common Georgia weed????

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Does someone know what this is?
I thought I planted a butterfly pea vine seed in this spot so I let this grow.
It is not a pea vine! The other ones I planted have grown fine for a comparison.
I have planted seeds for Christmas senna and Candlabra bush but I would never have planted those in this spot! ( I guess there is a small chance I wanted to experiment to see if it would grow outside from seed faster than the ones I started indoors.)
I think I have pulled these up in other places, but this one I let get much bigger and it has yellow flowers. Before it goes to seed and I shoot myself for letting it grow, did the birds bring me a nuisance or is it a nice plant? Or did I really lose my mind and drop in a senna seed?

chris

This message was edited Aug 12, 2007 8:34 AM

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530

flower.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Good pictures. It is a rampant weed here. Had it take over peanuts year before last. Old timers here call it the coffee weed. But it is not the one listed in plant files. A field of them is quite pretty, but not when you are trying to grow something else. You have a great set of pictures, you may want to post them in plant ID and see if someone can come up with the name. In a little bit if you don't have them already, you will have long skinny seedpods that resemble an ultra thin bean.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes Chris, you cultivated a weed, but I'm not acusing you of planting it, because I have a few around here, but not that big, or try not.Mike

Lol, I thought that I had planted it. Otherwise I would have pulled it along time ago. Its outta here! Thanks all.

chris

I went outside to yank it and now I feel guilty because there are some kind of caterpillars using it for food. I am going to post it in the butterfly forum to see if I can get an ID before I take there dinner away.

farmerdill, you are right in the senna family.
Mike, it sure does look just like the weed except the weed has pointier leaves and it grows like a weed too.

This is what I planted. Yikes! Musta been one of those crazy days, I seem to be having alot of those lately.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/371/

Well it does turn out to be what I planted. What in the world was I thinking! The only way I would have put it there was if I thought I was gonna move it to my brothers house. Probably stuck it there to babysit it, and then I forgot it.
It now has sulphur butterfly cats on it. This thing is gonna get another 8' tall this year, I have to figure out how to move it and hopefully not kill the cats. Maybe I will hatch them inside and try to transplant the bush. But if the bush dies, then I dont have food for the cats.
Well, I have decided to leave it there until these cats grow up, but then it is outta here!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Trust me, you don't want the Cassia anymore than you do the coffee weed..Both are terrible weeds here...It will reseed to no end..It is also a weed..

Larkie

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's the pea vine. I see a couple of blooms so I guess I will have seeds if you want me to save you some. I can't remember the name of the vine but I will find it. Old age attack this morning.

Spurred Pea Vine.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 1:50 PM

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

All together a different plant, isn't it Jim?The leaves on yours are pointed, and looks like a pea.Is the hot weather making us covet anything green?I know it has some effect on my mind for sure.

Yes Jim, that is the one I have also...spurred pea vine. Mine is blue. It is cute but the flowers are so small and there is so much green vine that you hardly notice the flowers. I have caterpillars of the skipper butterfly on mine, so at the end of the season that is another thing that has to be moved.

Mike, my mind is a little crazy without the heat. LOL. So seeing so many of my new plants in distress is making me really run around in circles. I still cant believe that I forgot I planted that Cassia there.

Is it better to move all these things in spring when they first start comming up or in fall after they die down?

Larkie, thanks for being honest! I do not like things that reseed or travel underground. This will be moved to a spot that wont bother with me.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

This is the more common one we have here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_obtusifolia

Oh, now I have to look again...I think I have the beginning of those sickle seedpod things.
Thanks for the link.

chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.