SW Montana Fires/Visibility

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Just thought I'd post a couple pics I took this afternoon about 4:30p. This is what our sky looks like at this time with all the fires burning. Can't really tell if there's clouds up there or not. We're closing in on about 500,000 acres burned so far and this is what it looks like when it settles in our valley. Though the photo doesn't show it that well, the sun is nothing but a redish-orange ball in the afternoon sky.

Ed

Thumbnail by edder
Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

What it looks like to to the east....

Thumbnail by edder
Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

For comparison purposes, this is what it basically looks like without the smoke...as you can see we actually have mountains to view....

Ed

Thumbnail by edder
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I feel for you in that smoke. that's from the Missoula fire.?
Or do you have a nother un going even closer to Deer Lodge?
'Tis the year for em. We have definitely been lucky here in this valley. The few that have started were stamped out swiftly.

Don;'t be exercising in that kinda stuff. bad air

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

From the Missoula/Bitterroot and Idaho fires...we have better than 20 burning now...and, last I knew, we have the top 4 in the nation...

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

That first picture is amazing...How far away is the fire? Are you threatend by this wildfire and constantly monitoring it?

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Yes, it's something alright...it gets pretty nasty at times. At least over the past couple of days it's cleared up somewhat so we can now see the mountains, clouds and what appears to be a blue sky...

Otherwise, no, we're not in any danger here....folks to our north and west of here have been having a time of evacuation and then being able to go back home only to evacuate again....so it's pretty rough on them. If you go to http://www.missoulian.com you can ck out the latest info on one of the newer fires that started earlier this week and it's just exploded over the past couple of days....

We've been very fortunate where I live to not have any fires get started with thunderstorms that have been going through with all the lightening and such. We have mountains on either side of us and over the years have only had a spot fire here and there. Nothing devastating. Which is pretty good. If we do get something at some time, it'll certainly be interesting, but we keep praying that that doesn't happen. This valley normally only gets loaded up with smoke and over the past several years it just gets worse and worse in that regards.

Well, I'll run for now, I've got to go pull a bunch of tomatoes out of the greenhouse cause we're making some more salsa.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.