Non-blooming crape myrtles

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

This is my first post. I hope some of you know what you are doing when it comes to crape myrtles, apparently I don't ! Last year and this year my "Natchez" crape myrtle (8 ft tall) failed to flower. Last fall I planted 4 "Red Dynamite" crape myrtles, one is flowering, the other 3 are not. Even though we are in a "moderate" drought, I have been watering regularly. Help, I always thought I had a green thumb, but I am clueless as to what to do about these trees!!!!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are they showing any other symptoms of distress? Sometimes trees/shrubs will take a couple years in the ground before they really get going and put on a good show. And there was that Easter cold snap that could have hit them and done some damage which may make them slow to bloom or not bloom this year. Or if you pruned them in the last few months they may not bloom either. If they overall look healthy then I wouldn't worry too much.

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

ecrane3

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I spent my whole life in the suburbs north of Washington, DC. I know good old Maryland clay, but the "soil" on the Virginia penisula is something I'm still learning to deal with, after 3 years. Again, Thanks.

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

Pam any update on your crypt? I think taking a chemical analysis should be the first step. Will help find the deficient nutrients. Spraying the plants with micronutrients helps a lot. I also have the same issues and have made a dent by slightly trimming the tops prior to winter setting in.
Mulching has also helped. Vertical mulching also sounds very good.
Please respond with your experience. I have the same experience with oleanders.
Jamshed

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That's crazy talk.

Crapemyrtles are among the easiests plants to grow under almost any soil condition short of permanent standing water.

Don't waste time/effort on doing anything but letting these plants grow. A cold winter will kill off some old wood, but new sprouts more than make up for that loss.

Quit over-analyzing things, and let the plants grow already.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This may be obvious, but I presume they're planted in sun? They won't bloom much if too shady.

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

I live in Sugar Land, Tx. The land was under heavy phosphates due to clay. Texas A & M Univ. Research team helps with detailed analysis I am following. My oleanders are flowering with deep red color I cherish. Use of basic science is not over analysis. But whatever works for you is what matters most.
Regards

If interested I can provide more details asto what, how and when of flowering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.