August garden photos?

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any garden photos taken this month. August seems to have a slow down for me and I'm trying to make August a month with lots of pretty blooms too. Would love to see some photos to help give me some ideas!
Thanks!!!
Sherry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are a couple of shots of some of my California natives in bloom last week

Thumbnail by ecrane3
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

And another:

Thumbnail by ecrane3
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

It's hot and dry here but the garden has a bit of color mainly from the annuals--zinnias, cosmos and rudbeckia hirta-- but I do have a few perennials in bloom--

Here's a pic of my phlox Davidii with a swallowtail visiting.

Thumbnail by tabasco

And here's a shot of the sunny border--there are annuals planted in with the perennials here.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

ecrane3,
Wow! How pretty. What is the tall purple in the back on your first picture?

tabasco,
Cool! Neat shot of the swallowtail. I also have rudbeckia hirta, phlox and a few cosmos. Your second shot is very pretty. You still have lilies and daylilies blooming? Wow.

Sherry

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

August view of north section of N E corner of garden:
asters, rudbeckia, 4 o'clocks, & dahlias and glads...

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 9:33 PM

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

containers: Pineapple lilies and Gloriosas.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Coleus lined pathway.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Stand of rudbeckias.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nicotiana.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Too-tall coleus, with caladium, canna, and impatiens. The impatiens are perennials for me.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sherry--did you mean the dark pinkish ones that there are a lot of and you can see clearly in the picture? That's Eriogonum grande var. rubescens. There are some purple flowers behind that which you can't see as clearly and there aren't as many flowers, that's Solanum xanti 'Salmon Creek'

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

j - you have a lot of asters already. I have a few stray flowers on mine.

echinacea and rudbeckia

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

helenium are a great late summer perennial

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Sherry,
I'm with you. I've just been in the yard pulling and cutting back dead looking stuff. I moved here last Sept 1 so being the first fall, I don't really have things blooming. The beds look bare. The glads just finished, the few zinna that I did get planted look great, the roses are randomly blooming and the dahlia from the "co-op from helL" are beginning to bloom. I need things too.

Crane, are the pineapple lily annual? Those are huge! I would love to find some of those. I've never tried them but your yard is stunning.

Kathy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't have any pineapple lilies, maybe they were in someone else's picture? I think they're perennials but I've never grown them so I don't know for sure.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

jmorth - has these beautiful plants - sorry for the mix up. They are stunning.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's a different perspective on the pineapple lilies -
Plants are from bulbs that are overwintered in basement.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

jnorth,is that huge one a pineapple lily also? I ordered 6 bulbs for the first time ,around end of March I planted them and kept them in GH. I gave my daughter a pot of 3 and they bloomed end of May. I kept the other pot of 3 but I still have no blooms on them.
How do you go abt the little bulbs, do you seperate them or let them grow with the big bulb>? Mine had a bunch of babies when I received them and I just left them with the big bulbs,but my pots are really full.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is a new MUST HAVE plant for me. Those are stunning and the rest of your garden is clean and beautiful too. Any idea where you got the great bulbs? You really have a well manicured garden.

Kathy

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

s--mom. I ordered my bulbs off of buggycrazy. I dont have her address anymore.

She sent me huge bulbs with lots of small ones along the sides. If you go to pf her adress might turn up.look for eucomis.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's my August garden, some flowering, some not. The morning glories are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Kathy- The large Pineapple Lily is Eucomis Pole-Evansii, the smaller pineapple lilies are Eucomis autumnalis. I've had the lesser pineapples for years; the greater I've had for 3 years. Mine came from Brent & Becky's (though I likewise think Buggycrazy is an excellent source).
Oriole- The autumnalis seem to replicate well. I started with 3 in a large pot. The 3 multiplied and filled the pot; I put half of those in another large pot, now I've got 2 large pots full of the lesser pineapples and 1 pot with the giant pineapple.
Al- the aster pictured is Wonder of Staffa (Aster Frikartii). It's been blooming since July. I've several other asters (New England asters) that have only shown an occasional bloom like yours. When the others all bloom together, it'll be a purple paradise in my backyard.
J

Rancho Cordova, CA(Zone 9a)

how about black eyed susan

Thumbnail by jimrader

Great late summer pics! I am always looking for perennial color ideas this time of year! And, jmorth, what a wonderful pineapple lily -- I am not familiar with that plant but I'l look it up on 'Buggycrazy's' site. rev, your shot of the balcony is interesting. You really pack a lot in there and the morning glory is wonderful.

Sherry, I do have a few daylilies and lilies still blooming in the garden in August, although that pic was taken a couple of weeks before I posted it. I chose my daylilies for late season bloom times because I wanted color later in the summer.

I planted an 'Indian Summer' black eyed susan this year. It really has had a long bloom time and I hope it comes back. It's stll going strong in the garden, too.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I have lots of roses blooming, here is a shot I chose because it has blackeyed susans, pink cosmos and shorter orange cosmos in the background. They bloom every Fall for me, I let them reseed and pull out the ones I don't want.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

These bloom all summer here, but are the brightest blooms in my yard in the fall. A purple sage and a Pride of Barbados bird of paradise.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have sweet autumn clematis blooming...and lots of Lantana, and Canna, a lot of mine are just so dry now...normally this is a great time of year, just not enough rain!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Red King Humbert Canna and yellow mounding lantana....

Thumbnail by JanetS
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

ecrane 3,
It must be the Eriogonum grande var. rubescens. It's the tall, wispy looking pinkish/purple that you see a lot of. It's in front of the rocks in your picture. Very pretty.

jmorth,
I've been seriously thinking about adding asters for late color. The Pineapple lilies and Gloriosas are awesome, but not hardy here, right? I'm trying to add hardy plants. I LOVE your Coleus lined pathway! And the stone edge is beautiful. I will have to look up Nicotiana. I have never had any of that. How tall does it get?

DebinSC,
Beautiful! But all those are annuals here. Trying to find hardy perennials. Guess I should have been more specific. But I do love all those plants. I grew 3 cannas this year called 'president'. They are growing, but don't think they will flower this year. Don't know if they are in too much shade or the bulbs? were too dry and small when planted. Bums me out because I was looking forward to seeing them bloom. ;o(

bigcityal,
Will have to look up heleniums. Never had those either. Thank you.

revclaus,
Pretty balcony! What are the pinish/purple in the lower right of your photo? Very pretty.

jimrader,
Yes, must not forget the black eyed susans. I do have those though.

tabasco,
Thank you for the info. I will try to find what daylilies I still have blooming. There are a few, even though I don't have even near as many as most here have. Yet, anyhow. LOL

cactuspatch,
That second picture is beautiful! Will have to consider some sage. But I think the bird of paradise may be too large for where I need them. Thank you.

JanetS,
Wow! Look at that clematis! I have one growing that hasn't bloomed yet. It was supposed to be Will Goodwin. But after seeing the buds on yours, I'm wondering if mine is a Sweet Autumn. If it is, I better move it to a better location! Love the canna! Like I said, I have 3, but not blooming yet. ;o( Does lantana like it dry? I haven't had a lot of luck with lantana. I think my gardens get too much for lantana.

This thread is a great help to me for getting ideas for that August color in the garden. I will look and see what I have blooming now and post some pictures of what I find. The photo at the top in my first post is blooming now in that island bed. So that bed has a lot of color. But I have 2 other garden beds that need help!!!

Thanks guys. Keep those ideas coming!

Sherry

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Lantana here better like it dry...we have been 21 days with over 90 degree weather and no rain it has been terrible drought! LOL Sweet Autumn smells so sweet! I have it growing on one of my Camellia bushes right now. I will cut it back in a few days and see if I can contain it for next year...it is so invasive for me...I have taken so much out already, but I love it and hate to loose it all!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here are a few photos of things blooming now for me. I have that island bed with things blooming like crazy, but here are some things from my other garden beds. These are the ones I was talking about that are slowing down now. But they are different shape and types of beds. So not all the same things will work in these beds. And I want some different things anyhow. ;o)

Lets see... First, a couple of daylilies. Here is one that has bloomed and bloomed. And it was only planted last fall. Can't wait until next year when it's bigger! And you can see it clear across the yard! And my yard is big!

This is Tuscawilla Tigress.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And here is Jewel Of The Morning, still blooming.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And this cardinal flower is a gorgeous color of red and it will bloom until frost.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And this lily photo is from Aug 6th and it's still blooming. My first year with it and I really like it.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Another daylily that keeps blooming. Classic Romance
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And here is Beard's Tongue. This is my first year with it and I think I am really going to like it. And it is blooming like crazy.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And one more daylily that has amazed me. Barbara Mitchell is STILL blooming. I think it started sometime at the beginning of June. I have added many daylilies to one of my beds, but have to wait until next year to see them all. I have a lot of others that already bloomed. But these were some that are still blooming in August.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Your pictures are great! Those are beautiful Daylilies! All of them!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.