Propagating cranesbill geranium

Rockton, PA

I have a geranium I love that I would like to proagate but don't know the best time or way to do it.
Any recommendations?

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I usually divide the whole clump in the spring , but I don't know why you can't in the fall also.
I have read people having good luck with winter sown seeds. I am planning to give that a try this year.
This is my first of many and still favorite (Bloody cranesbill )

Thumbnail by gardengus
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I usually start my seeds indoors in sterilized medium. I use an emery board on the seeds before planting to encourage germination. I prick out the young plants when they get their first true leaves. Germination can be quite irratic, so don't give up on the rest. When the outdoor temps are above freezing and I've transplanted the seedlings that germinated indoors, I set the germination tray outdoors. I often have seedlings popping up in June and July.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

alinehuey
I am successful in splitting my cranesbill almost anytime of the year
now's a good time so that the roots get a chance to establish before the winter
dig up the clump and you'll find that the whole thing pretty well falls apart into separate roots - you'll just need to pull them apart a bit
judy

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Good info, Judy. I may try dividing my Johnson's Blue next spring. I'm always reluctant to separate plants unless I know they don't resent it.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I dug my Johnson's blue this spring ,split it, and I now have a bunch of little plants growing where it use to be planted. Don.t know if they are from seeds or pieces of root I missed.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

If it is a true Johnson's Blue, you must have left some roots. They are sterile and don't put out seeds. After mine blooms, seeds don't develop in the heads.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Johnsons Blue roots go WAAAAAAAAAAAAY down! I have dug out 3 areas where I had it and I dont plant anything there for weeks (or maybe not until next spring!) as I wait for the roots I have missed to produce new seedlings!

Rockton, PA

I don't want to dig up the whole plant and I am inclined to think this cranesbill is sterile too.
I think I will try to split the plant as Sammigirl does.
Aline

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Aline, it's a little late in the season but you might want to try cuttings next year. A few years ago I cut back one of my perennial Geraniums and stuck the cuttings in a pail of water - two weeks later they were one huge mass of roots and ready for planting!

Rockton, PA

rcn48
when is the best time to do that?
I did put some of the stems under soil the other day, still attached to the plant, hoping they will root.
Aline

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Aline, the "best" time to do it would be in spring or early summer. Not sure of your zone but if you have a month left before frost, you might try a few cuttings - they should root within a couple of weeks - then when you plant them, snip the heads off - that way the plant hopefully will concentrate more on sending out the important root system it needs to get it through the winter instead of supporting all that foliage. Let me know if you're successful, I might need to try the same thing next year since it seems like I always procrastinate and September is here before you know it!

Debbie

Rockton, PA

I definately will try that in the spring.
Actually, Roxanne is the plant I want to multiply for some of my other gardens. It is so wonderfull. I wish I had a picture to post. I tried to buy some more at a local nursery but the owner said she didn't grow more because she couldn't sell them.
I wish she could see what a wonderful plant this is. It has bloomed all summer like crazy.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Aline, do you mean 'Rozanne' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57636/? It IS a "wonderful plant"! One of the few Geraniums that WILL bloom all summer. I understand however why your local nursery might not carry them any longer - they're really difficult to keep looking pretty in the pot - constantly need cutting back - not a problem in the garden! You might be able to find more next year - it's Perennial Plant of the Year for 2008 :)

Rockton, PA

Yes I mean Rozanne. Sorry so easy to hit the wrong key.
Yes I love that plant. I am delighted to see it is going to be the 2008 plant of the year and I know why! Maybe my local nursery will have them again if that is the case. Meanwhile I want more and am looking for the best way to make them spread for my other gardens.
Do you have Rozanne?

Rockton, PA

Hey rcn48 thanks for that link. I just checked it out the only picture that does this plant justice is Calif Sue's picture. Mine has looked like that all summer! Also I see there it does not set viable seed. I didn't think so as I have looked and don't see any pods.
Meanwhile I am doing the stems covered in dirt thing and see what happens and nest year I will try making new plants.
Is that against the law?
Aline

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've never tried to root the stem cuttings of hardy geranium. I'm going to give it a try next spring. What part of the cutting? More than just the leaves? I'd like to give Rozanne a try. I've grown both G. himalayense x G. wallichianum, so it might do well here. I grow most everything from seed, so it's good to know that stem cuttings will root from those that don't come true from seed or are sterile. When I start the dark-leafed geranium from seed, only a percentage will have the dark foliage. Cuttings should guarantee it.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

can I ask - why can't you split a piece off the mother plant to make a new one?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

sammi, you can definitely split a piece of the mother plant to make more, just that if it's a young plant cuttings would be a faster method. Give it three years however, and you'll have more than enough to split!

Weezing, the Geranium I tried cuttings of was an unidentified G. macrorrhizum variety, with long woody stems. I was actually just "pruning" the plant because it was getting way too big! Then thought I hated to waste the cuttings, so stuck them in the pail of water and was pleasantly surprised to see how fast they rooted. The cuttings were quite long, 6"-10", but I'm sure any size cutting would work - mine sent out roots all the way up the stem!

Aline, propagation is "prohibited" but the plant police won't come for you if you're just making new babies for your garden - if you were to sell them, now that's another story! I do have Rozanne in the garden - have had "her" for two years, but really needs to be moved - either too shady or crappy soil and just doesn't seem fair - needs to be somewhere she can strut her stuff! LOL

Good luck :)
Debbie

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the clarification, Debbie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.