What can you tell me about "Telstar" bulb Iris?

(Zone 5b)

I have pretty much written off 'bulbs' in general because they don't seem to...er...*I* can't seem to get them to work effectively in my 'wild cottage' garden look.
I have good luck with Siberians, and have a stand of TB in another section.

A co-worker just got an arrangement from ProFlowers, and I called and got the info that they are 'Telstar' Iris. In bloom NOW (!!!?)

While I like the idea of a late-blooming Iris, I don't know anything about these, or if they need special care & handling like a lot of bulb products do.

Do you grow them? I'm in Z5 in New Hampshire.
Thanks!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Telstar in the iris registry is listed as a TB, not a 'bulb' iris.
inanda aka Ginny

Edited to add: When you google Telstar iris you get a ton of Dutch iris pix.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 9:33 AM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Since AIS doesn't register bulbous irises, your Telstar is probably a Dutch iris, as Ginny mentioned seeing in the pics.

(Zone 5b)

so more than likely this "flower shop" product was forced in controlled settings somewhere, and not a 'natural' bloom cycle? Even the Dutch sites say this should be typically blooming late spring/early summer.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

correct

(Zone 5b)

Ok, then.. Moving right along...crossing the Dutch bulbous off the list...who's got the next sale for SI or TBs?? LOL!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Telstar is a dutch iris bred for the florist industry. There is a whole line of Telstar thingees--dianthus, a lily, I think, etc.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

SI = Sibs = siberians????
You MIGHT just MIGHT be able to get them to bloom if you have them in a secluded warm spot with lots of winter mulch.

inanda

(Zone 5b)

SI = Siberian Iris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.