Intergeneric hybird

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I tried to add an intergeneric hybrid into Plantfiles and it would not accept it because it did not recognize the intergeneric genus name. What is the correct way to add it when it is X the name, just start with X? LOL, that is easy. Should I just ask for the new genus name to be added?

THANKS

Thumbnail by Kell
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ideally, start with a times sign: ×

To type ×, hold down the Alt key, and enter 0215 on the number keypad (right hand end of keyboard). Alternatively, copy the one above and paste it in ;-)

Resin

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you, Resin. Sounds so complicated, can't I just use the small case x? So is it good form to have the X higher above the line?

I was interested in if I should enter X in front of the name under genus. I assume I do but I guess I need to get someone to add the name to the genus pool so I can add it. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Liz, where are you? LOL. Do you know about entering an intergeneric hybrid?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

In general, it's best to use a times sign, otherwise there's a risk of confusing it with names that begin with an 'x' (e.g. Rosa xanthina, Xanthoceras, etc.).

Resin

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Makes sense, Resin! Thanks so much for taking your time to help me out. That is so nice.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I thought Resin said it all, that's why I didn't chime in :-) I didn't know the trick about using the times sign instead of the letter x, but for that to work, Terry or whoever adds the genus into the database would have to do it that way too.

For the two intergeneric hybrids that I'm familiar with, one of them is entered in PF incorrectly with the x left out (Laburnocytisus adamii)...one of these days I'll get around to reporting an error on that one. And the other one is listed with a capital X, then a space (X Ruttyruspolia)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Keep in mind that all family and generic (genus) names must match our checklist of validated names. That holds true for intergeneric names, too.

If you're having problems creating an entry for an intergeneric hybrid, you probably need to report it to the PlantFiles editors (there's a link on the error note) and let us add it to the checklist.

We don't use the true times sign, but instead use a big "X" in front of intergeneric names and a small "x" for interspecific names. The "times" sign is more precisely correct for scientfic notation, but we don't use it for two reasons:

1) some browsers really mangle non-alphanumeric symbols; and
2) it leads to duplicates when we have some people using "x" and others using "×"

Since most casual readers wouldn't notice the difference, we went with the one that's easier for the general public to find on their keyboard ;o)

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

So Kell, is that the tree at the SF Botanical Gardens near the gate? I have an image too but never got the name.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images