Echinecea/Coneflower centers turning black and ugly!!!

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

The centers of my beautiful echinecea are all turning black and warty looking, very ugly, and the bees and butterflies won't even come to them now. I have a feeling it's the work of a tiny worm (because I've spotted several of them on the centers) but I don't know. The pretty centers just turn mushy, and even the brand new buds have it as soon as they open now. Any thoughts? Please help, I was so proud of my echinecea when it first bloomed, it was the best I've ever had!

Thumbnail by thea611
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

? I wish I knew, I hope someone can tell you. ANYONE? (siren's blowing, lights flashing) - I've never seen anything like it!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I found some kind of tiny black worm/caterpillar on my Sunrise yesterday. It was covered, Yuck!!!! Today I noticed bug poop all over several leaves. I wish I would have taken a pic.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Sounds like the same thing, Nanny.... Oh, (light bulb) ... have you posted on the bug forum Thea?

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll try that AuntB, thanks, I didn't think of that!!!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Any luck figuring out what was happening with your coneflowers?

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

Well pennefeather, all I could find were the tiny little worms in the center of each one, burrowing deep within the cone. I don't know what they are the larval form of, but they're nasty little buggers, and they destroyed each bloom!! I cut off all the blooms I had, and I have a new one just opening and it looks good for now! But it's late in the season and I don't think I'll get many more blooms now; I'm mad that the best coneflowers I've ever had got so destroyed!
Thanks for asking, have you had this problem too?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I had this problem last year, but never figured out what it was. I know I could spray for it, but then the flowers would be ruined for the butterlfies, which is the reason I am growing them in the first place!

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

llloquin, I'm going to grow more echinecea this year, from seed, and I HOPE I don't have the same problem!! I too am growing my flowers for the butterflies and bees, so I can't use stuff strong enough to kill these pests, I really hope I have better luck this year!!

Santa Fe, NM

My echinecea wasn't very good last year either. Different problem, no bugs, just looking spindly and unhappy. I don't use any sprays. We'll see what 2008 brings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.