Whats your potting workspace like

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Mine is in the Gazebo/Rotunda. I have stuff everywhere. Buckets with pots awaiting washing. Buckets with clean pots. Buckets with plants awaiting potting. Buckets with cuttings. Tools leaning against every post. Bags and more buckets of soil, gypsum, organic life, blood and bone.
I share the gazebo with the BBQ, plastic chairs, a glass table, old junk (pram,washing machine,saws e.t.c) Wine barrel, pool pump,and all sorts of odds and ends.
I wont tell you about the garage or my kitchen and dining room tables, or my computer and work desks! (seeds, books, e.t.c) But I said I wouldn't tell you............

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Tucked in behind the washing machine is an old door I pull out and lay on trestle legs. This is my bench for potting. At least I can give it a wipe and bleach and get it pretty clean. The washing machine also doubles as storage space for things needing potting, as I can put water in it, and drain it later.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Stuff is good. Can't have enough of it. What is the little carriage in the second picture?

Some people credit Leslie Woodruff's rather haphazard sheds and greenhouses with the sucess of his lilies. In Flower Confidential Amy Stewart quotes one grower as saying if a lily could make it in the conditions the developer of "Stargazer" worked in, the lily could make it anywhere.

True or not, I've found it a useful excuse.

And, besides, this is supposed to be fun and the final product is the point anyways, right?

That said...I would really like a well ordered potting shed but....well...there is always something more important than getting things organized.

And besides, to me, things are organized.

Others just don't see the pattern.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

well thanks for that. I too know where everything is, and everything has its place, but when it comes time for a BBQ then I have to clean up and put it all away somewhere. Then it becomes a nuisance trying to remember where it all went!
I actually cleaned up for the photo you know!
The carriage is an old dolls pram that I picked up at a swap meet about 7 years ago, and much to my husbands horror, I dragged it around for the next few hours!
I've seen some renovated back to their original condition, but I like my stuff a bit worn.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

What is life for, if not to horrify the significant other now and then, LOL, KK.

Merino, Australia

Hello weed-woman and kaelkitty also David_Paul. I had to come in here and look as I would expect weed_woman to be as beautifully organised as her fantastic postings. I was right , she is. I wish I had a permanent place for my potting etc.I tend to use whatever happens to be standing around empty and available. I have an old large wooden wire drum or wheel . It is just the right height to sit at on my old chair. The only trouble is I always have some sort of plants sitting on it. There is always the wheel barrow too, again a good height to sit at. I did once rest a plant pot on the car ( only for a minute ) and was told to keep away from the car as next thing I'd most likely plant something in the boot. Hubby was most irate at the sight of a plant sitting on his pride and joy. I did see a picture once of an old car body that had been turned into a giant plant pot. Looked fantastic. I won't make that suggestion though.
Like you David_Paul, I am organised too. People just can't see my sort of organisation. My daughter calls it organised chaos.
The sun has been out for the last few days but today is slowly getting cloudy. My bulbs are out and there are anemones and ranuncs coming out. Two of my daylilies are still flowering. They never noticed it was winter and have flowered since last summer. I hope they keep going now.
I still have some potting to do so may go and clear off my little table thing. I have an old door down the back too. I wonder if hubby would notice if I brought it up and used it. if I leave a few plants on it he will never know.!!!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Want not, waste not I say! Put it to use Sunset. Well, one thing I've not been accused of is being organised! Organised chaos I reckon. Luckily for me because of the cool weather, we haven't hosted any BBQ's so I haven't had to move stuff for a couple of months. I would really like some cupboards and a stainless steel bench top. I keep looking at them on ebay, and sometimes put a watch on them, but forget to go back and check, hence I miss out.
I would dearly like an igloo aswell, but think it might be awhile before that particular vision is fulfilled. ( I don't mean the eskimo type either)
As for hubby KK, he is frequently horrified!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I had to show you the chaos of (one of) my indoor work space. It's supposed to be for study but has become a dumping ground for books, seed collections, cuttings, paperwork, unfinished craft projects and just recently, a broken toaster! I keep trying to clean it up, but it keeps creeping back out here. Help!!!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.