Multi colored coneflower pictures

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I am planning to expand my bed in front of my foundation plantings. One of the ideas that I am kicking around is putting in a multi colored section of coneflowers in the end. At the present time, none of my coneflowers are intermingled - in other words, all of the pinks are together, the whites, as well as the orange. In this section, I would like to see the variety of colors together.

As far as I can remember, I haven't actually seen any posting of pictures coneflowers grouped by color . I would love to see this. Remember, I'm not looking to see Fancy Frills near After Twilight, since they are both pink coneflowers. Instead I would like to see yellow (ie: Sunrise) with white (ie: Swan), and orange (ie: Sunset) etc.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

That would be a great idea...I'd like to see some intermingled coneflower photos as well.

Btw, your photo is absolutely gorgeous. What is that spiky looking plant with the white flowers at the tip?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have mine intermingled like that, I did add quite a few after the original plan and need to rearrange next spring to show them better.

I only have wider shots right now.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have rudbeckia in there also which adds a lot of yellow.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I have a mass of Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' which has become a very effective ground cover. Two questions - will the flowering peter out if I don't divide them (don't want to since I like the ground cover effect)? Second, do any of the Echinaceas grow as densely as that?

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Love your house BigCityGal. And beautiful garden. Great stuff. That house is awesome. Oh sorry, the coneys are pretty too.

Leslie

Middleburgh, NY

Here is White Swan with E. purpurea

Thumbnail by herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

and another view

Thumbnail by herbalbetty
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Rosethyme,

That's liatris (gayfeather).

Keep the pictures coming.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2007 5:59 PM

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

About dividing goldstrum: I have an original clump that I frequently dig the outer roots from to start new patches. It hasn't seemed to bloom less even though it is crowded. Now I have lots of densely flowered patches of it - gorgeous! It looks great with salvia may night (this is self sowing nicely for me this year, so I will have lots to go with the goldstrum), purple zinnia (annual but easy to grow) daylily franz hals, and september ruby aster. This is my fall finale combination, and I am looking for some more late blooming daylilies in just the right complementary colors.

Thanks. That's interesting - I have May Night and it never self sows.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I never noticed it before either, but this year I cut them back like you are supposed to when they start getting dry and seedy looking, and I just left the tops lying under the plant and watered well to get another crop of flowers. Then someone on another thread mentioned that they self sow, and I went out and looked, and I couldn't believe my eyes! There are scads of them, and they are growing bigger...

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey, I wonder if that would work with purple coneflowers? They're all so pale and scraggly now.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Al - Your lawn is a beautiful as your flowers!! Grass is so green and where are the weeds!! WOW! If I didn't have weeds it would be dirt. Lawn is next year's project this year was to get SOME curb appeal.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Debby.

Nice pics Betty.

Al must have that weed unmask feature of Photoshop perfected. Can I borrow it Al?

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Cute Victor!!...but can I have a copy too Al? hehe

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Clone stamp Victor - it's easier. I'm telling you - I've only sprayed 5 weeds all year.

But you must use weed prevention - Scotts or something.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Five weeds? ROFL I'll bet we have five MILLION! Heck, if we could sell weeds, we'd be stinkin' rich!

You and me both! And why do all the deer, rabbits, squirrels, woodchucks, etc., avoid eating the weeds??!!! It ain't right I say.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Never applied pre-m Victor. Like I said, I did redo the grass, mow high and water. Those things help a lot.

Wow, I do those things too, except for re-doing, watering and mowing high, and still have weeds!

Actually my guys do mow high. What do you spot treat with?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Bud Light - you mean the guys right?
I get Lesco stuff for work - Momentum FX is nice - any 3 way product works well.

Bud light before or after drinking?? What do you mean by 3 way product?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Both.

Herbicide - like Trimec.

Thanks.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

You guys are too funny.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Here ya go....I counted 5 different types of echinaceas here....paradoxa, RockyTop, pallida - 2 different forms, Orange Meadowbrite, White swan (I think). Despite the color differences the echoes of shape and form bring this area together for me...

Thumbnail by esw
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

That's very pretty, esw. : )
~Lucy

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh yeah esw, I want that.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

ESW, that is very nice. I hoping to create that type of tableau in my newly expanded foundation plantings.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

esw, now that's what we're talking about! Beautiful. :)

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

I do love my echicinacea...haven't bought any new ones recently though....
I am enjoying the color/shape variations that have happened with the mixing of the white and purple selections in another area of the garden...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.