I love these birds!

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I know that it is a type of crane but not really sure which kind. They are all over the lake and river areas around here. Some are a pretty white color and the others are a ugly dark gray. I guess maybe one is the male and the other is a female? I love them just the same! I am always out with my camera trying to get a closer shot of them.
Wanda

Picture of white crane

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Picture of darker crane

Marlton, NJ

Nice pic's Wanda!

I'm on my way to bed but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help with the ID.

Thanks for posting them; look forward to more of your photos! Pelle

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you! I looked through my photos and found one shot a little closer of the darker colored crane. Hope you can see him sitting there on the rocks!

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

bamagirl35973,
your first bird is I am sure the Great Egret (Egretta alba). These beautiful birds are also over here in Australia. Here is a picture I took recently in our local park:

The darker bird in your second picture is probably the Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodia)

Kennedy

Thumbnail by kennedyh
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh how cool is that!! I thought that they were cranes but this is even better! I'll be out tomorrow trying to get a better shot of these beauties!
Thanks Kennedy!
Love your picture! It looks so graceful!
Wanda

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Great Egret and Great Blue Heron - note the S-shaped neck, typical of herons and egrets; cranes have straight necks.

Resin

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! I'm getting an education here and loving it!

Wanda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The great white egret is great to see. Ours do not show up until late July. I have only seen one this year.
Sure are wonderful to watch. Glad you got to see these great birds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.