Table Treat (hybrid) Corn

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Farmerdill or Shoe,

I have 2 questions for you please.

Have you ever heard of this kind before (Table Treat)? I got 40% off at Agway yesterday, but I can't find it in PF or google. The package says 77 days, sugar enhanced (se) bicolor with 8 inch ears with 16 rows of kernels. Holds well after harvest.

Also, one other thing I noticed which is sort of scary. On the back it says, treated with captan-thiram-carboxin. Do not use for feed, food or oil purposes and there is an antidote. Sounds scary and what does it mean don't use for food???

Thank you very much.

Megan

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Megan, that is a 1993 introduction from Seedway. It is reported as being similar to Lancelot. Seedway no longer lists it so it may have been dropped.

It is standard practice among growers to use treated seed. These are fungicides that prevent or at least slow rot when conditions for seed emegence are not optimal. Particularly when, you are pushing the season, germination of treated seed is much superior to untreated seed. Thiram is usually used, but none of them are overly dangerous. I would hope that you not going to eat your seed corn anyway, but if you have small children that wish to put everything in thier mouth, heed the warning.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Okay, thank you so much for all the interesting information Farmerdill... especially on the warning about the little ones putting everything in their mouths (3 and 5 year old girls here).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.