Local AIS rhizome sale

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I had never attended one until this year when I actually joined the chapter and was needed to help with the sale. Wow! The selection of iris was incredible and the price was minuscule. All of the members divided iris and contributed the extras. It turned out to be an amazing sale. If you haven't already done so, do check with your local AIS chapter to see when they hold their sales. You might even want to join. The dues are $10 per year at ours. And there are lots of interesting talks and events.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Another converted. I talk up AIS & CIS all the time. We have just had our sale here in Manitoba. Great iris at great prices. AND..... we know they are all hardy here in zone 2b.

We actually have members from all over Canada, from zone 8 to zone1.

inanda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You are right. I had known about the rhizome sale but had never attended. This time, I was totally amazed at how many wonderful rhizomes there were and how many kinds were available. I won't miss another rhizome sale, but I am going to have to learn self control!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Unfortunately the local sale here has lots of misnamed iris and the prices aren't cheap. I've stopped going to it (one year half of what I bought was wrong). I've sent them photos some years to try to see what I had bought and none of their members could id them.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Gee, that's too bad. Until now I had only bought one from them -- one of the leftovers that a member sold for them at the farmers' market. It was labeled Baby Blue Marine and turned to be just exactly like the pictures. Of course, I don't know what will come from the ones I bought this year. I will have to let you know in a year.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have gotten some great newer ones from the sale in Murfreesboro, though. Still not cheap... they price them based on year of intro. And theirs are named correctly.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

At ours there is an auction of the newer ones. Those go for probably more than you would pay if you ordered them from the company. Mostly it is members who buy them, I am guessing, with the idea of helping the organization. But the rest are much cheaper. I got Nehalem Bay for $6. It fairly new. The older ones are $2 each. I'll have to let you know about the correctness of the labels next year. But at least I know they grow in this area. Not everything does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.