'tis the season

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Mahalo to who ever put in the hyperlink....Go to homepage, and then to "have your say" on the right.
John, Katie, so glad to hear that things have lightened up somewhat.
You guys take a lickin' and keep on tickin' !
Keep dem heads low, God speed, ma broddah!
Jenny

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I have been reading this thread with baitedd breath...so concerned!!! John...thinking of you with all my heart to you and yours....!!!! Sorry I never posted...was so busy reading and worrying!!!!!

Alohas...carol

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

John, Caribblue,

So glad to see your post and that things are ok with you and yours!
Watching the weather reports from up in Canada, brings back so many memories of Katrina! Such a helpless feeling.....
Hope the rest of the season goes better for you. The Caymans is such a beautiful island, one of my favorite dive locations.
Cheers
Cath

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

So glad to hear that you and Katie, and the plumies are safe!!!!!!

News says it's going into Mexico, so we are out of the line of fire!

We'll keep praying for you and the other's in its path!

Love to all!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Watch that backside!!!!

Thinking of you!!

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hello all my wonderful DG friends and family! Couldn't have a better "good morning" than seeing John's post and all the wonderful well wishers for those still in Dean's path. I, like Christi, kept checking through the night....laugh at me if you will - I don't care - but I truly feel that all our thoughts pulled together to keep our dear friends safe...and will continue to do so. Thank you all you wonderfull, wonderful friends!

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

We just started to get the rains....winds have died down now and the rain is washing the salt off....we ran down to the end of the street to see the sea..WOW...big seas for sure....curfew still in affect but we had to look...we have lost a bunch of thryallis and some of the bouganvillas are split and broken...Oleanders snapped off....i think we can salvage the thryallis but will have to wait for the wind/rains to subside a bit more....thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers....they most certainly helped as Cayman was spared Dean's wrath...I don't think Mexico is going to be that lucky....Good luck to you folks...we had Ivan on our minds as you have Wilma....Stay safe....

aurabest,
john,katie and spike

here spike is inspecting some of the Oleander damage...

This message was edited Aug 20, 2007 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by caribblue
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH good...you are safe and sound!!! Spike is a 'labbradorable' right....? tree damage should grow right back SOON!!!

Carol

I have to say that this thread has been riveting. John, you were in my thoughts as were all those who were and are in Dean's path, as I woke up this morning. I am grateful for you that you were spared the worst.
My thoughts go out to the people in the Yucatan, that is some monster that is heading their way.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Breathing so much easier this sunny morning! Spike is definately a cutie pie! Now, if I could just get word from my friend in Taipei about how he fared in their typhoon I would indeed be a lucky woman! To attempt a little of Kookaburra's talent:
"it's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiney day"! The wind and rains will clean off the salt, and Cayman will shine again! It will be soo nice to get back to our underwater gardens, eh John? Mexico will be okay. Not to belittle the storm, but Mexico is so used to this, and they are amazingly prepared. One hotel I know of took the residents and the staff on a 10 HOUR bus ride to a sister hotel in a safer area! I was there during a hurricane a few years back, and by mid-afternoon of the next day you wouldn't have known anything had happened. An incredible, resilient and wonderful people. Of course, I will be checking in on them anyway, but I have good feelings about all this now. I feel so very blessed to be in Dave's Garden with such caring, giving people. Not enough words.....

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm so proud everyone is OK. It would take a hard-hearted person for sure to read this thread and not get misty eyes.

Judy

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I have been watching what video the news is getting from Cayman, and it is suprising how much your island resembles my island! No wonder we have so much in common! I'm trying to messenger you John, but having problems....still got power?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Judy - hope you mean misty from joy! Glad you joined in! Welcome, welcome... hope you got a chance to look at some of the other threads....we are not always this intense! How is the heat? Still cooking hot? Sending cooling thoughts.....

Beaumont, TX

Praise the Lord! :)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll second that Connie! and add an Amen!

John, it's good to see your font here. We're just so glad that you are safe! The plants can always be replaced. If there is anything we can do to help you in the aftermath please don't hesitate to ask. We're family, donchaknow! :-)

Many hugs!

Janet

btw, would love to see more photos of Spike! Perhaps he'd like to meet Grace??? (wriggling eyebrows)

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Uh-oh....I can see it now....on-line pet dating! Yikes!!! Hiya Grace! Consider yourself scritched!

G'day all you adorable people whew......great to hear from everyone....it has been such a gut wrenching journey.......feeling helpless when those you care about are in danger.....
I think all of the loving thoughts and prayers coming from all around the World is one of the most beautiful things that I have ever had the absolute joy to witness.....it is not over yet but I feel sure tha the worst is over

Here comes the sun....do do do do.... here comes the sun ...I said....it's alright....here comes the sun :)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Chrissy - sorry to have tried to fill in for you above....but we needed a song. Ha! So glad to hear from you! Isn't this the greatest?!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

My sentiments exactly....Praise the Lord! Whew! Can breath a bit better now! So glad that y'all are OK! Thank you, Jesus! I am a firm believer in the power of prayer!

Again, John, Katie, Spike, so glad that you are OK!

Now we all need to focus those prayers for the people of Mexico and their tourists! I know alot of people here have family there!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

whooooooweeeee! What a great day! Have been out on the street since early morn and acting like I had good sense. I'm with Shari....all the prayers.....concentrating on positive outcome.....God has blessed many. The news I picked up on just minutes ago actually showed Jamiaca coming along fairly well. Southside of the island got a pretty good whippin' but the sun is out and the rest of them are just truckin along. Not sure about the full extent for John but feel sure he and Kate will bounce right back.

"And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth." saith The Lord. Amen

I feel very humbled this night. God has answered prayer in the affirmative.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear you are safe John.

LOL Janet!! Give her a good tummy rub for me.

Dean is a Cat 5 now!!!! 190 mph.

Ok, am hearing on Storm2k that it is only 160. MSNBC said 190. I believe the 160.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2007 7:50 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep...160. Send those positive thoughts on to the folks in Mexico. Keep it working ladies!

All my lovin ....I will send to you....All my lovin....allllll...... my lovin ...oooh......ooooh
all my lovin......I wll send to you!
God speed.........

Katie and I tried to tell the difference between 155 and 205 during Ivan and really couldn't tell which was which...at 150 it is completely white and after 200 the chunks of debris get larger....a cat 5 is a cat 5...catastrophic loss regardless....i wish the Yucatan coast all the best as this will not be good...Our prayers are with you, wish someone from that area was a dg'er and we could have a lifeline set up with them....me no se habla espaniol..too late to get something done now but for the future...Cayman always sends a relief team to wherever a disaster hits....maybe Belize is on the list next week...Have agood night everyone, and enjoy afternoon Shari. Off to bed, it's been quite a weekend.

j

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Get some well deserved rest my friend...good idea on a line to Mexico...we'll work on that.

Yokwe!

S

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

ooohhh, can quit holding my breathe.....John and Kate are ok.

Tomorrow, tomorrow the sun will come out tomorrow.....dodadodedoa......

Look what Dean left this morning...the first one ever!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/762555/

That is a wonderful thing. Wouldn't it have been even more fun if it had been the variety 'Hurricane' that bloomed LOL

Thumbnail by
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh my Dutchlady....that is gorgeous! That really would have been appropriate, but I think he should this plant "Dean" - regardless of what cultivar it is!

Wow! That's a pretty one Dutchlady!
Good for you John - it's the rainbow after the storm!

'Hurricane' bloomed for the first time for me this year and I immediately fell deeply in love...
John sorry to hijack your thread....

Hey everyone! Winding down here in Miami, pins out, cast off, all that...getting more movement out of the thumb with each day it seems....just the therapy now, from all the past surgeries, I know what I have to do....thanks to everyone for thoughts and prayers....they worked and I am on the road to mend...

It appears that I will be heading back to Cayman this afternoon just in time to ready the place for Felix...looks South for now but 83+ water temps could turn this into another beast....deja vue....isn't this how this thread started in the first place? at least I have some use of my right hand now...i hated using my teeth to get a cap off!! Look for you kids later....heading to Florida Colors this morning before the airport...hoping to get some plumie seeds....can't import grafts or cuttings...seeds are questionable...will advise later....

Hope this finds you all well,

aurabest,
john

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Good morning, John. So glad you are doing well. Will start the concentration for Felix to die-off really early.

Hi John!! Glad the hand is much better!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Such good news about your hand John! Good luck with the seeds, and with Felix. We are starting the collective "blow it away"!

Yokwe my friend!

Here we go again! Bay Islands, Honduras, maybe even us if it takes a Northern track....Felix is a monster 5 now....at least the shutters are still in place!!! Is this deja vue or what.....

j

Thumbnail by caribblue
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

God is good everyday and He will continue to protect you. Sorry to hear that yet another system is headed for the islands. Never actually "knew" anyone before and now it has become very personal for Mike and I. Even bought a globe so we can track more accurately.

Christi

Christi's right - these storms take on a whole new meaning when its part of your "family" involved. Batten down the hatches, my friend, you are in our thoughts!

Happy to hear that you are on the mend.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Maybe we need a new thread called "Felix" for info specific to this new one. When I see a new post to "tis the season", my heart jumps a bit until this finally loads and I can read...I agree with everyone else, I spend much more time watching weather now, than I ever did before. Even found myself discussing Felix at a going away party last night!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.