More pasture management

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

So, I was reading a study on "The Horse" the other day done by Ohio State... titled : "Late Season Oats Can Reduce Autumn Hay Use". http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=10069 , if you're interested...

I feed all the ponies two cups of whole oats twice per day anyway - one because that's what both my buds in Phx and Terri, the owner of the barn where Hank first stayed here fed theirs. Two, because my friend had chickens who would clear up the manure that had oats in it, and birds do break down my piles here, though not nearly as cleanly.

After reading this study, I decided to add to whatever was in the manure that I spread and so I bought some extra bags - 50 lbs is $10 - and am putting it down before I spread the manure in the pasture.... mostly 'cause I don't have a plow.

Of course, it's all a moot point if it doesn't rain, soon....

Comments? Suggestions? Loud laughter? For all the sweat I've poured into it, I sure hope *something* helps. But we're back to drought conditions like the beginning of the summer and I'm quite nervous about the whole hay thing.

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!