August Daily Weather #II Too hot to putter!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Rann – That’s a gorgeous picture!
Dyson – Great find! Let us know how well they worked!
Deb – Cute frogs! Where did you get them?
Se_eds - I need to learn more about gardening by the moon.

77.4 °F / 25 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 66 °F / 19 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa(Steady)
Heat Index: 79 °F / 26 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon.
Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon.

Highs in the lower 90s. I LOVE this part!!

Our sunrise yesterday. Then it got hazy and again in the afternoon.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here's the haze

Joey - you can read the sign this time! LOL!!

Joey - I believe the trivia answer is A

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning All! At the moment the temp is 60* & overcast. High pressure is building into the area just in time for the weekend and the forecast looks beautiful. Overnight low's will dip back into the mid 50's.

Sharon, Prissy is a cute pup! :D LOL! and yes, the sign isn't blurry! Hope you get some rain soon.
Thanks Rann, What a Gorgeous pic! You must have been standing right on the edge! :-O
Dyson, sounds like you found a "steal" at FD. We have one here & they always seem to have stuff that you had no idea they would have! Sounds like a Large project w/ that many lights! :D How did it go?
Deb, I love those frogs! Neat! :D We're supposed to get some real rain Monday & Tuesday...so, if you want, you can just concentrate your fancy foot work on other places. ;) I think I'll need to go water some this morning, too.
Kelli, take care in all that heat! Ugghh. I love the blooms! on the E. :D It's Gorgeous!
Se_eds, I think you will get some of the rain Mon. & Tues. "hope so! :D

The answer to yesterday's trivia is...A
Florida's hot & moist air makes for spectacular thunderstorms.

Today's trivia is...(and I think it's a trick question)(LOL! only because I got it wrong!)
A fulgarite is?
a) The lightning discharge that occurs inside a cloud
b) The glow that occurs on the mast of a ship in a thunderstorm
c) a ribbon of glass caused by the melting of desert sand by lightning
d) a rock that changes color indicating changes in the weather.

Gotta go water...
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

Joey, Deb and Sharon - thanks :-) That photo was also taken on our trip to Thingvellir. It's another one of the fissures there - this one's filled with water.
Joey - I was standing on a bridge so I was in no danger ;-) People throw coins from the bridge and make a wish - the bottom is covered with coins. The water is crystal clear so this one and other waterfilled fissures there are very popular with divers. They say you can't "see" the water at all - the water is also very deep and cold so it wouldn't be a good thing to fall in .......

Dyson - hope the lights work out well :-) And I wish you all the best come Monday and during recovery.

Seeds - I've never tried gardening by the moon - sounds interesting :-)

It's sunny, 56°F and a light breeze :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Another photo from Thingvellir - this is the same river as the waterfall earlier ;-)

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The lights all worked well, except the one that I damaged driving into the ground, I had to repair that one. And I found they are much brighter without the little plastic defuser lens so now I will remove them.

75°(F), Bright.

No Observation Data Available

This reporting station is not transmitting data at this time, or there is no reporting station for this location.
Please try back later.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Good morning! We've had an exciting past few days. We actually got some rain both days. Yesterday was a soaker with lots of wind, rain and lightening. Some straight line winds came through and knocked a marble table off of our front porch with a huge flower pot on top of it. We thought for a while that it was going to blow our trees up out of the ground.

A little later in the day we noticed some smoke coming up out of the woods on a hill in front of our house. It wasn't long before we saw flames coming up. We called the fire department and they were out in just a few minutes and started working on putting it out. Undoubtedly, when the storm came through some lightening had hit a tree at the base and it caught on fire. They said if we hadn't had so much rain that day that it could have been really bad. We needed the rain but I could have done without the rest of the excitement.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Fair ~ 82°
Feels Like: 87°
Barometer: 30.14 in and steady
Humidity: 70%
Visibility: 7 mi
Dewpoint: 72°
Wind: Calm

My granddaughter "Emily".

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Se_eds: I just transplanted a couple of things yesterday, so I hope that the moon helps them!
Joey: I found those little frogs in a shop somewhere outside Palm Springs, CA. I was told they were made by a local artist. I love 'em.
I think the trivia answer is "C".
Bamagirl: sounds like it's a good thing the lightning came with the rain, then! Fires are scary.

No rain, still. Been out watering this morning, again. My zinnias are still blooming but the blooms are distinctly puny. Everything's struggling. No rain in the forecast. On the other hand, it's a lovely sunny, breeze day. A tad hot (mid 90s).
Deb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's cooler out now than it has been.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

How strange Dyson.
We just added to our solar arsenal too.
We've had the old bulb type for years (great idea, bad application).
Two years ago we bought 8 LED Solars at Harbor Frt and love them.
(Come Spring take them apart and clean the lens, change the batteries and they work just like new)
Only problem we have mostly shade so we have to move them around a lot to get a good charge.
Today at HD they had the Malibu cast aluminum lights w/ dual LED and a central collector for 4 lights. (Reg 59 dollar on sale for 25.......)
You can get 80' away from the collector.
We put the collectors in full Sun around and they just now came on...
Not Dyson Dark here yet but they appear to be FAR outshining the old ones.
We'll be going back for a couple of more sets tomorrow....

Nice 82 here today.... finally..... after a temp of 101 Thursday and 97 yesterday....
Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! Got right hot here w/a high of 92* today.

Ric, you & Dyson are making want some of the solar lighting.
Pepper, Glad that it's cooled off for ya! ;)
Bama, Emily is Precious! :D She looks like a happy child. :)
Dyson! LOL, I'm trying back! ;D
Rann, Another pic of Thingvellir! Beautiful! :-O and am glad that you were on Something! :D Too scarey! otherwise.

Well, Deb! You got the trivia answer right! C!
The temperature of electrical resistance in the ground can get so high, that the sand melts in the ground, which later hardens into fragile tubes! (cool, huh?)

Well, have a good evening!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric -Thanks for the "heads up" looks like a stop at HD will be forth coming.

72°(F), Dark -

UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From ESE at 3 mph
Humidity: 61%
Pressure: 30.19 in.
Dew Point: 58°F
Visibility: 10.0 miles

Edited to say: "still no data from intellicast, so this info is from "The Weather Channel" website.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2007 9:35 PM

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's cloudy, 55°F and rain drizzles on and off.

Thanks Joey. That is a gorgeous flower! :-)

Bamagirl - beautiful granddaughter :-)

Hope you have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

62°(F) Bright and still "dry as a bone" here at Lacasa Doublewide.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 72%
Wind: 250° (WSW) at 3mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.18in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 0°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 0°F
Dew Point: 55°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 64°
Wind Chill: 64°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 66°F
6hr High Temp: 81°F

And Yes! Intellicast is back! Ain't it grand how the really simple things (like a working website) can get you semi-excited.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu! It's a cool 61*

Thanx Rann, I Love those Daisies! :D Great Shot! :-O
Dyson, Glad you got it back! :D I want to wish you the best for tomorrow...take care, do what the doc says, and I pray you have a speedy recovery! (you're in my thoughts...)

Today's trivia is...
A kind of echo that appears on a radar screen that may indicate a tornado is called?
a) Hadley echo
b) Rain echo
c) Hook echo
d) Red echo

Have a great day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

92°(F) "here" but can't stay - UVA called said I need to be there at 6:00 am, so off in search for a motel w/not to bad rates for the eve.

Everyone take care, and will return as soon as possible.

Oh yea, while I'm absent , someone keep the rain dance going? PLEASE!

- Dyson

Humid, breezy and not hot.

Trivia answer is C. Get enough tornadoes around here to know that one. :~)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Nothing noteworthy here.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on August 19, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
92 °F / 33 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 36 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the South

Thumbnail by Kelli

Wish the weathermen would make up their minds on the weather here. First they said it was gonna be in the 80s all this week and really nice. Now am hearing 90s and hot. Ugh. We need a break from this heat.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Good evening all! A lot cooler here tonight but humidity is still high.

Fair ~ 79°

Feels Like: 83°
Barometer: 30.06 in and steady
Humidity: 78%
Visibility: 7 mi
Dewpoint: 72°

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! It's finally cooled down to 72*. Been right hot (96*) today & the humidity has been up there, too.

Pepper, you're right! the answer is 'C'
And 'D' red echo is a type of iris.

Dyson, If you get to read this...I'll be dancin' for ya. ;)

Kelli, I guess that I'm in the moderate, although after working in the flower bed yesterday & today, I'd swear that I was in the High range.

Have a good evening!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! The temp is 65* & it's Dyson Dark.

Gotta head to school today, so will need to make this short & sweet. This is soo weird! I'm riding to school w/Garrett!

Today's trivia is...
The Great Barrington tornado of 1995 was an?
a) F1
b) F2
c) F3
d) F4

Have a Great Day! All! (Dyson - we're thinkin' about ya!)
Joey
(a smile for everybody's day)

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

What a cute smile that is, Joey! :-)

It's partly cloudy, 58°F and fairly calm :-) Rain and wind coming tonight or tomorrow so better make the most of it today! :-)

Hope you have a great day - and Dyson - you're in my thoughts!

rannveig

Dyson - You are in our prayers for a smooth surgery and fast recovery. God Bless!
Joey - LOL! Happy Jack - he's handsome! The trivia answer is D.
Bama - Beautiful Emily!

We've had company for a couple of days. Lots to catch up on! It's been HHH again this weekend. No rain in the forecast for a couple more days. Looksl ike Dean is staying South. I was concerned it would affect my FIL in Rockport, TX, but it looks like he'll be ok. Whew.

78.8 °F / 26.0 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Clouds: Few 1800 ft / 548 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 90s inland...in the lower 90s coast. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Morning all,
Just saying a few prayers for Dyson that this not be too hard on him. I have known many who have had this surgery and pray his is as fast healing as theirs have been.
It's hot and I'm staying inside.
Sidney

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning!! We're back to normal summer weather here. I am happy that Hurricane Dean is going to miss us, but am praying for the folks in Mexico and the islands in the Caribbean that are being hit now.

I'm praying for you, too, Dyson!! :-)

Today Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

We're staying inside, too. My dh saw a 12ft pool (36 inches deep) at Target for only $126, so we are thinking about getting one... Anyone know anything about pools? :-)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Marylyn, my parents had a wading pool a little smaller than the one you mention (maybe 10 ft in diameter and 24 inches deep) for my brother and sister. It didn't have any filtration system and it got algae pretty quickly, like in a week I would say. I didn't mind cleaning it, but I was a teenager and didn't have much else to do. That is the sum total of my swimming pool maintenace knowledge.

I find this pretty incredible, even though it is for northern Maine.

A frost advisory remains in effect from 2 am to 7 am EDT Tuesday.

Temperatures across the area are expected to fall into the mid to
upper 30s resulting in areas of frost... especially in sheltered
areas late tonight. Those with agricultural interests should
prepare and take necessary precautions.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Currently 92, but feels like 100 again. No rain in the forecast til at least Friday.

Dyson: We're all thinking of you today.

Deb

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thinking of you Dyson - may your surgeons be skillful and may your body respond to their healing touch.

Temps have stayed in the low 60's the past two days. We got 3/4" of rain so far today. Expect another 3/4 - 1" by tomorrow night. We are getting rain and cool weather fom the Michigan/Canadian areas. Rained so hard today I had to make pickles as it wasn't fit to be outside. Hopefully this will send our water table back up.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Kelli! Yeah, we were expecting to get a filter. I'm sure the water would get slimy really fast down here without one. :-) I'll pop over to the outdoor living forum and see what people are talking about there. :-)

Brrr!!! Maine is gorgeous, but that is way too cold for August! :-)

Spoiled in Texas....
~ Marylyn

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dyson Buddy hope ALL is well and you're soon up and about again!

Well we've had nothing but mid 90's + for weeks now...
What rain has been spotty and rare...

Finally we "may" get a little relief... it's raining hard just 30 miles north of us but mostly drizzle here... hopefully the last of the TD will drop a little rain here......

The Cast for the rest of the week.... mid 90's lows near 70 thru Friday....
Like when I lived in FL ..... I hardly notice it now....

The other morning's 57 degree temp felt like a dream.... lol!

The yard is starting to suffer.... watering is just not the same as a good rain and a cool night....
trees are loosing leaves as a self defense mechanism also ..... it's just too hot for them to cope.
We are also already seeing some red and yellows in the Maples ..... Yikes!

Ric

Low temps this morning in the low 70s but it was humid. And foggy so couldn't enjoy it. Temps got to mid 90s today and felt like 104* with the 50+% humidity. Not fun to work in.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! It's a Warm 76* & not supposed to cool off much more. Ugh...We were supposed to have rain tonight & tomorrow, but the weather guy has changed his mind. :(

Pepper, Hope you all get some cooler weather...
Ric, things are drying up here, too. The Locusts are loosing their leaves. The Virginia Creeper and Ranunclus (sp) are turning red, which usually doen't happen until late Sept. or after. My yard (that is in the shade) is "crunchy". If you get that good rain...will you send some this way?
Kelli! Frost in Maine this time of year doesn't quite sound normal! Kiska or Rannveig have gotten any yet...
Se_eds, Glad that you are getting the rain! :D
Thanks, Rann & Sharon...That's my boy! :D He's a happy child, too. ;)

The answer to the trivia...D
Three people were killed and 24 people were injured as a result of that tornado.

Good nite.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Just looked at the weather radar map and it looks like the rain is clearing out of the area for a while. It's rained for the better part of 3 days and the rain gauge is showing 3 inches. It never really poured down hard though, just a gentle soaker. Early morning temps have ranged from the high 40's to the lower 50's lately with low 70's during the day. Expecting 70º tomorrow, then the low 80's for a few days before temps fall back into the mid 70's until the middle of next week. Autumn is not far away.

There sure is a lot of nasty weather across the country.

Rannveig.....I'm really enjoying the photos. Iceland certainly is a wild and beautiful place.

Dyson........Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Joey........You are right. It's really strange when the kids start hauling you around. I think it means we are getting old?

Photos............I didn't take these. My son at football camp. I downloaded these from the college website. (he's #85)

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And the other one........

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Good Morning All!

Dyson - We're all pulling for you! Best wishes!
Se_eds- Great pics of your DS.
Joey - look at those pretty little succulents!
MY DS has decided to take Kung Fu. I guess he has started gearing up to join the Marines when he graduates high school - just started 10th grade. This is something he has talked about since he was 9 - sigh. He's 15 - 6'1" - weighs 215 - wears a 13 shoe, he's only going to get taller. How do I beat the girls off him! LOL!! When did he get this big?! Where did the time go?!

78.3 °F / 25.7 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m

Today
Patchy morning fog...otherwise mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 90s inland...in the lower 90s coast. East winds 10 mph. Heat index readings 101 to 106.

Taken yesterday afternoon. It's still HHH.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! We have a temp of 76*. It seems as tho the temp hasn't changed since last night! :-O I guess it'll be another hot one! and hotter tomorrow.

E_B, I reFuse to believe that I am getting older! :D I just think that our yungons are growing up! :DThose are pretty impressive pics ~ a receiver, I presume! :D Certainly a hot time for football camp! :-O
Sharon, your "little" fella certainly has a good foundation! :D And those little succulents love that birdbath! There are new little buds popping out all over! :D

The trivia for the day is...
In 1954 this hurricane hit the Northeastern United States?
a) Christine
b) Claudia
c) Cheryl
d) Carol

Well, gotta go get ready for school...Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's raining, 58°F and slightly windy - but nothing close to what I was expecting. Hope the wind will stay away. Yesterday's hight was 61°F, but it was mostly cloudy and breezy so it didn't really seem that warm for some reason.

Thanks EB - great photos of your son! :-)

Kelli - that does sound WAY to early for a frost - I'll be very disappointed if we see frost before the end of September.

Hope the heat breaks soon for those of you still in the hot zone ....... August is almost over must be some consolation to you although I think it really sucks! lol

Beautiful photos Joey and Sharon :-)

Sharon - I often wonder about the same things! Selma Rún is starting 4th grade and I just can't believe how time has flown by - seems like yesterday when she started in 1st grade ........ I guess it's a reminder to really make the most of these precious years!

Schools start tomorrow - need to go shopping for supplies with Selma Rún today.

Hope you have a good one!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well here's hoping Dyson is on the mend this morning. He sure had alot of 'honey do's last week.
John what a terrific Fall you are going to have watching those two play football.
Just enjoy your kids as much as you can. They are grown almost overnight.
Low 90s No rain.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we got 20 minutes of good rain.
Started about 45 minutes ago now is just a drizzle....

And we just got this wonderful news.

---------------------------------------------------------------

a large area of high pressure will overspread the ohio valley
from the southwest beginning wednesday. this will allow for a
progressively hot and humid airmass through the end of the week.
hamilton-
including the city of...cincinnati
432 am edt tue aug 21 2007

...excessive heat watch in effect from wednesday afternoon
through late friday night...

the national weather service in wilmington has issued an
excessive heat watch...which is in effect from wednesday
afternoon through late friday night.

a large area of high pressure will overspread the ohio valley from
the south and west on wednesday. this will allow for increasing
heat and humidity across the region for the remainder of the work
week. high temperatures in the cincinnati metro area will be in
the middle to upper 90s wednesday through friday...with heat
indices between 100 and 105 degrees expected.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUST what we need.......

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great pictures, E_B! I love football.. The beginning of football season is one of the few times I really miss being in Ohio.. The cool crisp air, leaves turning colors, fresh pumpkin bread and apple cider, and football games.... Ahhh... :-) Then I remember trying to play my tuba in the marching band in the snow (the mouthpiece freezes!) and I snap out of it quickly! LOL

Today is going to look a lot like today, only there is a 30% chance of rain. Right now it is sunny and breezy and gorgeous out there. The bunnies and I have a bunch of errands to run today, so we're going to go out this morning before it gets TOO hot. We need to get the little bunny registered for school, which starts on Tuesday. I know when I put my little baby (actually she has shot up a ton this summer.. she's not so little anymore!) on the school bus for the first time, I'm going to be a mess. :-/ The big bunny and I are starting homeschool on Tuesday, too, which I am looking forward to. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.