Wisteria Tree

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Does anybody have a wisteria tree growing? A friend gave me one in eary spring. It seems to be doing okay but just wondering about wintering over. Does anybody do anything special to get them through the winter. Mine is in a raised bed. Will look to see if I have a picture of it.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I would mulch it well and maybe put a support around it (like a small fence) to protect it from running kids and dogs during the winter. How big is it? I've grown wisteria from seed, planted them outside when they were about 6" tall and then had the lawnmower guys just plow them down. They came back 2 or 3 times but the 3rd or so hacking was all they could take. They are like weeds - hard to kill once established!
Good luck - the tree form of wisteria is lovely! I have the vine on an arbor near my patio - it reaches out to grab people if you come too close - extremely vigorous grower!

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

it is about 3 - 4' tall. the trunk is about 1" around. Here is a pic. probably not a great picture as it was taken at 5 am and foggy but it will give you an idea

Thumbnail by dpoitras
The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

dpoitras:

Like mentioned, I would mulch it really good against the winter chill. I notice that you are in a much colder Zone than tamberlin. And, if the mulching works, you can come back and let us all know. I, for one, would LOVE to be growing some wisteria near our back patio.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

My MIL has a huge bush-type of wisteria growing vigorously in her backyard. There's seedlings all around it. How long does it take to make flowers?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I've heard 10 years or more to make flowers....

Wow! That's a long time to wait for blooms!

Question - what is MIL?

Mother In Law

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I planted it in the spring and it already had blooms!! So fragrant. So pretty. I was thinking about putting stakes in around it and then wrapping burlap around the stakes for protection. I was told by the the NYC botonical society (not sure of the official name), they are in brooklyn to split a hose and put it on the trunk for protection. And mulching it as well. Will post how I make out.

Great!

I will look forward to hearing the results. You can always D-Mail me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.