fall veggies

Huntersville, NC

This has been my first vegetable garden ever, and it did well considering the heat and my general disorganization (I have a 2 year old). I would like to try some veggies in the fall such as spinach, lettuce, broccoli (?), chard, and peas. This year I will have to direct sow the seeds which is what I did in the spring. I just don't have the time and am not set up to start seeds indoors this year. I am not sure when I should be planting the seeds, though. It's been SO hot here and it looks like this week, at least, will be more of the same. But I worry if I wait too late then there won't be time to harvest before it starts to get too cold.

So my questions are: when should I just go ahead and sow, and which veggies have the best chance of making it in these conditions (germinating while hot and then growing in cooler fall weather)? Often it is warm here into October and I am cursing the fact that it's fall and I can't wear sweaters, but I haven't looked up the first frost date or anything like that.

Many thanks!!!

Kernville, CA

I have heard of puting a thin layer of leaves (smaller leaves so they can reach light when they sprout) over newly planted seeds to protect from intense heat. I put leaves around tiny plants to keep the soil cool from my intense desert type heat, and they thrive. The cool season plants like spinach, leeks, broccolli may not tolerate direct afternoon sun. I use shade cloth or burlap to cover plants. Ann

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

BlackBird, I'm not sure what zone you are in, I'm in 7b. The market bulletin from GA dept. of agriculture just published a list of when to plant what for fall crops. Maybe NC prints a similar list or you can get the info from your county extension. Here's for GA
Beets 8/1-9/20
Broccoli 8/1-9/1
Cabbage 8/1-10/1
Carrot 8/20-9/15
Collards & Kale 8/1-9/1
Lettuce 9/1-10/1
Onion, green 9/1-12/31
Onion, bulb 10/10-11/10
Radish 9/1-10/15
Spinach 9/1-10/15
Summer Squash 8/1-8/25 (I thought this was interesting, summer squash in the fall!)
Turnip 8/10-10/15

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.