'tis the season

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

I thought this might be a good place for all of us to make factual posts regarding current storms that may be threatening any of us situated in their paths. I see that Flossie is taking aim at some of you in Hawaii, should see some activity over the next few days there. Good luck Carol and Jenny!!!

Let us know how you fair with Flossie, if and when you can...in the meantime, I will keep a watchful eye on www.stormcarib.com and monitor all the active systems, both Atlantic and Pacific...

aurabest,
john

For some reason the Monterey/Navy site is not loading right now....found this link for current satellite and tracking info...

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200709.html

have a look, get prepared

john

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

John, thanks for the link! We are hoping for rain, but not a hurricane! My house doesn't stand a chance with very high winds, it's only held together with termites! The amusing thing is that our shelter is the local school which is even more flimsy looking than my house, and you can't take animals.
Carol's island seems to take more of the storms than we do.....

Oh John, I forgot to add that I hope your hand is getting better....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Very glad to see your post, John. Even though I am land-locked we are always concerned for what nature does to others. We have our share of tornados, although they tend to come in the Spring .

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ditto Lou.

refer to this link for further updates....seems there is more info there...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/749501/

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jenny - What do you do with Brave Heart and Candy in a storm? Do they get super sensitive like other critters? John, thanks for all the links. Don't scratch inside the cast with anything that can cut your skin....!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

John, Have been to the other site and while it is good, the main thrust is not about the storm season. Thank you for beginning this one because it is more focused and the links are very detailed. We can never get enough information. O/T just read in the yahoo news today that Cayman Islands has a longer life span that USA. Would hope that the beauty relieves the stress of the mainland. Take care of yourself and Katie.

Christi

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, John. We're definately keeping our eyes on the tropics and for any disturbances that can get in the gulf. We're very thankful that last year was quiet and are praying that this year will be also for everyone!

Having dogs the size of mine does pose a bit of a problem! Candy doesn't even like the trades in the afternoon and usually goes into my mothers room (the only with an air conditioner!) to nap. Braveheart is okay as long as he is with me. In a hurricane I am not sure what I am going to do, I have a blind mother, a FIL with advanced alzheimers, five semi feral cats, and the dogs to worry about! I have a small studio that is the least exposed part of our house and I guess I will have to get everyone down there to ride it out...getting them all organized will be enough of a problem!
Fingers X'ed!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Pray that you will never have to put a plan into action.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ditto what Christi said! Great thread John...so many DG'ers in various "danger zones"...good idea to keep us all informed and in touch.

Okay kids..the Monterey site is up tonight....just looked.....Carol, Jenny, Janet...all of you...get ready and good luck...please keep us posted.....God Speed..

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

aurabest,
john

This is what is brewing in our future...the models show it going North and we should not experience any weather due to this system that has not reached tropical depression status yet, although it may by later tonight....

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home2.cgi?YEAR=2007&MO=08&BASIN=ATL&STORM_NAME=04L.NONAME&PROD=track_vis&PHOT=yes&ARCHIVE=active&NAV=tc&AGE=Latest&STYLE=tables&AID_DIR=/data/www/atlantic/tropics/track_vis/dmsp

j

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Have a GD somewhere out there on a cruise. Hope it dies down soon.

I wish them well. don't worry, cruise ships, freighters, liveaboard dive boats, fisherman, etc...all keep a very keen eye onall this....our liveaboard trip was altered in 05 due to Hurricane Rita...we spent 2 days in safe harbor til it was safe enough to resume the trip...we were joined by a Carnival Cruise ship on the dock...man was I hung over!

j

Thumbnail by caribblue
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

ooooweeee that looks menacing......

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Opened the shop this morning for the ATI crew, couple of them retireing so made a special effort. Pilot told me - and showed me his map - that Flossie wasn't expected to be really bad for HI...small craft advisory, but not a real problem.....is this what you gals are experiencing? Anybody see any of the meteor show last night? Got up at 3:00 am to watch the "meteor shower"....more like a "meteor trickle" the only shower we got was from sea spray!

Hey john! What do they call that style of ship/boat in front of pic. I can't remember. lol

pepper23....that boat is one of the Nekton liveaboards...not the prettiest thing on the water but it is ultimately comfortable in big seas as the "Swath" designed hull provides stability and smoothness in really rough seas....basically, it is a 20 berth hotel mounted on 2 submarines, hooked together..that is the best way to describe it...the food was great, home made cookies every morning after the first dive, a/c rooms...hot tub, large coolers for all the bevvies...i highly recommend them...

j.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol, Jenny, You two doing okay? What's the damage?

Not hit yet - I am more worried for Carol than ourselves. Just told Shari we had a new flash about a 5 something earthquake off the Big Island, no damage reported, no tsunami generated. I guess when it rains it pours - excuse the pun!
It's weird here, my mother and I both have a splitting headache (maybe the pressure?) and we hardly had any birds singing this evening - rather eerie! Even the parrot next door didn't call for Braveheart while he was eating his diner!
People on the Big Island were getting themselves prepared today with water, etc. No panic over there that we could see - those folks are very stoic and have been through so many challenges, they seem to get most of the bad weather on the islands.
Thank you all for your caring thoughts, Carol - I'll be thinking of you.
J

I get headaches even with major thunderstorms approaching; it is definitely the air pressure.
Everyone on the islands be safe!!

Tropical storm Dean... we knew it was just a matter of time...this quoted text was just taken from stormcarib.com....still too early to tell which direction it will ultimately take...we will see...

"Good morning again!

TD34 is now Tropical Storm Dean and is now forecast to be very near St.
Croix on Sunday as a category 3 after first running over Guadeluope as a
2. The ridge building above the storm has to show weakeness in the next
couple of days or this thing will be truly Ivaneque and head straight into
the Caribbean and eventually the Yucatan and Gulf of Mexico. The other
scenario is it flatlines after going north of our islands and makes a
beeline for Florida and Georgia or even curves again and heads to New
England! So many uncertainties with system at this time. Right now, it's a
race against the clock as to the ridge and Dean."

'beeline for Florida' is NOT what we want to hear, but as you said, it was only a matter of time. Going to check my supply of plywood.....but NOT getting excited until we know a lot more. Thanks for the update!

Too right...no one wants a storm...the best we can do is being prepared, stay informed, most of all, staying safe...Good luck to all of us!!! Thanks for the posts gang!!

john

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Be prepared and keep your loved ones close....that's all any of us can do. The storms come when they come. Just be sure to check on older neighbors near by - and pets of those who leave home for work or whatever reason. We have a phone tree system, that we follow even on foot if the power goes out. Makes everyone breath a little easier, knowing that someone will look in on them.

We do the same here after bad storms and tornadoes. We get out to assess the damage and see if anyone needs help and check on my grandma. We also call my brothers and check on them and see what they know.

Hopefully Dean will not hit anyone. Crossing fingers and toes and I would cross my ears if I could! LOL

Hey Hawaii!!

Earthquake...Flossie..is there anyone there??? Carol, Jenny??? what's happening???? Please advise!

j

chat room open...anyone want to join me?

I'll head over right now. Pretty quiet on here today. lol

that was a bad idea....forget that...we can just catch up here daily....seems every post ends with lol and not everything on here is a laughing matter...

I'm back. A little hard for me to keep up also.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That was just weird....too much raw emotion and misery.....I like it better here! How you doing my friends??

i agree...i could smell the stress.....island time is where i belong.....not lol.

Yeah, I agree. Doing good here. Very tired. Kept waking up last night then I overdid it this morning at work and it just plain wore me out. lol. I had to mop the downstairs of the Chapel and the main area. The main area is slate so you can imagine how hard that would be to mop.

Here is a pic of the Chapel in the front. And yes there is glass there! lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Heard from Carol a bit ago...she was yawnin....not much going on ...and Flossie has moved down to 9KH....so that's a relief. Any more word on Dean, John? (Hi to Katie!)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That looks very pretty Pep....is it in the Gardens?

Glad you heard from Carol. Nice to know things are pretty calm over there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.