Fall or spring?

(Zone 4a)

When your plants start dying off in the fall do you do most of your cleanup then? I mean cutting back etc? Or do you do all the cleanup and cutting back etc in the spring? Just curious. I know I tend to do mine mostly in the fall.

North Augusta, ON

I tend to do mine in the spring. My yard is pretty flat and it gets windy here...the stuff I would clean up holds in the leaves and snow for better winter coverage....learned this the hard way....

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That cold there today Dawn?
I do some of each, stuff that mats down and critters eat on over winter gets cut back in the fall and others that benefit from some protection stay on over winter.

(Zone 4a)

Haha no Al.....but it is just around the corner. I have noticed some trees starting to change colour already :(

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Same as Al. Most in Spring though.

North Augusta, ON

Yup....and it's getting too cold on the bare feet at night, and there's a chill in the morning air that is making me have a small panic attack because a lot of my plants aren't gonna have enough time to bloom (moonflowers, corkscrew vine, passion flowers) and they are going to have to come in but I have NO idea where I'm gonna put em all....

(Zone 4a)

Eeeks! Well hopefully the fall will be nice :) We can always hope.

North Augusta, ON

We can...not that it ever does us much good.....it's shaping up to be an early frost.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Was cool here too over the weekend but it is going to be in the 90s again by mid week. I usually only cut down the dead or shriveled stuff in the fall and leave the rest for winter protection, birds and so that early in the spring I know where stuff is when clearing out all the oak leaves from winter. There is an old saying: If it's brown cut it down and if its green just as its been. :) I do try to get as many oak leaves raked out as I can in the fall because so many collect in the garden as they drop all through the winter.

(Zone 4a)

I don't mind the cleanup part for some reason. I guess I just find most parts of gardening relaxing. I enjoy it all.

All depends on how much you have. Cleaning up a small garden is no big deal. When you have lots and lots of plants, it becomes a nuisance.

North Augusta, ON

No, not really...I just think of all that wonderful compost it's all going to make :)

Maybe, but I have chronic back and knee pain. Garden chores - weeding, cutting back and cleaning up - are the worst. Planting doesn't bother me nearly as much - though that may be partly psychological.

North Augusta, ON

Me too!!! I sit here now in agony after moving a bunch of iris....but I try to pace myself, and go to bed with a hot water bottle on my knees.....but this year I got 15 wheel barrow loads of compost for the gardens.....had to take a few days off of gardening after that effort....lol

Love my hot tub after those times!

North Augusta, ON

ooooo....would sooo love one of those....

One of my best decisions. Have it on my porch and it provided needed humidity for the plants I brought in last Winter. I closed it off with plastic.

(Zone 4a)

Nice Victor - I would love one of those!!!

Great for romantic moments too, of course. Even better when my wife joins me.

(Zone 4a)

But of course!!!! How fun would it be alone???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.