything yellow, it has a way of brightening any spot in the garden! They are just so delicate looking..

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have one in the back yard where a bird dropped a seed from the front yard. Real easy to grow. Really pretty but mine has quit blooming.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I've been collecting seeds from mine if anyone wants some. They are pretty aren't they! I love the fact it blooms the first year. Janet, it will get taller for you and branch out too, I'm sure.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I think this is the third year for this one..lol and it has branched a littl but not much taller for me...I was hoping it would...but with out weather, how can you tell what anything will do..lol
I love things that grow so easily from see though!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Great Photo,I have some seeds from one like that from a Round Robin recently.I hope mine look like that!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Do let us know how they do for you too!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I started my seeds inside last winter. I planted out the seedlings this past spring and was so amazed at how quickly them bloom. I want these in my garden every year.
Janet your photo is wonderful. They look like a pinwheel on a stick that I remember loving to get as a child when we went to the dime store every Saturday.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

They do look like that Deb! I think they are just sweet!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.