South Texas Flooding, again?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Anybody in our "weather crew" know more about the tropical junk headed to Corpus Christi in the next 24 hours?

I know it's not a named storm, yet, but I think they're predicting it will be. With over 30 inches of extra rainfall this year already, the Victoria area does NOT need more rain. Might not seem as news-worthy as a hurricane in the ocean, but we're already saturated...

Help me stay informed, please..... Sorry for the caps - it's how it was sent to me at work.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION FIVE INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 2A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052007
700 AM CDT WED AUG 15 2007

...DEPRESSION EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN LATER TODAY...

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE TEXAS COAST FROM
FREEPORT SOUTHWARD...AND FOR THE NORTHEAST COAST OF MEXICO FROM RIO
SAN FERNANDO NORTHWARD.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 700 AM CDT...1200Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION FIVE WAS
ESTIMATED NEAR LATITUDE 24.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 93.0 WEST OR ABOUT
275 MILES...450 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF BROWNSVILLE TEXAS AND ABOUT
310 MILES...500 KM...EAST OF LA PESCA MEXICO.

THE DEPRESSION APPEARS TO BE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR
13 MPH. ON THIS TRACK...THE CENTER OF THE DEPRESSION IS FORECAST TO
BE NEAR THE LOWER OR MIDDLE TEXAS COAST THURSDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 30 MPH...45 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. A NOAA RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS CURRENTLY APPROACHING THE
DEPRESSION. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS AND THE DEPRESSION IS FORECAST TO BECOME A TROPICAL STORM
PRIOR TO MAKING LANDFALL.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1006 MB...29.71 INCHES.

TOTAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE
MIDDLE TEXAS COAST...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 8 INCHES.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

image update this morning

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Whew, you sure don't need any more rain. The info you printed is from an advisory at the National Hurricane Center. That's where most of us get our info...that and our local weather stations
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Each public advisory should give you a time that they will be updating/uploading the next advisory. Keep an eye on them...they are your best source of info right now

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Angel.......
Floridian is right, that link is the BEST info you can get. It also let's you click on local advise and warnings. NOAA usually updates at 11AM and 5PM.

This is from the forcaster's dicussion this AM. See if it changes at the 11AM update, or after the flight data comes in.
Pati

THE CURRENT LACKOF ORGANIZATION ARGUES AGAINST SIGNIFICANT STRENGTHENING. EVEN IF THE DEPRESSION CAN BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED LATER TODAY...IT
WOULD ONLY HAVE A DAY OR SO OVER WATER.

THE OFFICIAL INTENSITY FORECAST THEREFORE CALLS FOR A LITTLE STRENGTHENING PRIOR TO LANDFALL.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

thank you, Pati....

The less it strengthens, the more I can relax & breathe... I wish I had taken pictures & loaded them on here during the last 11" we got at my house in 6 hours... Ya'll could understand better, perhaps. After the 11" in one day, we got 1-2" every day for over two weeks after that.

My mental stability can't handle another month straight of rain.. This little weenie storm can come & go just in a day or two, and start drying out again, I'll be just fine... =)

Heads up Angel! You are now the proud owner of TD Erin. This is from NOAA and shows both our beauties!
Pati

Thumbnail by patischell
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

URGH....

Can I trade with somebody else for ownership?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

It's raining at work already.

BAH humBug!

Bummer!! Just Googled your home town to see how close to the coast you were. Thank goodness you aren't on a barrier island.

Pretty town...the satellite view shows lots of trees in town. Keep horsies, doggies and your feet dry!
Pati

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

We'll be wet, there's no question... Update from work is 2-3" expected. Hopefully we'll get no more than that.

Since the ground is already saturated, and rivers had just started receeding, it'll be a mess again... But hopefully nothing horrid that'll take more than a day or two to dry out. I've got super sandy soil... Might be to my advantage.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a map of the expected path. Hang in there, Angel Song! :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

How's your weather this morning?

Here's part of a CNN report, dateline Corpus Christie: Bands of rainfall spun off by Tropical Storm Erin rolled ashore along the Texas Gulf Coast early Thursday.

Texas officials mobilized National Guard troops and water rescue teams to deal with Erin's landfall.

Forecasters said Erin, with 40 mph winds, was not expected to achieve hurricane strength before reaching the shore. But up to 8 inches of rain and a storm surge of up to 3 feet are forecast for coastal areas of Texas, where a tropical storm warning was in effect.

Adding this radar/models link: http://www.hurricanecity.com/closeup.htm

This message was edited Aug 16, 2007 6:23 AM

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

At the house, a little NE of Victoria, not so bad. Puddles, but nothing flooding over the road. Last heavy rainfall, the roads were flooded to the house. This morning, not so bad.

Closer to work, it's a mess. Flooded road ditches, water EVERYWHERE around the plant. Yuckie-er here at work than home.

Hoping it passes on by & rains on someone else who needs it more than I do.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I see on the news y'all have gotten lots of rain from Erin. Houston had gotten 6inches as of last night! How much more is expected and how are you faring?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

We're GREAT at my house.... It's reallly weird.. Houston got slammed, and I feel bad, but we didn't need anymore.

Off & on pop up showers, but they're light.... It's really really weird. I figured on a lot of rain, and a mess... it seems to be flying on by...

Here's hoping Dean gets the hint & steers somewhere else.

thanks for asking.... =)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, good, AngelSong. I was worried about you, too. :-)

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Looks like, overall, the big cities got it, this time. Trying to get my ducks in order to head to a horse show. Need to bathe the big man, but the rains won't hold off long enough.... not sure when I'm going to do it, but it's going to need done at some point before tomorrow morning.. sheesh...

Hope my reaction about Houston didn't seem like I don't care... It's just sometimes easier to live in town than it is in the boonies when weather hits. Even downtown Victoria has it easier in heavy rain... it's got somewhere to go... down the sewer drains. Here, it just floods the roadways & lays around... nowhere for it to drain to.

YUCK. It's been too much this summer...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Magnolia update:
Rain stopped last nite. Not much today but a couple of sprinkles.
Then I headed for Dallas about 1pm!
I was NOT looking but I found some more of Erin!!!!!! Rain so hard that you could NOT see 3 car lengths in front of you!!!
Erin has NOT left the state!!! He still has vicious bands of HEAVY rain out there!
Tonite, going to dinner in Big D, City_Sylvia & I found some more coming thru Dallas! I don't really think it was my driving that scared her so bad!!! lol

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We're seeing video out of San Anton and Houston...amazing flooding. We've pretty much lost all the news about Erin, except the aftermath...what is happening now?

Jen, how far do you live from these towns?

Smockette, that's some heavy rain! Wow. My sister lives out northwest (?) of Dallas. I wonder how they fared? Could be that out that way they got nothing,,,or lots! Crazy weather!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Floridian - I'm guessing you mean me. Victoria's on most maps... I'm about 2 hours SW of Houston (down the coast), 2 hours SE of San Antonio, 1 1/2 hours NE of Corpus Christi. One local joke is we're "in the middle of nowhere, but within a reasonabiel drive to everywhere."

Talked to a girl at a horse show yesterday - from Kerrville. She said she had 6" in one day from Erin, flooded the road to her horse, so he didn't get to show. She came with a younger girl & helped her along. I think the back-side of the storm dropped more rain than the coast front on this one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.