Reblooms? How late do the rebloom?

Round Lake Beach, IL(Zone 5a)

I see alot of you posting reblooms and I was wondering when they usually rebloom. Also I have fans that I planted, Will they bloom? or do I have to wait till next year?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

You may not see blooms on the ones you planted this year if you don't already have them. If I have a new daylily that tries to bloom this late I cut off the scape. Difficult to do but it makes the plant stronger next year. Not all daylilies rebloom. When you read the descriptions they usually note if they rebloom. I have a few rebloom scapes but eve those vary.. some will bloom all season long and other may send u p a scaggly little late scape. hardly worth it..lol

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I never cut scapes off a plant though if it's weak I won't let it set pods. If it's strong I'll let it carry a pod or two the first year. They always do well the next year. I'm on a northern hybridizers group and this subject was discussed recently. I found out others were doing it this way too including a couple of major players.

Reblooms- normally I don't see reblooms here. This year has been very unusual in that I'm getting them.

When did you plant your fans LeSnow? If after July then most likely you'll see blooms next year at the right time for your plants. In fact in your part of the country summer should be almost over, right?

MollyD

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Last year was the first time I cut off scapes and as I said before I only did it on plants that were sending up scapes late in the year. If seeing the bloom is iffy due to the lateness of the season then there is no sense in letting it put all that effort into scaping.

Thank you for all your input. I planted thems about a month ago, seems longer but looking at when I joined DG it's been only 2 months ago...LOL....got hooked in day lilies and went bonkers. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part cause they are growing so quickly and I have alot of new babies coming up. It's just so exciting to see a numb coming out of the ground in the morning and by noon there's a little leaflet sticking out.

Yesterday I was really cranky and decided to mow the lawn, well I went racing around the yard on the lawn tractor....hit the rubbish bins, ran my kwanzos over and sideswiped the A/C unit. Geez, I lost control for a second there. Wonder why my family won't let me drive my truck?

Loren

Waddy, KY

LOL! At least teh Kwanzos can handle it. I don't know about the rubbish bins and A/C unit!

As for rebloom, there's no way to predict when a plant is going to rebloom. Some start sending up scapes before the first flush of blooms are finished. Others here and there whenever they have the whim. Mine haven't had much water since the first of July but I guess I have around 50-60 reblooming.

Janet

Since the rains came their is an explosion of leaves. I am so new that I don't know what to look for when they decide to send up scapes. Do they come from the top of the plant or the side?

Loren

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Geez, LeSnow, I certainly hope you are ok! maybe it's not such a bad idea to let "Crash" drive for a while! LOL
I can't remember for certain, but I think it was May when Jazz gave me Pardon Me, and it has never stopped blooming, I just love that little Daylily, and it has put on a lot of new growth too.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Snow, I'm in the same boat as you. I just planted mine in late july (I think) so I'm not expecting any blooms.. They're still trying to grow new leaves right now too. So, blooms, not likely for me..

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

It's good right now that they are growing, Icosden, gives um time to get big and strong for our winters. I'm hoping the ones I planted a week or so ago will start getting new growth soon.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

crash, yeah.. they been putting out leaves with the exception of Happy Returns.. That one came in bad condition. But there's a little tiny green thing starting to peek out of it now.. Keeping my fingers crossed.. I noticed the ones I'm rehabing in the pot is growing faster than the ones I planted in the ground.. Hope the ones in the ground gets enough growth to help it through the winter too..

Sorry I haven't been on...been busy contacting my friends and family in Hawaii. They're bracing for a hurricane. My parent live on the waterfront and I am worried about them. My father is very ill and it will take an ambulance to evacuate him. They have always evacuated to my house, but, I am no longer there and I am just sick.

I have Happy Returns, It's still blooming since I got it...I planted then around my mailbox. It's so cheery...

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Snow, is there any other place for them to go?? Isn't waterfront dangerous in hurricanes?? Gee, hope they find some shelter before landfall.. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family girl..

My Happy Returns isn't quite so happy. It's struggling right now.. But at least there's signs of hope on the horizon for it..

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 3:47 PM

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Where will they take him Loren? Mine in the pots are looking good, too. I do need to dig a spot for them in the yard soon- it's just been so hot.

I have two brothers that are there, but, in the past they have been useless. I hope they think and do something cause I can't from here..Friends say it has started to rain and they have a hurricane watch and I am watching the Weather Channel.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Snow, I think it's just a guy thing. They let us chick do the work until they have no choice. With you out of the picture there, I'm sure your bros will realize they don't have any option other than to take care of them. I'm sure they'll do it too, they were just trying to be lazy before.. I know that's still not much comfort being from where you are but remember.. family will stick together.

If they evacuate my dad he will be transported to the hospital, but knowing my mother? That's another story.

I was weeding my irises and ran eyeball to eyeball with a big black and yellow spider. GEEZ scared the ..... out of me.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I hope they step up. They probably will, it's just easier to sit back and let someone else worry.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Orb spiders get me- they are so BIG! Pretty in their way, but lord, they make me scramble back in a hurry.
Good, he'll be safe in a hospital- maybe your mom can stay with him, that way she'll be safe, too.

Sorry if I sound so scatterbrained, between the hurricane and the spider my adrienalin is going nuts. Not to mention my son went fishing and just dropped of this ugly N. pike off and went to work...What am I going to do with it?

They just upgraded it to a "Warning". Trying to get ahold of my brothers...

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

gut it :) and eat it! I'm not big on fish, but fresh fish is tasty
Hey, if my folks were in danger I'd be completely frazzled.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Good for you- our thoughts are with you.

Trying to contact my Aunt, they live about 5 minutes away from my dad...I am ready to cry...I can't get ahold of any of my family.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Just be patient and keep trying- everyone is probably down in the basement.

Houses in Hawaii don't have basements...my parents live 10 feet from the seawall. I am driving myself crazy.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

ok, if you can't get ahold of them, have you tried a neighbor? How about calling the local police to run someone over to make sure they are out of the house. Or their church?

Yes, church!...going to call...Debating about calling my ex Yikes, bad idea...

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Loren where the scape comes from depends on the plant and time of year. Usually when you see the scape coming from the side of the plant it's spring and it's a scape that formed the previous fall but never got to grow out.
Spring scapes are mostly from the top but right now the reblooms I'm seeing are coming from the top of new growth on the same fans.

How's that for confusing? LOL When it's a scape you'll know because there will be a round wand like thing growing out. The flowers form mostly at the top of that 'wand'. I have some young seedlings putting out their very first scapes right now and they're forming a club at the ends of the wand which then forms into buds as the wand gets longer.

MollyD

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Cool- (((Loren))) it will be ok

HUH? Molly..lol

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Sorry didn't see what was happening with your family till after I posted. if you can't reach anyone you know call the Red Cross. That's one of the things they're good at helping with.

MollyD

Anyone can send me a cyber Valuim? or is it Prozac?

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Snow, maybe your family already evacuated.. Maybe that's why you can't get ahold of them.. Did you call the church, neighbor or local police to check like Hyblaean suggested??

LOL.. At least you still have some humor in times like these.. Think you need some yoga or meditation instead.. :)

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 4:23 PM

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Take a deep breath and call the Red Cross here. They will help you find out what is happening with your family. Most likely they evacuated ahead of time knowing that your place was no longer available.

MollyD

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

this is one that Tazzy posted the other day- not exactly cyber Valium....but the best I could do

Thumbnail by Hyblaean

I can't believe it!!! I called my parents home and my mother answered. She is senile but it was so nice to hear her voice. She didn't know about the hurricane. I'm going to try to contact a church member..

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Sounds good- keep us posted

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Good luck with that Loren.

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.