Rose of Sharon

Windsor, Canada

Can a Rose of Sharon be planted in a large pot successfully?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Depends on what you mean by Rose of Sharon . . .

"the Rose of Sharon (this name used for at least three different plants by different people: Hypericum calycinum, Lilium candidum and Tulipa agenensis subsp. boissieri)" – http://rbg310.clients.squiz.net/plant_info/botanical_info/plant_names_and_classification

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Althaea syriacus, Rose of Sharon, can be grown in a pot with some bloom issues I understand. Can you tell me why your are looking at one in a pot? I am guessing they are not hardy in your area maybe? Make it the biggest pot you can get and put it on castors if you can. I do the same things with ferns, tropical fruit trees and a number of other plants.

Windsor, Canada

Thank you for your replys. It is a Althaea Syriarus (Collie Mullens). I Haven't got much sun , so I just wanted to plant it in a pot,and make it movable.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

it will be fine in a pot no worries.

Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

I have a rose of sharon that I havent planted yet. It got lots of buds on it , but when they started to open, they only got this far. Also, the part of the flower you can see, looks like its trying to dry out before they finish.This is the first time I've ever watched them bloom, so I don't know what to expect. Any advice?

Thumbnail by Lynda_45

Sorry these are blurry,but heres the other pic.I don't know if this helps.

Thumbnail by Lynda_45
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have no idea - how has the water been?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Bud drop, or other flowering problems on Hibiscus syriacus is usually caused by too much or too little water or over fertilization. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with yours, but since the leaves show some chlorosis I suspect a soil problem. They do prefer acidic soil.

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. It might be the water,as you said MitchF. We have had a lot of hard rain. Some due to the hurricanes that just teased us. We are here on the N.C. coast.
Snapple- I put it in this bigger pot after it was shipped. I was waiting to plant it. It's mostly just potting soil in it for now. Its part of an order from a nursery that shipped me all the wrong things, then disappeared. It was" Autumn Ridge" Have you heard of it?
Thanks-Lynda

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They've got a less than stellar (actually quite a bit less than stellar) rating in Watchdog http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3246/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.