Vigna and Ants

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've notice lots of ants on both my vignas, caracalla and phaseolus. After careful inspection I did not notice any aphids. I took some extreme closeups of caracalla in bud and noticed nodules on the bud cluster which exudes some kind of fluid that the ants are eating/harvesting.

X

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 1:19 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Do the ants help polinate?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Apparently they do. Nature is amazing in the ways it manages to propagate itself.

X

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Great pictures. Very interesting.

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Wouldn't ants on the Vigna be the same concept as ants on a passie?

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I noticed yrs ago that ants were helping my passie buds ripen.
They did the same for my Peony and Vigna.

Jackie
Edited to change blooms to buds

This message was edited Aug 12, 2007 12:49 PM

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Love the Close up pictures. I have heard that ants do help pollinate.

Pretoria, South Africa

They definitely do help with pollination. Great photo.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Ha ha - well maybe that's why mine arent blooming! Lol ... I've killed all the ants!! :)

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Amanda, the 1st yr my Peony had buds, I noticed the ants all over the buds.
Went and got my bug spray and killed them. My buds just dried up and fell
off. I was heartsick. I believe it was my m-i-l who explained to me there is
a beneficial relationship between the ants and the Peony flowers.
Armed with this new info I had beautiful blooms the next yr. We live
and learn, thank goodness.

Jackie

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

By the way, I just spotted these on my Vigna Caracalla this afternoon ... are these flower buds? If so, about how long until they bloom? Any ideas?

About the ants - I won't be spraying them off but I did put Over and Out all over the grass in my yard so ... ? I might get them coming in from the nrighbor's side though - that should help pollinate these, I would hope.

Thumbnail by AmandaTaylor7
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes those are buds .. you're a couple of weeks away from bloom.

X

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! THANKS! These are my first blooms on these vines. :)

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Anne-X - Interesting photo of the ants feeding at the extrafloral nectaries(EFN)...re:The extrafloral nectaries of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.). I. Morphology, anatomy and fine structure. Planta 166: 15-27

Plants that have EFN's are less likely to be eaten by herbivorous insects than those plants without EFN's...ants and other Hymenoptera tend to defend the plant from herbivores...
EFN's are active both night and day...EFN's surrounding the base of the external flower e.g., on sepals/subtending bracts may deter nectar robbers...

Here's a few related links

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:aZuXpDynXiAJ:edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IN175+ants+EFN+OR+nectaries+%22Vigna%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&lr=lang_en

extrafloral nectaries(EFN) and ants
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:XHaxct6FSBcJ:www.ice.mpg.de/usrpers/chko2261/Arimura_et_al_2005_Biochimica_et_Biophysica_ActaB.pdf+ants+EFN+OR+nectaries+%22Vigna%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=47&gl=us&lr=lang_en

extrafloral nectaries attract 26 different types of wasps
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:lySa1SPmtDYJ:www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/cgi-bin/CCrop.exe/show_crop_15+ants+EFN+OR+nectaries+%22Vigna%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=41&gl=us&lr=lang_en

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:9i6b25V4apkJ:www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/GreenManureCrops/cowpea.pdf+ants+EFN+OR+nectaries+%22Vigna%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=32&gl=us&lr=lang_en

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:692AJqO5iCAJ:https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/1811/1385/1/V04N05_103.pdf+ants+EFN+OR+nectaries+%22Vigna%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=28&gl=us&lr=lang_en

TTY,...

Ron

This message was edited Aug 29, 2007 4:56 AM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Great links! Now I know what to call them. I have also noticed the ants bringing dirt up and mounding it on the plant next to the buds and flowers .. I've been knocking it off .. I guess I'll stop doing that now.

Thanks

X

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Interesting pic - do these love bugs pollinate the buds at all? They're surely all over this vine, much more than any other thing in my yard.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

And here's pic #2 ...

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I can attest to ants defending the buds. Mine Vigna had a pretty good aphid colony going and when the buds came up they were gone almost overnight.
Caren

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are some of my buds with the dirt smut on them.

Thumbnail by budgielover
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Aaaaah!! My first buds are growing so well. :)

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

And another ... I'm excited!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Looking good .. don't know why the ants want to carry dirt up there.

X

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Jan - Hmmm...better double check again and take a closer look because the shape of dark and smaller green 'objects' in the photo here
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/budgielover_1188567053_28.jpg
sure look exactly like aphids(!)...

TTY,...

Ron

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

I was thinking that was some perfectly rounded-looking dirt for ants!

Hi Ron,
I did stick my finger up there before taking the picture to see if they were ants. I brushed it a bit and there was no movement but I will go out again and collect some in a dish for a closer look. If they are, guess I'll have to relocated some of my lady bugs. LOL

Well shame on me for not taking my other set of "eyes" with me. You got a microscope on that computer Ron? Fortunately it was the only bloom affected and they and the bloom have met their demise. LOL

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

What is up with these Love Bugs?!?! They're mating all over my buds ... is that normal? It's like they're drawn to them. No ants though ...

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Even my ants are gone with all these *&&!!%&# lovebugs!! Im hopeing they serve some purpose and at least pollinate my plants!

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

They are even choking my Sweet almond verbina

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They'll be gone in a few weeks .. love bugs are attracted to carbon monoxide, that's why you find so many near a highway. They feed on nectar as well. The eggs are laid in the soil where the larvae eat dead plant material .. so they are actually beneficial .. just a nuisance. They won't sting, bite or harm any plants.

X

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Very interesting information on this thread.

I also have many buds waiting to bloom on the corkscrew.There are ants but not many.Last year I had 1 seed pod.Two years ago many DGers were trying to hand pollinate the flowers and some were successful.

Lets see if we can get pods and if not try to hand pollinate. It was fun.

I'm sure we will get more ants when the flowers open and release their heavenly scent.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

How do you hand pollinate these?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

If you cant wait until tomorrow afternoon, I will probably have pictures.

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.