can you root wisteria from clippings?

Fort Worth, TX

I have a lot of one peice of wisteria I had to cut it back. Can I root it from clippings??

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

It is sure worth a try. The stiff green stems are the easiest to root. Woody stems, or floppy green ones, aren't...
good luck!
-T

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

I was going to make a post with the same question as I am finding a lot of the vine growing in our yard through peach trees and everything else too.
I know I have to cut some back or they will kill the trees and they are starting to bloom.
#8 on the page listed below
< a href="http://www.ladies-of-the-heart.org/Phyllis/plants.html">http://www.ladies-of-the-heart.org/Phyllis/plants.html
I would like to be able to dig the roots up and transplant else where in the yard and try to train it to be more of a tree then a vine.
But I was wondering if I can take branches to root and if so what would be the best way?
(Hubby has started clearing out over gown areas in the yard)
I know for African violets my grandma always used vermiculite or the such but I have never tried on anything else.

Thumbnail by Mibus2
Fort Worth, TX

I put some rootone in the water with my cuttings and I'm keeping fingers crossed- it's hard to type that way- LOL

Jefferson, GA(Zone 7b)

speaking of wisteria, I have an evergreen wisteria and it says it can also be reproduced by seed. where do you find the seed?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It should make pods at some point after it's done blooming. If it was pollinated of course.

I don't know about the evergreen wisterias (since they're in a completely different genus than true wisteria), but the true wisterias will take many, many, many years to bloom if you grow them from seed, but if you do them from cuttings they'll bloom much quicker. I'm sure Millettia will also bloom quicker from cuttings, although it may not be quite as slow as Wisteria to bloom if you grow it from seed.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

the native wisterias root readily under mist with bottom heat.the Asian forms are slower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.