Raptor Migration Underway

Bristol, NH

The hawks and eagles are starting their fall migration. Some winter as far south as Peru. The Hawk Migration Association of North America has a web site at www.hmana.org .On the left is a link to site locations in N.A. where you can check for a watch site near you. Hawkwatchers are often knowledgeble about other migrating birds,Monarch butterflies and dragonflies. The site has other interesting information also. Jane31

Marlton, NJ

Thanks for the great info Jane! If this weather ever clears up I want to try and make it down to Cape May, NJ to see the Hawks etc.

Thanks again!!

Bristol, NH

New Jersey has some great watch site in addition to Cape May. On the HMANA site, on the left ,you can link to hawkcount.org and read the daily reports from across N.A. Jane31

Marlton, NJ

Thanks Jane!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

ooo, thanks!! Very cool!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the site, Jane. I saw what I think were 3 kites circling and flying southward this afternoon. I got so excited! I'll be looking up from now on. Binoculars will be closer at hand than today, for sure.

Bristol, NH

I'm glad you are enjoying the HMANA site.It's great to share your passion with others.Vera Cruz,Mexico is counting Mississippi Kites in good numbers now. This is the place all hawk watchers would like to go to for it's variety and large numbers(millions).Bookworm and other Texas folk might consider a trip to Hazel Bazemore Park in Corpus Christi for it's great counts. Jane

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Hawk Mountain in Pennsylvania is a great place to see migrating raptors. I try to go at least once in the fall.

http://www.hawkmountain.org/

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Jane and Claypa - good to know about Corpus Christi and Hawk Mountain. Closer to Houston is the Smith Point Hawk Watch near Galveston Bay and Anahuac Wildlife Refuge (Winnie is the closest town - it's east of Houston about 1 hour). They probably stop off there before heading out for Corpus.

I'm so glad to hear that my siting was likely kites! I wondered if they started migrating this early. This is only my 2nd year of paying really close attention - lots of fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.