need ideals to get bottle baby goat to suck

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

I got three goats sat have one that we just isn't getting enough milk into to keep it going afraid it isn't going to last long if we can't get more milk into it may be getting a ounce in every two to three hours it won't suck we have tried to give it milk with a syringe and it doesn't swallow the milk very good just lets it dribble out of its mouth

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

You might try attaching a flexible rubber tube to the syringe or small bottle. I know that is a method used by dog and cat breeders to get small ones the nutrition they need if the mother will not or cannot care for them. You might check with your vet or a local farm or tack store to see what they have available that would work.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

what's the temperature of the milk?

Humansville, MO

warm

Humansville, MO

o i am dave wife we warm up the milk like you do for baby

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi ellesgh!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi ellesgh!

Try seeing if it will take the milk off your fingers. Sometimes that works too.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I was taught to hold the bottle high, make her poke her nose straight up, and massage her neck to get the swallow reflex going. Good luck!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd not overdo it with the milk. If the kid is not ill already, an ounce or so every few hours will help her gain strength and with strength comes increased sucking ability. If the nipple you are using is new and stiff, she may not like it, or she may not be used to nursing at all. Put the nipple in her mouth, cup her nose in your hand, and close her jaws on the nipple gently and repeatedly. Use your hand to cover the sides of her mouth and increase suction. Rub her throat with your other hand and make sure she is swallowing. Don't let the milk go into her lungs. It may take lots of time and patience. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.