Hardy Cactus ideas?

(Cathy), MO

Does anyone in MO know which outdoor cactus will survive our winters? I'm thinking of making a cactus garden in an open area out back and trying to figure out what will make it. I'm about 60 miles south of the KC area.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Prickly Pear is native to Missouri

(Cathy), MO

Thanks Cathy. I'll start with that one.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

I lived in the desert for over 20 years. What most people don't realize (if they've never been there) is that the desert does get below freezing in the winter time and sometimes it'll even snow! While I personally don't like cactus, I do know that they are very hardy. We even had cactus up in Wyoming....and they do get pretty good winters also. For your personal garden I would stick to the smaller cactus. You might also like to put in some yucca and aloevera. Especially the aloe....great for sunburns and skin irritations. Just remember when you open a leaf of it that you cut off the thorns! Good luck with your cactus garden and hope you enjoy it.

(Cathy), MO

Will aloevera live outdoors? I've had a plant for years, but never even thought about putting it outside. I also already have a yucca. Sounds like a start! I've been looking at catalogs and was wondering about an Agave I found in one of them. It's supposed to be winter hardy to zone 5. I've never had one so don't know anything about them.
I think I'm mostly looking at cactus cause I'm tired of watering! And they aren't supposed to take alot of care or water. Getting lazy in my old age I guess! LOL!

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

My yes!! Aloevera will live outdoers!! it's just as hardy as the rest of the cactus.

The only cactus I would caution you againt getting would be the teddy bear (aka jumping cactus) it has such fine needles that it seems to "jump" if accidently brushed up against. it's difficult to get off and will travel as you try to remove if you're not sure what you're doing....in a panic it's sure to be a problem. Any of the cactus with fine hair like needles might be an issue if someone accidently gets in them....takes tape to get the needles out.

(Cathy), MO

Thanks so much for the info. It's time to repot the aloevera anyway. I'll try some of it outdoors. I'm learning so much on this site! I only joined last week. Sat here for 3 hours yesterday afternoon reading the forums! I'm looking forward to trying to collect seed for the first time this fall, and dig bulbs, and I'm going to try some clippings from my sub zero roses and see if I can get some to root. I've checked mail order companies out on Garden watchdog for several years now, but never got into the other areas. Neat place!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Try Yucca, too! It grow here..

I collect succulents & cacti...

(Cathy), MO

Hi Rusty. Do you have indoor or outdoor?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

both...

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I don't think Aloe Vera will live outside here -
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/alovera.htm, sorry about the seller link but I did a search and that came up, said hardiness zone 11. I was sure Aloe Vera was a unhardy plant in MO. I'd have Prickly-Pear and Tree Cholla. I have both growing outdoors in pots here in KCMO and both have made it fine thru Winters and multiplied nicely after-wards. -
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v243/w4i0a/missouri%20native%20cactus/
I trimmed my big pot of Prickly-Pear 8 days ago and I have a bucket of left-over pads if you'd like some free. They need some days like that to scab over where I cut them but they are fine for planting as cuttings, I've done that and it works great. I could give you some Tree Cholla too. PP and Tree Cholla have nice flowers after about 4 years.
Those will easily flourish in Rich Hill.

Will - off to work

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have aloes growing here and sitting outside not in sunny day cause the skin will burn quickly just keep in direct shade... I lost 17 Thanksgiving and Christmas orchid cactus sitting outside now and got burn the skin and not using outside for long time and it was sitting in attached garage one year ago from Southern California which it is change weather way.... So, I have tiny agave that I got from Southern Calif RU last May 2007...still growing outside in hotter now.... until before First Frost just bring in it.... It save your succulents from frost killing...I put in attached garage with the heater it around 40 degrees it wont hurt it...

(Cathy), MO

Will, I would love some starts. I'm new in here and just getting going, but I have some milk plant cuttings I could send you back if you like. If not, let me know how much postage will be and I'll send it paypal or snail mail.
What is Tree Cholla? If it grows outdoors here I would love to have it too. Gotta go look it up now!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Sure, I could give you some Prickly-Pear and Tree Cholla. Actually, I don't know that Tree Cholla is native to MO. like Prickly-Pear is, but it grows like gangbusters anyway!
Tree Cholla is a more traditional shaped cactus (tubular).

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/66650/ It says minimum temp. 15 degrees F for it but that has to be an error, its been much lower than that here. Plenty of photos of it, and info. there in Plant-Files.

I like it, I really liked it even more when I saw that it does fine in pots over the Winter outside.

I have it and Prickly-Pear coming out of my ears.

Unfortunately, postage on plant material besides seeds isn't too cheap.
I believe its a $4.60 minimum postage on anything bigger than a large envelope.
Come on up to East Independence, I could hook you up with many of these potted plants, soil and all. You can do it, I drive 31 miles one way to work.
Either way, just D-Mail me and I'll give you the particulars.
I'd love to have some milk plant cuttings.

Hi Rusty56, they are wanting to make a cactus garden, wouldn't be able to bring anything in. Eeek! Agave from California?! It for sure would need to come in, in the Fall.. :)

Yucca would be a nice addition to a cactus garden, Yucca too is hardy in Missouri.
Will

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
With this horrible drought and heat here in southeast Missouri, I am thinking of converting to all cacti and succulents!
Just wanted to add that hens and chicks, sedums, etc are good companions to cacti. Also, good drainage is essential because of our (sometimes) wet winters and springs.

Good luck cat64129!
Toxi

(Cathy), MO

Shortleaf, you have Dmail. And thanks Toxi. I've never had Sedum. Will have to check it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.