August Daily Weather #II Too hot to putter!

(Zone 3b)

50*/ rain has stopped; all's well.
So nice seeing you'all again after a few busy days here.
Get well soon, Dyson.
We've been "tour" guide and are loving every minute. Our guests don't mind the rainy days and none of our plans changed due to the weather.
Orca, Killer Whales, in Ressurection Bay on a rainy day last week.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

The heat just keeps on keeping on and I continue to hide inside.
Waiting to hear on Dyson's progress.
Enjoying the pics, and the bits of your lives that you share.
Nothing worth writing going on here.
But at least I checked in today.
~~Blooms

Joey her name was Carol and boy do I remember her. took down trees all over my town in the Catskills of NY

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you for checking in, Blooms. :-)

(Zone 5a)

Kiska - so nice to see you posting again! Love that pic! :-)

Blooms it's always nice to hear from you - at least we know you're still ok in that awful heat ;-)

Ric - sorry to hear that there's even more heat in the maps for you - Yikes!

Marylyn - it's so hard to see them off to school for the first time isn't it! Makes them seem all grown up overnight somehow ..... lol. I don't know how you manage home schooling - how does that work? It's not an option here. And I don't think me or the girls could put up with each other all day either ;-) lol I'm actually looking forward to some time alone once everything gets back to "normal". I really admire you for being able to do that.

It rained quite a bit today and fortunately the wind wasn't so bad :-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, Rann! :-) Joy and I love homeschooling, and hopefully we can do it with Katie next year, too, but it definitely isn't for everyone. :-) There are tons and tons of curriculum choices out there these days, so it is easy (well, actually it's overwhelming! But once you know what KIND of curriculum you want, it's easier) to find one that fits both the kids' learning styles and your teaching style. Some people do all their subjects from the same curriculum, and some people mix and match. Some kids love sitting still and doing lots of workbooks, and some kids learn better if they read a story and then act it out, or they learn how to do measurements and then they make a cardboard fort. Schools have to try to do a little of all of that, so they can hit all of the learning styles in a classroom, but it's really hard when you have 20+ kids and only one teacher. It's much easier to do that kind of thing at home. :-) I won't go on and on and on.. (And I could! LOL) If you have any specific questions, you can always d-mail me.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone!
Trying to stay in the house today, to hot to do much else.

Partly Cloudy ~ 95°
Feels Like: 100°
Barometer: 30.09 in and falling
Humidity: 41%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 68°
Wind: WSW 10 mph

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Joey – I’m so glad the succulents have “taken”! They really are pretty.
Rann – Pretty roses and buds! School started yesterday here.
Ric – I’m not liking the outlook of your weather.
Kiska – Great picture! Soundslike you’re having a wonderful time!
Blooms – Great to hear from you! Any news about the fires?
Marylyn –I’m with Rann – I admire you for home schooling. It has to be difficult, but you make it sound easy!
Bamagirl – We do everything early in the morning or when the sun goes down. I just got in from tending a scale problem with my Lady Margaret and a little critter called thirps on my Ficus. Nasty critters. As Sidney said – Just too hot to putter!

88.3 °F / 31 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 65 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 90 °F / 32 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Mostly clear. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph becoming light inland.

This Live Oak is so big I couldn't get it all in the frame!

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Plenty hot here.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 21, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
94 °F / 34 °C
Clear
Humidity: 16%
Dew Point: 41 °F / 5 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the South

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi all:
Too tired to say much tonight. HHH continues.
Weather folks using phrases like "extreme heat advisory" again. No rain. Like Joey says, the garden's "crunchy'.
Weirdest weather this summer.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well it's almost 9 PM and still 82° (Heat Index 87°) .
The rain today certainly did help the plants.
It also raised the Humidity to 74%....

It's been like living down south for so long now we're getting used to it.
Oh well I love to grow tropicals and THEY are loving it here! LOL!

Ric

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I have 3 window units going.
;)

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It hasn't gone above 70°F for three days in Philly or Baltimore, which is freakish for August.
Usually it wouldn't ever get that cool at night this time of year!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Another drizzly day added another 1/4" of rainfall to the rain gauge. Now it's 68º with 80% humidity. Not bad at all.

Marylyn........ You're absolutely right. The sounds and smells of autumn here in the northeast are unmistakable and unforgettable. Burning leaves*, the scent of a woods or a cornfield on a frosty morning, the sound of the marching band blending with the cracking of pads. It's my favorite time of year.

*of course no one here at Dave's Garden would burn their leaves..........

Joey.........We're not getting older--we're getting better.................

Sharona......It looks like the Swiss Family Robinson could live in that tree! When my oldest son was 14 years old he was wearing size 14's. Luckily, his feet stopped growing and never got any bigger. The rest kept growing until he hit 6' 2". Once you pass size 14 shoes are expensive and hard to find.

Kiska..........Nice photo. You've certainly given a lot of nice tours to the folks here on the Weather Forum!

Photo: Fireworks display at a local nursing home summer picnic.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! Well we had only a trace of rain today...better than nothin'! At the moment it's 73* & rather muggy. But the night critters are making a joyful noise! :D

E_B, I do believe that you're right! ;D
Ric, Glad that your tropicals are enjoying this heat...
Thanks Rann, hope that school goes good tomorrow...I feel sure that it will. That is a truely beautiful red! rose! :D
Kiska, I love that shot of the Orca...I have a feeling that you took lots of pics and will most certainly share with us! :D :D
Sharon, Those little gems are doing really well! :D and so is the other one! I thought at first the other one wouldn't make it, cause it was puney for a week or so, but is really looking lots better!:D
Deb, What a beautiful & most unusual photo! I Love it! :D

Blooms...You're right! The answer to the trivia is...D
Carol hit on August 30, 1954.

Nite All
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Deb – Pretty picture – looks so cool! We’re crunchy as well. The garden is suffering from lack of rain.
Kelli – Here too!
E_B – I dread Justin’s feet getting bigger. Jeff is 6’3” and my stepson (Gary 24) is 6’4”. I come from a tall family as well. I’m the shortest at 5’8”. Neat picture!
Joey – You have such a unique collection of flowers! It’s so pretty!

74.7 °F / 23 °C
Fog
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 74 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 200 ft / 60 m

Today
Patchy early morning fog...otherwise mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 90s inland...lower 90s coast. North winds 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon.

Heat index readings 101 to 106. :P

We took Prissy for a walk on the beach last night. She really enjoyed herself!

Thumbnail by MySharona

She loves the beach!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Joey - here ya go!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Hey Ric - Surf's up! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

It was a beautiful soft sunset

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lovely Sharon!

Well it's 75° here already at 8:30 AM Humidity is : 90% ......
can you say Steambath!........going to 97° .......

The Heat Warning has now been extended to Saturday.......

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

Wonderful photos everyone!

Deb - that is such a cool photo - love the waterdrops - they look like gems :-)

Sharon - must be so wonderful to be able to take walks on the beach - I don't envy you the heat - but the beach is NICE!! lol

Thanks Marylyn - I don't know how you manage it but I'm sure your daughters will benefit. How long can you keep them in homeschool?

School was set today - the kids only showed up for half an hour to get their schedules, then they start for real tomorrow. After we went shopping for school supplies yesterday Selma's been very excited about starting back. :-) Her class has a new teacher this year, but she seems very nice so I think they'll adjust quickly. They're old teacher had been with them since they started in 1st grade and they really loved her. Selma was so sad when she found out she wouldn't be teaching them again this year.

It's stopped raining - at least for now, it's cloudy, a slight breeze and 59°F. Nothing to complain about.
I'm making black currant jelly - got a really good crop this year - must be all the sunshine and warm weather :-)

It's been a good summer for my roses too ;-)

Have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning!

Ya know, Ric, as long as you're getting our weather, you might as well just move down here. Just think - you'd never have to figure out where to put your tropicals during what passes as a winter in SE Texas. And we even get rain down here!

Rann, we can homeschool them as long as we want.. We are hoping to do it through high school, but of course we'll be reassessing every year. Here in Houston there are homeschool sports programs, and bands, and choirs, and orchestras, art classes, etc etc etc.. So it's not like they would be missing out on any of the good stuff. We can do lab sciences with one of the homeschool groups when the time comes. More and more colleges and universities are not only admitting homeschool students, but are offering them scholarships. :-)

Sharon, your pictures are beautiful, as usual. :-)

We're having the same weather as Ric, plus a 30% chance of rain. My dh took my little red Geo Metro to work today - and it died part way there. I'm glad it didn't die when I was driving it with the bunnies in the back! We were planning on getting a bigger car/van in the spring anyway... Maybe we'll be getting one a little sooner than that. We'll see how much it costs to get it fixed. A 1996 Metro isn't worth a whole lot, so we don't want to spend TOO much money on it.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Sharon you are making me miss the beach so much! The last time I got to go to Florida was almost 4 years ago.

rannveig your roses are beautiful!

Partly Cloudy ~ 98°
Feels Like: 101°
Barometer: 30.14 in and falling
Humidity: 37%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 66°
Wind: Calm

Today: Mostly sunny. Record high temperatures expected. High 103F. Winds light and variable.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

HAMILTON-
INCLUDING THE CITY OF...CINCINNATI
1156 AM EDT WED AUG 22 2007

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EDT
FRIDAY NIGHT...

HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE CINCINNATI METRO AREA WILL BE IN THE
MIDDLE TO UPPER 90S THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY...WITH HEAT
INDICES BETWEEN 100 AND 105 DEGREES.

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF
DANGEROUSLY HOT TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR.

Ya Think? lol!

Well at 1:30 it's 94° Humidity: 47% (Heat Index 100°) Sunny w/ a slight breeze.
Thurs and Fri they are now talking 100° for the high again.

So far in the 22 days of August it's been
90+ for 19 days
95+ for 10 of those and
99/100 for 4 of those

It is easily the hottest August on record.
Precip....... 1.2" ..... except for the Humidity we might as well be in the High Desert...

Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Currently 65 deg. - the warmest it has been this week. It rained Monday, Tuesday and all night Tuesday night. Total of 2-3/4 " here. Nights have been cool- 52 deg, 58-need a light blanket.

We have the HHH coming in from Cincinnati for the weekend. I knew it couldn't last forever. This is August!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, guys ! I'll have to catch up with you later, but I wanted to tell you that I'm in Italy, with Cici, at my daughter and her boyfriend's home in Appiano Gentile town, northern Italy.

It real is fun being in Italy, but not so much these days, because it's been raining since Sunday, almost continously ! We went to see Como, which is a little town nearby, situated on the Como lake and it rained with cats and dogs just when we arrived there, so we had to go inside an ice cream shop...yummy ! We ate an ice cream and , in the meantime, the rain stopped and we went on our tour . We went on a lake tour with a ship and saw all the beautiful views...I'm so sorry I can't send you pictures because Andreea's laptop has a problem and she can't install her photo program...ugh !
Como is a beautiful Italian small town, with narrow streets , like a maze . It also has a dom , like in Milan. Of course, I made lots of pics. Lake Como is formed inside the mountains and the view of the coasts , with all the houses built up the hill is gorgeous ! I'm sending you the link to the oficial website of the Como town, so you can see a few pics.
http://www.comune.como.it/como/eng/

Since Sunday we just went to the mall to buy groceries -and enjoying seeing the Italian food - and a pair of blue jeans for me because it's too cold and we brought only the summer clothes. The temps have dropped with 10 degrees since Sunday, about 22C and it's very cold outside...and inside too ! Only 16C at night ...brr!
Bye and hugs to everyone !
Adina

You know I remember 40 years ago when DXH and I lived in Tulsa and had no AC. The weather was just about like that report there Ric.
Sidney

This message was edited Aug 22, 2007 2:52 PM

(Zone 5a)

Adina - so nice of you to check in and let us know how you're doing :-) Can't wait to see the photos when you get home ;-)

Marylyn - I'm finding this homeshool thing very interesting - seems to be pretty common since there are joint activities available - I found that pretty surprising.

bama - thanks :-)

Ric - all I can say is Yikes!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we just hit 100° (Heat Index 104°) a minute ago...........

Adina seeing any of these?
They are Lake Como lizards or Podarcis muralis muralis.
A common European Wall Lizard, this strain is found and captured originally right where you're staying......

Released over 50 years ago here in Cincinnati they are everywhere around our area now.....

This shot was taken on our driveway.... there are dozens here now....

Ric

This message was edited Aug 22, 2007 3:56 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric why did they turn them loose in Cincinnati? How big are they?
;)

(Zone 5a)

Ric - that's pretty interesting :-) Sorry about the heat.

We got a nice rainshower about an hour ago, current temp. at 8 pm is 57°F.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Around here they are known as the "Lazarus Lizard".
The Lazarus Family owned a big local chain of deptmant stores, now Macy's.
One summer in the 50's they were vacationing near Lake Como and George Rau,
one of the Grandsons, caught 10 pairs and brought them back.
He released them about 10 miles or so from here.
They have been moving out of the area ever since.
It appears they are using the railroad lines as their avenue.....
Now they are even over in KY...

We first saw them around here 3 years or so ago.
They get slightly smaller than 8" and can drop their tails.
Our cats are constantly bringing in tails during the Summer.... LOL!

This morning at the rockyard I saw at least 10 in just a few minutes.....

Ric

Rann, I think that home schooling is so popular in the U.S. because of the lack of moral values in public schools and the expense of private schools. There are other reasons, too, but I think that is the big one. I don't have kids, but that is the impression I have. Personally, I think I would have been saved a lot of emotional grief (pick on the fat girl stuff) if I had been home-schooled, but one needs to have the right kind of parent for that, too, and my mom wouldn't have had the patience for that.

Joey, what flower is that?

Hot again, will be for weeks yet.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 22, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
87 °F / 31 °C
Clear
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 51 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the South
Wind Gust: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s

This message was edited Aug 22, 2007 5:05 PM

There is a big fire out here that has been burning since July 4 and I hadn't seen anything about it until now. http://www.inciweb.org/incident/770/ (It is a slow web site.)

This message was edited Aug 22, 2007 5:08 PM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kelli it just got mentioned on CNN today too. slow news reporting that's a big fire.

Ric, neat story about the well-traveled lizards. Obviously adapted very well to their surroundings.

Temps here today Hi 103*, Humidity 5% My DS says the added humidity from my mass of green under the trees probably gives that area a plus 2%. Nice to think so.

Nice to think the Virginia Creeper and weed grasses add something.
Certainly the vinca is the only thing that would survive under the volunteer Colorado Juniper. It's now fifteen plus feet tall and will someday take the place of the cottonwood it is growing under. And the much disliked vinca which spreads with its long runners, became the best thing. Nothing else could grow under that cedar.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We we had the weirdest rain a few hours ago...
It was sunny and thundering.... we were watching Weeds so the blinds were shut....
then dark for about 15 minutes ...then brilliant sunshine....
Walked outside and it looked like we had a water air drop...
There was 2" of standing water everywhere......

Didn't help the temp though from 100 (Heat Index 106°) to now 90° (Heat Index 97°)
but at least everything is well watered.....

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ric, you can take the heat and keep it!! We are still having high 90s temps and low 100s heat index plus high humidity. Ugh.

But it is supposed to cool down again starting Friday. I will believe it when it happens. They said the same thing last week and it never did.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The heat does have a few good sides...
check this Blackfoot Tomato we harvested today....

1.4 pounds!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here it is next to a half used roll of Paper Towels

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

It must be the humidity, not just the heat. We get plenty of heat but never, ever have large tomatoes, let alone huge ones. That is one awesome tomato!

The sky is hazy and pink in the direction of that fire even though it is probably 75 miles away from here.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2007 7:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.