Black Lace Elderberry

Sherrill, NY(Zone 5a)

My Sambucus Black Lace was planted last Fall at about 2 feet tall. It has not grown at all this summer and remains about 2 feet tall. Anyone else growing this plant? What have you experienced with it's growth? It didnt have flowers this summer either but appears healthy.

Thumbnail by Mary1NYS
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

It would definitely grow better without the competing grass. Remove the grass to at least a foot beyond the plant's total spread and add mulch just to within 6 inches of the stems. Next spring fertilize with any balanced fertilizer.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree about the grass, but you also need to give shrubs a couple years sometimes to really take off. They'll tend to sometimes follow the same rule as perennials--first year they sleep, 2nd year they creep, and 3rd year they leap.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I bought mine 5/06. It was a gallon plant(10" high or so). It grew to about 4' the end of that year. Only died back about 6" over winter, and is now 5' tall and 4' wide. They don't mind water so I water mine when other plants need it. I had about 4 flowers on it this spring.
The mulching to retain water and reduce competition would be a good idea.

today

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 5:35 PM

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Sherrill, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow..you all were right! It grew to 6 feet this year,,had flowers and even berries!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, that's great! I'll bet it's really beautiful. All new transplants will benefit greatly from not having competiton from grass. The first two years are the most important. After that, if you dont want to keep clearing sod away as the plant grows, you just need a mulch ring to keep lawn mowers and string trimmers from getting too close to the trunk or stems.

There are exceptions to this rule of thumb, such as rhododendrons, azaleas, hydrangeas, and roses to name a few. Some of the fussier stuff does much better with no grass at all ever in the vicinity of the roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.