August Daily Weather #II Too hot to putter!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The summer is just a pumping here in North Florida.
75.2 °F / 24.0 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Please come by often with your pictures and your daily weather report.
Here are some of my beauties.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning!
Sidney! I see that your hard work has paid off! Wow! Is that a Ponsettia (sp) in the center of those great looking Coleus? :D

The weather here is Soooo much more pleasant! The temp this morning is 68* & the day should be a carbon copy of yesterday.

Todays trivia is...
What was the coldest ever recorded temperature in the state of Montana?
a) -71
b) -81
c) -70
d) -80

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Tired for more than three hours to send this last night, gave up will try to replace her modem as soon as I can.

Currently staying at my mothers house. House & dog sitting. She called earlier from somewhere in Kentucky. I do not think she even knew where the tour was going.

The phone lines here are very unreliable so I will type this into a document then copy paste so it does not disappear.

It is a little strange being here after so long, Though I only live about 11 miles up the road, I never seem to get back here.

When I toured the grounds during the afternoon, I noticed that the creek level is lower than I have ever seen it before. The cabin (across the creek from the house) cannot be seen this time of year unless you walk to the creek bank. The cabin has been there for a long time, abandoned when the house was completed sometime back when I was in my “wandering” phase after the military and before settling down.

Have a good evening all.

75°(F) Bright.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Shhhooooooweeee! Just came back inside and had to dry off! Youd think I went out into a rain shower! NO such luck! The humidity is already up to a nice 85% ( Yuk!) and the temps are rising again very fast! We are only supposed to get to a 99Degrees today but I think it already has hit that mark or close to it! Our high for the day usually peaks about 4 P.M., So by the way the sun looked just a little while ago and knowing no rain in sight , we are in for another scorcher!!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well at least the Humidity is down......

...hot temperatures to return to the tri-state region today...

temperatures will push back into the mid 90s today. the humidity
will not be as bad as it was last week however...as the dewpoint
temperatures will only make it into the mid 60s. these conditions
will create heat index values of 95 to 100.

Currently 72° and Brilliant Sun....
We are getting Hammered w/ Hummers and Monarchs....
Feeding up for the loooonnnggg flight South!

Ric

Joey the plant in the middle is one of two new 'Copperleaf' plants I got this year. It's color was much deeper in May when I purchased it. I's surronded by coral impatients and coleus 'Festive Dancer'.
Sidney

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Still humid, but not as hot. High today only 91! Practically a cold snap. LOL!
Lots of lightning and thunder last night, but only about 1/10th of an inch of wet stuff.
Oh well.
Deb

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

90° in NE Alabama

Expected high of: 99°
Feels Like: 96°
Barometer: 30.05 in and falling
Humidity: 55%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 72°
Wind: SE 7 mph

Still no rain in sight, we are roasting here! Wish I knew a good rain dance and I'd give it a try.

Ric, we have lots of Hummers around as well. I don't remember ever seeing as many as I have this year. They keep me busy keeping their feeding bottles cleaned and filled.

Wanda

(Zone 3b)

Dare I? 55* and raining.
Sure would not enjoy being down there this time of year:)) But, your flowers and gorgeous views are a great trade off.
Yesterday at Hatcher Pass; guests took photo while hiking..we, DH, and I, watched from below along w/young gsons. Ice remains along the edge of one of the lakes.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Ahhhhhh, to be on a mountain with some snow and just diving in! Kiska right now that sounds heavenly and the photo is wonderful! I bet all us "Southerners" and close kin would love some of your 55degrees right now!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

"Ice remains along the edge of one of the lakes." Sorry, does not compute. ;-)

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 12, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
95 °F / 35 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 31 °F / -1 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SE

(Zone 5a)

Beautiful photo Kiska! :-)

Well, while most of you are still roasting - it's cooling down here fast - next week we'll be in the low 50's according to the forecast. I need about 3 more weeks of summer to save my sanity and see my roses bloom ......... anyone know where to apply for an extension ???? lol

It was sunny today, a very nippy north breeze blowing and about 55°F. Now at 10 pm it's down to 52°F ......

Loved all your photos :-)

rannveig

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: Lovely picture!
Rann: Maybe global warming will bring you your extension? :)

Spent an hour watering at mid-day, and even though it wasn't as hot as the past week, when I was done it looked like I was the one who'd been watered!

I did see this little fellow while I was out there, tho..
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It is very hot outside though it is a dry heat today. I finally went out earlier today and finished the iris bed. It didn't take long for sweat to be rolling into my eyes and down my back. lol. Had to go in a few times but came back out and finished it. Got them all planted and it looks great.

I will take a pic tomorrow of the bed if I remember. After I use soap and water on my seat in my truck to try to get rid of the tea stain. lol. I went to a concert on Thursday and took a thing of iced tea with me and when my friend and I got in the truck the tea fell over and spilled everywhere. Not too bad on the seat but bad enough it is coming off whether it wants too or not. lol

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

nother beautiful day. 58 deg. on the front porch at 6AM. But it quickly warmed up to about 93 in the big city of Millersburg this afternoon. Out here in the boonies - 3 miles from the town it was 89 - but that ole' humidity started creeping up again.

Supposed to be cooler and crisp tomorrow morning and Tuesday as another Canadian high moves through.

When I cut the grass on the edges and banks with the hand mower and run the rotortiller - like I did yesterday - my body takes the next day off! Giggle.

Sugar - your bed of plants and coleus is absolutely beautiful.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

We were 103 today with heat index of 115.

It's 'cooled off' to 88 with h.i. of 99.

No relief in sight.

Susan
=^..^=

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Howdy Folks! The temp here creeped on up there too. Our hi for the day was 92*! But the humidity stayed down farily well, so it wasn't so bad.

Sydney, I need to learn my flowers! :) But seriously they are Beautiful! :D Great presentation!
Ric, I can just imagine the hummers! I went out the deck yesterday when one brushed by & moved my hair! They sound like little bombers whizzing by! :D
Se_eds, I hope that the Canadian High moves further on down this way. You will share won't you?
Pepper, Can't wait to see the bed! :D
Deb, you could have watered yourself...I know that I would have! ;D Great shot of the little hummer! :D
Rann, I would be tickled to have the 55*. That means I could wear my sweatshirts! :D But I hope that your Roses bloom before fall gets to you. :)

Susan, Welcome! :D

The answer to the days trivia is...C
Recorded on January 20, 1954 in Rogers Pass. (Now that Is Cold!)

Good nite All!
Joey

p.s. I had to laugh at this picture! Jack reminded me of my granny...she Always had her eyes closed!

Thumbnail by music2keep
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Beautiful mountain scene, like a painting. wonderful flowers. nifty hummers. and Dyson the cabin on the side of the creek sounds just wonderful to me at this point.

High again today 104* morning low was 73* and weeding was painful today so I didn't get much done. Hmm that wasn't clear, the sun was painful on my body. just too hot.
~Blooms

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

68°, Dark.

The mother type carbon unit made it back safely from the bus tour to Ky & so I am back in my own home. I will go back over there today to try and complete repairs to her riding mower, replace her modem and get some pictures of the cabin.
I noticed when I was there over the weekend that she seems to be Hosta crazy, she has them planted everywhere. I guess they are low maintenance and seem to be fairing well with the current drought. I guess whatever type plant makes her happy.

Sue (DW) is getting ready for work, an old Neil Young song is playing on the computer and my mind is racing along trying to figure out how much I can get accomplished before Fridays shift to UVA Charlottsville. Gotta get one of the cars inspected etc.

Everyone take care of you & yours, and have a good Monday.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 61%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 72°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 92°F
Dew Point: 57°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 71°
Wind Chill: 71°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 71°F
6hr High Temp: 87°F

(Zone 5a)

Good morning! It's sunny, doesn't look very windy looking out the window and a very crisp 52°F at 9 am.

Debi - great shot of the hummer :-)

We went for a drive yesterday to Thingvellir national park which is about an hours drive from here. We met these friendly horses on the way :-)

Hope you have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Well it looks like we are getting another 100 degree'er today! The humma-ditty is getting more and more intense>90%< today! Im going out and looking for a pair of swimming goggles, just so I can see through all the perspiration!

the clouds keep promising rain but nary a drop fell!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's a really nice 61* out. A weak cold front will approach today but with limited moisture to work with, we should not see too much precipitation, although an isolated shower or storm cannot be ruled out this afternoon and evening. We will see a mix of sun and clouds with puffy cumulus clouds likely through the afternoon and evening. Temperatures will be quite warm once again with highs rising into the middle and upper 80s and maybe even hitting 90 is some spots.

Rann, what neat horses. I see the girls like them! :D
Dyson, will you be having your surgery on Friday or is it just "preliminary" stuff? Take Care.
Blooms! :-O Way too hot! You were probably about to melt out there!
Eufaula! Your temps are like Blooms! But the Humidity! :-O Take it easy & try not to "melt"! ;D

What was the record snowfall in Muskegon MI, in 1963?
a) 24"
b) 36"
c) 12"
d) 38"

Have a great day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Gonna hit 100* or higher today in temps. Tomorrow too. Then we slowly make our way back to lower to mid 90s for the weekend.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Lots – to catch up on....
Kiska – Did you say “Ice”? I’m with Kelli – does not compute!
Rann- 50’s also does not compute in August! It sounds divine to me right now. Gorgeous horses!

Rann & Kiska – How long do your seasons last?

Deb – Great hummingbird pic! I have to change their water every 2 days now with this heat.
Pepper – Can’t wait to see your iris bed, sounds lovely.
Susan – Hi! Welcome!
Joey – Jack is worn out – falling asleep while sitting up! I’m going with B
Dyson – It’s good to see you haven’t lost your sense of humor-mother type carbon unit! LOL!!
Eufaula – Great sky pic! Looks like ours.

No rain - watered the lawn and well everything really good yesterday. All the rain has been to the West. I’m hoping the Canadian High moves our way as well. It was hot yesterday, but the humidity was down so I was able to do some yard work. Hoping to get some weeding done today. The mosquito’s have been horrendous this year. We’re still saturated with them. Did anyone see the Persids? We saw some, but didn’t stay up too late. Skeeters everywhere! I found this link, there are other night shows coming up. I never realized the “shows” are named after the constellations from where they come.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20187088?GT1=10252

76.8 °F / 24.9 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 24 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 78 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s inland...in the lower 90s coast. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon. Heat index readings 99 to 104.

Taken around 6:20 last night

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Good morning! It's 68° out right now.
High is expected to be 101° today.

Feels Like: 68°
Barometer: 30.02 in and steady
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 2.5 mi
Dewpoint: 68°

Caught these little hummers trying to ease in on the same feeder yesterday evening.

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
(Zone 5a)

bambagirl - great photo! Those hummers are so cute ;-)

Thanks Joey and Sharon - the icelandic horse is a special breed - it's fairly small and very good tempered :-)

Sharon - the season will probably be over in 6 - 8 weeks depending on when the first frost hits. That's usually in late September and most often things are still blooming away when the frost hits .......... I really hate this time of year.

We haven't managed to get outside the greater Reykjavik area this summer (apart from our trip to Denmark) and I was really starting to feel clostrophobic .......... I HAVE to get out of the "city" at least once during the summer. Felt soooo good to be "out in the open country" :-) This is a windshield shot from our drive to Thingvellir.

Thumbnail by rannveig

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on August 13, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
98 °F / 37 °C
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 41 °F / 5 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the South

Special Weather Statement

An upper level high pressure system centered over Arizona will
strengthen and build westward over Southern California during the
next couple of days. This in combination with weakening onshore
flow will result in warming temperatures across much of the Southland
during the next few days. it appears that the peak
of the heat wave will occur on Tuesday and Wednesday. During this
time... some of the hottest locations (such as the Santa Clarita valley
and western San Fernando valley) could reach 107 degrees.
The warming air mass will also bring a significant
rise in minimum temperatures during the next few nights... with some
foothill and mountain locations remaining in the 70s.

If you plan to enjoy outdoor activities early this week...
be prepared for very hot weather... even in the mountains.

bamagirl - Great pic of the twin hummers!
Rann - Such a spectacular view! Simply amazing.
Kelli - Do be careful in that heat. I'm just dumbfounded by that news.

88.7 °F / 31.5 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4.3 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 94 °F / 34 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4800 ft / 1463 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 mph becoming southwest after midnight.

Sunset last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

Don't be dumbfounded. It's to be expected.

It doesn't look big in the picture, but this is a big squash - bigger than a basketball.

Thumbnail by Kelli

My goodness - that's the largest squash I've ever seen! I thought it was a pumpkin!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

rannvieg I saw some of those Horses up in Wisconsin... made the mistake of calling them ponies.... tough little customers. But as you said a sweet disposition..

Love the Hummers!
We're mixing 28oz's of Nectar a day now.
Yesterday we had 8 in the yard at once.
W/ only 3 feeders it was a circus! lol!

Well we finally finished the top of the Backyard Fence...
It would have been done last weekend but our Dog Wu escaped Saturday ( not to worry she's back safe and sound).

It's down to 84° from 92° and going to 58° by morning....ahhhhhhhhhhhh........

Here's the finished outside of the fence.
It started life as a stockade fence given to us by a neighbor.
Here's the saga....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157594158092638/

Also a link to all the Backyard related projects we've done in the last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157601395641006/

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric - you're more than welcome to come on down and do fence work for us! Looks awesome!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sharon!
I was looking for a WINTER project! LOL!

Ric

LOL!! Winter can be as hot as Summer!!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! It was rather warm today with a high of 91*, but there was a good breeze goin' & with the double soaking my flowers are happy. :D

Sharon, hope that you get some of that rain! Are those "mary's toes" that I see? Nice sunset, too!
Bama, Great shot of the hummers! :D
Rann, your sky almost looks like Blooms! :D Great!
Kelli, what kind of squash Is that? I thought it looked like a pumpkin, too! :D Sounds like you're gonna have a scorcher for a couple of days! :-O
Ric! You have done a marvelous job! Lots o' work! Looks Great! :D Thanks, for the before & after shots. Quite impressive! And glad that you got Wu back safe & sound.

The answer to the trivia is...B
On December 18, 1963 a record 3' of snow fell.

One more shot of Jack...he's rather thursty.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

High of only 95* in the city and at work only 92 or so.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Not up here Sharon! LOL!
I used to winter in Tampa as a kid (well Christmas break anyway)
Saw snow once and was swimming that afternoon!

Ric

Ric, your wall is simply Marvelous!!!
Kelli, that's some forecast. Do stay inside all you can.
Love the hummers. Hope I can finally get hummers to my backyard.
Sharon has ya'll well briefed on our weather.
We water our garden only twice daily.
Still busy on those curtains.
Sidney

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

hurrah for the curtains Sidney - I only water once a day and they learn to live with it.
Kelli, oh migoodness that's gonna be a swelter bath.
Rann, big sky country you got there. And I relate to the gotta get outta this valley' syndrome. It comes over me every now and then.
Bama, great hover shot. haven't had my usual complement of hummers this year. A pair does come thru and stop by my Mimosa every morning.
Joey, that Jack is a handsome fella.
Ric, that's one good looking fence. you could pass around DGers building fences.

Today it was 103* . And we had a thunder bumper over on the mountains that seems to have started a fire. We got a bunch of smoke rising over the Pack Creek Area. We long overdue on our side of those mountains. ~Blooms

Ish!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.