Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Fire Magic, nice orange red one.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I posted this way back, them moved it - it's flowering again, Extase

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

AL,

So beautiful, I have a hard time choosing favorites from all the ones you post, they are all such lovely flowers. Thanks again for taking the time to take pictures and post them...I love them all!

Carla

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Al,

WHERE do you get your tubers from? These are just stunning....of course most Dahlias are....yet I have never seen these for sale. Share your secrets please.

Pam

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Woo hoo, Al's got another thread going! Always a delight.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Carla and BDale. Probably at about 80% of mine open now, there are some I've posted that I don't like, but I'm not going to throw them under the bus here.

Pam - those 3 are funny, because one is a trade,one is from a rescue collection and one I bought local. Most everything is available online, try looking in here:
http://www.dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great flowers! I have been considering Illusion for next year maybe. Fire Magic is aptly named.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like FI, but I'm drawn to those lavender/lilac edges.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

great pics.... too bad you are kind of far!!!!! or I would invite myself to see them!!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kind of far...................out! I've had a few DGers here.

I got a decent flower on Blue Bayou this time.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch - your friend and nemesis together.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I could live with Fercliff Illusion real easily. Beautiful colors.

I knew Contessa would do well in your hands- looks great. And as for Yvonne, got any grass shears for her? LOL a little haircut for that fickle dahlia. They do kick out the flowers don't they.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I tore out Lavender Ruffles, I need to bring my favorites back from work - they are getting EATEN alive by the cucumber beetles there. We have a cornfield nearby so I think I have Jam's problems there.

Speaking of Jam, I have Karma Corona open now. My camera is not seeing the orange in it.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Full shot of Golden Cloud, certainly one of the downfalls of my pruning method is that all plants will be taller than expected. I like this bronze waterlily.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Firepot is open now. It has some positives - great color, great waterlily form and the best foliage by far - glossy dark green.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Some negatives too- slow flowering and as much as I disbudded this to try and keep the flowers from opening inside the plant - it still did.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Got a better shot of Stolze von Berlin. Pretty small Pooch, fairly pink.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oooh. Your Corona looks great. In reality, is yours more orangey and yellow? I think that is my favorite of the Karmas. And Golden Cloud, what a plant! Do you have a close-up coming of the flower alone? Great maroon stems, well matched to the little champion to the right :) which I guess might be Contessa?

Nice colors on Fire Pot. I don't know if I have Fire Pot or Fire Mountain? It's a shorter ~2ft plant with deep maroon stems and dark maroonish/green foliage. I'll have to look it up.

The real SVB? How small and how pink? Looks like a pretty good flower to me. I'm still waiting for blooms on the 'wannabe' version of SVB. Next year it's going back into its old location.

Well done Al, as always.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Firepot is a a short plant - 2' or so, short stems - like a turtle with a flower for a head.
SVB is 2" I would say. SVBW is starting to come around now - no flowers yet.
K. Corona is orange with some yellow center, nice flower.
Golden Cloud is 4" wide, fairly flat flower.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Nice blooms as always, Al. Hopefully you didn't get hit with that weather mess that is blasting Chicago right now. (I realize you are in a different state, but didn't know how far north the problem extended).

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. We did OK here - about 5" of rain only last week. Earlier in the summer and that wetness would worry me. I wonder how Mone did with the 90mph winds there a few days ago.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

That shot of Stolze von Berlin is perfect! What a color!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

your dahlias never cease to amaze me!!!!!!!

I counted yesterday... I have 36 dahlias... not necessary different kinds.... but I can't believe I have this many already... and my list has 12 dahlias already.... I think I may end up with as many dahlias as roses!!!!

Delhi, IA

Golden Cloud and Firepot!! Double WOW Al.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kass - I didn't know you had that many in that one bed? you must have more hidden somewhere ;)

I did mention being overyellowed, and it isn't because of dahlias really. I have a lot of yellow perennials in the summer - like Henty Eilers rudbeckia

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Another shot of Kari Blue. Not so prolific for me.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Maddisen Jayne from Willow. Smaller pink waterlily.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2007 6:23 AM

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Modest first flower on the noid I call AA white.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow, what a wonderful rudbeckia. Have never seen one so dainty.

Great shot of Kari Blue!

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow Al....not a dahlia? I love the rudbeckia. I have a few of those too, just not that one...I have a few coneflowers too and love them too!
Nice picture, Carla

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, they are not all in one bed... they are scatered around the garden... but I don't have enough on the major dahlia garden....

oh I have a new one opening... really beautiful... just took pictures this morning...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Finally got a nice flower on Summer Night. Kind of a small flower.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

A better flower on Friquolet now too. A bit small too - small BB.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Only new one today - Hollyhill Electra. Nice sized orange one.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

A have Camano Phantom and this one pretty close together - they are exactly the same color - Karma Naomi again.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nice ones Al. I had only a fair turnout on Summer Night this year, but it's still going to be a staple dark red here. Next year, it's going back to where I originally planted it and did great.

Hollyhill Electra looks like a nice orange.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Only one new one today. Koinoina(sp) from Pooch.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch - here is a shot with Polventon Supreme on the left and Golden Sceptor on the right.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Much nicer flower on Kenora Macomp B now.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.