oh my gosh

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I found Dave's garden last year and used it here and there to look up a plant. This year I subscribed and oh my gosh I could live here. I just found the bird watching forum - these 2 were at a little vacation week end in Havre de Grace.

Thumbnail by debi_k
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pic debilu! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Neat photo.
Love the blues. We have 4 this year out front of the house, chasing each other and squawking.
These guys look like buddies just sitting there. I find it strange that the blue heron are not bothered by seagulls.

I got a new little canon SD900 digital, which I love. I got it so I could always have it in my purse, so I should never miss a shot. Walking along the bay -the heron was flying in - and with his landing gear down. My camera was of course in my purse. By the time I dug it out he had landed. This shot was on zoom. The one thing I don't like about this camera is a delay with the zoom and just taking the next pic. We walked a little closer, and by the time I zoomed out a little, he already took off. If I had my canon digital rebel with me I may have gotten a few more pics.
This is my first close up heron picture, so I'm still happy. I love them.
So next vacation will be both cameras!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is a problem for sure. I have spent many years trying to get a good picture of one. The ones here are very shy.
I would like to get a good shot of one just taking off. They are so cool looking. Like prehistoric birds.
I have only seen a couple with the dangling feather from the back of their heads. I also love it when they fluff up that scraggly chest feathers that they have. Awsome bird.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

This spring, before the trees leafed out, I went on a birding trip to a Great Blue Heron rookery, right here in the city limits of Minneapolis, on an island in the Mississippi river. It was awesome. Birds were flying by with huge branches in their beaks. Neighboring birds were squabbling over turf. It was quite loud, and they ignored us on the river banks as we looked them over. The naturalist said that they reuse the nests, but every so often, they abandon the entire area and move the colony to another area, for reasons unknown. Of course, I didn't have a digital camera yet, and have no pictures. Maybe next spring.

Susan in Minneapolis

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I know of one of their nesting spots (between 2 hwys north of here) The nest are amazing. What a day you must have had. That would really be something to see.
They are territorial over their fishing spots too. Seems they can't even be in view of each other. Much squabbling out there in the marsh, to our delight.

there is a nesting area just off the NY state thruway exit 41(I think) - Sterling Nature Center - where I have watched many - just not up close. Went with my DH who after 45 minutes had enough when I could have sat behind my camera all day or ventured closer - oh well another day

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I am so spoiled - I see them constantly where I live!

Very nice photo, Debilu!!! Looking forward to more . . . and I sure know what you mean about how you could just live here on DG!! Between the bird watching forum, the cottage garden forum, the Pacific Northwest forum, and several others - I truly could just sit here all day!

see I do live here.
Cottage garden forum is now in my favorites along with hummer/butterfly, garden design, photos, and the birds.
I would love to attract a larger variety of birds - more reading to do.....

LOL - me, too, although I will soon be leaving for the day!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

DH and I were sitting on the deck last night when a bald eagle came into the area. (you always know, cuz everything starts flying).
This eagle swoops down and starts after this blue heron that was fishing in the marsh. They started to fight and the eagle left with a fish in his talons. You should have heard the squawking from that blue. He flew around screaming while the eagle sat in the tree eating his fish.
That is something we had never seen happen before.

Marlton, NJ

Oh thats wild! Wish I could have been there!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

It was one of those things that happen so fast, and that you are so surprized that you get no pictures. But a delight to see anyway.

What a treat for sure!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I'll never forget the one time I was canoeing around the Lk. Washington arboretum in Seattle with DH. We accidentally spooked a great blue and it took off right over me. WOW!

Wow cparts, awesome I'm sure

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Those herons are so much bigger up close, and in flight. Amazing sight wasn't it. What is the wingspan, like 6ft or something.

Marlton, NJ

66-79 inches. :-o

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.