Raised bed veggie garden & watering

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm doing a variation of square foot gardening. I've never had a veggie garden before, so I'm wondering how often I should water the garden? Daily? Twice a week like we water the rest of the yard? Something else? Thanks DGers :)

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I am new to veggie gardens as well. In my area they need a lot more water than perennials. Right now I water twice a day, and will cut back when the last of the seedlings come up but I also live in a semi-arid environment.

Kernville, CA

Soil should be kept evenly moist for best growth. I had a difficult time doing that, until I got a simple drip system using 1/2 gallon per hour drippers on 1/4" tubing. I run it just 10 minutes a day. The plants have never been better. And the soil nutrients don't leach out like with sprinklers.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Here in the High Desert, the older beds (better soil, better mulching) need watering every day when the temps are over 100 (which is most of the summer), but can go everyother day when the temps dip down to the low 90's. Younger beds have more sand and drain faster, even with mulch. Those ones need daily watering until the temps get into the 80's - which we hope will happen sometime in the next month! We are also very arid here - it's a very muggy day today - the humidity (you Southerners, don't y'all laugh now!!!) is about 9%! (Yes, that's a Nine) One nice thing is that I can water at 2:30 a.m. and not worry about mildew-y kind of stuff. I still try not to water from overhead. Some of the trees have drip systems, but not the veg/flower garden, yet. It isn't too big, though, so it's my 15 minute moonlit & starlit break before getting ready for work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.