Is there a "library" anywhere with photos?

(Zone 5b)

Like Tinker's Garden for Daylilies, or the Hosta Library...? I found a nice sale, and most don't have pix.
Thanks for any help- even if it's just a big retail Iris nursery/farm link. Always looking for new sources!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Have you looked at Blue J site? Lots of pictures on there. I don't know enough about the different irises to know if they are true pictures or not, but there sure is a lot.

(Zone 5b)

Holy Smokes- Nice! Thanks!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. I would like to hear someone comment on how accurate the pics are on Blue J.

Hooks, TX

birdsnblooms,
If you just want to see pictures/names&info, click on 'Guides and Information' in the bar menu, then click on plant files. That has a list of plant categories. Click on 'Iris' and see 100's of them that DGers have posted. I did that when I first found DG, and spent 2 or 3 hours just looking at iris.
Really didn't know that there were so many!

Louise

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I second Texas Lou's suggestion. You can also search for a particular cultivar by opening the Search box on plant files. Type in "iris" ( not the quotes) in the common name box. Then type in the iris's name in the Cultivar box. Click on search and there is a good chance you will find the iris you are looking for. I do this all the time.
Not all irises are in Plant Files, but most are. And not all have photos, but a huge percentage do.
I find this especially helpful when dealing with lists of irises for sale without pictures!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I definitely agree with looking at the plant files. I just assumed she was looking for something not in there. Glad you picked up on that.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Another technique I use to find pictures of iris is a google search. Bring up google and enter Iris "XYZ" or whatever. It will bring up all the places Iris XYZ is listed. That includes Dave's Garden. Some irises are harder to find this way because they sound like something else like Iris "Drama" may sound like a play or movie or book and google brings up pages of things you don't want. In that case I put in Iris Hybridizer Name "Drama" and that usually finds the iris. This works when Plant Files doesn't have the cultivar you are looking for. But it also works when you do. Usually Dave's Garden's listing is at the top of the first page of listings.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have purchased from this place. It also has many pictures.
www.iriscitygardens.com

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I like DG Plant Files because I can see how the Iris looks for others plus comments from the DG growers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.