How do you make watering easier?

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello, I'm finding dragging a hose around in this heat just more than I can handle. Will you share any ways you have found to make this easier? I'm thinking about a weeping system, do you use one you would recommend? Thanks, Cathy

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i've been contemplating the same thing. it's probably either gonna be buying more hose going in different directions, which isn't gonna look pretty sitting around the yard and pasture, or getting a trailer and tank for my tractor so i can fill it up and drive around and water.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have an automatically controlled underground system which is sure nice but there are 3 beds around the house that are not part of it. I bought inexpensive weeping hose and a double connector to the tap so I can turn one side on at a time( the hose needs to go in opposite directions) Wound the hose back and forth thru the bed. Works well.
Next year I am going to put out a bit more money and buy a slightly more sophisticated system ( check out Lee Valley Tools or some place similar) as the holes in the cheap hose are not reliably small and sometimes are spraying rather than weeping!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I use soaker hoses made of recycled tires in many of my beds. I just have to hook a regular hose to them and turn on the spigot. I don't take them up in the winter. Since they are porous and do not hold water they don't freeze and break like many other hoses. This saves me a lot of work in the summer.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I use an underground T-Tape gravity system. Dripworks of California is my source. Their catalog is very helpfull in the design stage. They give free help....IF YOU FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS in their catalog. Their T-Tape is the only T-Tape fully tested and held to commercial use standards. Trust me they have everything you will need for, greenhouse, truck farming, gardening and fish ponds. Their catalog is on line.

I trade with a firm four thousand miles away because they are just flat out the best I have come to know. Rest assured I am a picky picky quality concerned customer.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I semi-bury some of my soaker hoses under mulch or newpapers. This helps to hold the moisture in the soil instead of evaporating into the air.

My hoses usually last about 3 - 5 years and if they spring a leak somewhere I repair them with Gilmore hose repair parts that I buy from Lowes. They are made in the USA and can be reused over and over. Nearly indistructable. 2 screws and 3 parts to most pieces. Even this dummy can use them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.