Ajuga?? Which category does that fit in.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey guys, I know this is probably the wrong forum but there is not one for the Ajuga. I did not know if it was closer to a coral bell, a coleus or what. I just discovered one at the nursery, bought it and I absolutely love it. It is a dark, dark color and is just so pretty. Would like to know more about them but don't know which thread to ask it in. Any help always appreciated.

Leslie

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

leslie, this link was one of my sources when I was researching ajuga. I use a lot of it as groundcover. My faves are Choc chip and Caitlin's Giant. When you're lucky you can find them at WM, HD, etc. The variegated one did poorly for me

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ajuga.html

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I think that would be the Perrenials Forum. Here it spreads like wildfire! I use it as a groundcover in one large (neglected) bed at the sunny area at the back of the back yard but it keeps sneaking into my shady beds where it grows kind of tall and lanky.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

oops I forgot to comment on that. Yes, I also think it belongs in the Perennials Forum.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

You can also find a pretty good variety at Santa Rosa Gardens, although they are sold out of 'Chocolate Chip'...I really like that one, too!
http://www.santarosagardens.com
Bev

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Here it behaves the way KatyMac describes. It's a royal nuisance that I really hate! I can't get it out of the beds so I'm forever weeding it out only to find it back again in a few weeks. There are thousands of them all over the place and even in the lawn!
MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

That's funny cause I can't grow an Ajuga to save my soul,,,,lol

(Zone 4a)

Ajuga is a groundcover.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Must be a ph thing gardengeek

MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Maybe Molly, I don't know but I lose every single one of them. Same with Lamium. Am not trying either anymore, tried them and lost enough.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It always amazes me how plants can grow like weeds for some people and fail every time for others. For me ajuga is a weed but a nice one and bees love the flowers so I just weed out what I don't need and leave the rest.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I wouldn't mind leaving it but here it chokes out plants I do want so I have to weed it all out.

MollyD

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree with Molly. In our area it will take over quickly and choke out most plants..other than loosestrife, another choker in our area.

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Our soil and climate must really agree with it!

MollyD

Hey Molly...Did you ever get hold of someone at Rawlings? I mean someone that made you fell comfortable enough for the long drive to be worth it, and know they would be open.

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Nope never did. I pretty much gave up on it for this year. Figure next spring would be a better time to go.

MollyD

Make it later spring too. Rawlings is definitely in the heavy snow belt area. They have gotten several feet of snow in April in the past. You would also want to see the gardens; they are to die for.

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

That's right! I forgot that area in east of the lake so they get those huge amounts of snow!
Probably late May you think? I do want to see their gardens. It's so hard to do a nice garden here with the hybridizing cause I have to be able to reach each plant for crossing and then later for checking pods without breaking any scapes. That means extra space around the plants but I do so love to see beautiful planted beds!

MollyD

Rawlings gardens are a hosta lovers dream come true.

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Drooling here! LOL

MollyD

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I actually did get chocolate chip just recently. I love it. So far have not had a problem with invasiveness but I have noted the first one I planted has doubled in size quite rapidly. I just love it though. I hope it does not become a nuisance. Thanks for the info guys. Did not know it was part of the mint family. That was interesting. We will see if it takes over the whole garden. I guess if it does it has to go, or at least I will try to get it to go. LOL.

Thanks everybody.

Leslie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.