Forget about gardening!

Lula, GA

Just to dang hot!!

We had a mild June and July here in GA. and we got spoiled by it- now it's back to normal, to even a bit high, temps, that 's all everyone is talking about here! Nearing 100's!!

TG for AC's!!!

Just doing the very basics out in the garden- for me that includes watering pots every day and pollenating my hostas in the evening- they have better chance of setting pods as it cools down overnight down into the 70's- so far it's working!

Otherwise, I admire my handiwork from afar, as I gaze out from my heavenly air-conditioned living room to my gardens baking in the August sun below! lol!

Brenda

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Too hot here, too. The weeds are loving it! I'll get them later on if it cools down...not while it feels like 105 out there1

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Amen Brenda!! I even took vacation today - tomorrow is my off Friday - just so I could stay inside.

I was wondering about you Brenda - hadn't seen you post lately. DH told me this morning he had an accident with a couple of hostas yesterday - moving the dump truck he ran over a couple. I haven't even gone out to assess the damage.

Brenda

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hot here too. Sure wish it would cool off so I could get outside and do my thing. We actually got almost an inch of rain last night.☺

Virginia Beach, VA

It is very hot here too!!! I was supposed to play golf with a golf buddy but it was a killer temp. I played Tues and Wed but today I feel like i do not have enough energy. Stay cool!!! Bellie

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 11:19 PM

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

It was 105* here today plus the heat index! and we will be getting more of the same. It is supposed to cool off on the weekend to the mid 90's.

We haven't had rain for weeks! We spent a couple weeks in Maine and I sure enjoyed that cool weather. I actually wore a sweatshirt! That seems laughable today.

Hope you all are staying cool!

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

Hope all of you in the more southern states get some relief. It has been 80's to 90's here hot and humid, but nothing compared to 105* Hope the heat breaks for you soon.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

I have 2 more waterings in my rain barrels and then I want some rain.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I feel tricked by the mild June and July weather:) It's been 100+ for the past couple of days and of course my AC motor on the inside blower is deciding not to work all of the time. Working beautifully today but yesterday...came home to the house being 95 on the inside!

I broke down and called the maintainance guy for the apartments and it will be a week or two to get the new motor here. Peak repair season and all that. I bought a small 5000 BTU window AC unit for one of the bedrooms so I can stash the short furry people in there during the day and at least know that they are surviving. The rabbit, Rabbit, is adapting just great but the two cats are not happy campers.

To drive this point home, I came home today to find the room short one cat. I looked around the room and there was no sign of Velvet anywhere. Then I looked at the window and almost had heart failure...the stupid cat had clawed away at one of the AC's window "filler" panels and JUMPED OUT OF THE SECOND STORY WINDOW!!! All I could think of was her splattered on the back patio. I ran downstairs and thankfully there is no pancake kitty and I can see where she stuck her landing in a couple of pots of glads (thank you 4paws!). I finally see her crouched behind the slew of containers I have next to the building. Very happy to say that she is fine, no broken bones or blood and behaving just like normal. I just want them to be comfortable and the little rat tries to kill me with heart failure:LOL:

Indianapolis, IN

rofl...omg, I would have just DIED if I came home to that scene! You are a hilarious writer ... "stuck her landing"...I'm cracking up.

Glad she's okay!!!! I have 5 cats and I don't know how they live through all of the messes they get into!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

dmac-Thank goodness you found your little acrobat unharmed...Don't know if we could say the same for you at the moment, lol..We've done the same for our babies when the ac broke a couple of years ago. Why does it always happen on the very hottest days??

Indianapolis, IN

Our A/C is defunct right now. If we turn it above 78, it quits working - freezes up. Not so great but I have to tell ya...78 is a heckuva lot better than 98! LOL

Lula, GA

dmac- hilarious, despite the near heart attack!

Ouch, Brenda - Your temp are worse than ours- guess we don't want to know what the heat index is- that gets old fast!!

Yeah, our AC went out, too last week and I came home to almost 100 degree house- it can not be imagined- ya gotta experience it! NOT!! lol! AC fixed now.

Andrea, we pour hot water over the line when it freezes- it's from too much humidity! Is there no hope?

Brenda

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I definitely agree, 78 is at least comfortable--a nice spring day really:)
I'm off today, Sat, and Sun so the cats are hanging with me. I left Rabbit in the AC room since he seemed to be the most wilted by the heat. The cats seem to just lay around like lions do on all those Animal Planet shows.

I don't normally watch the weather channels/reports but I was so excited to see the 7 day forcast=) I never thought I would be so happy to see 90-95 degree weather:LOL:

Indianapolis, IN

Well DUH...I never thought about pouring hot water on it! How dumb. LOL!!! We just turn off the AC and sweat like maniacs until it thaws. Thanks for the tip!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Thank God the little stinker is o.k. What a jump.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I have this vision of that kitty doing a 1.5 gainer with a triple back flip and landing on her back feet with her front paws out streched in perfect form. :) LOL Glad your furkid wasn't hurt.

Virginia Beach, VA

We do not have pets anymore and since our llhasa apso passed away i did not want another pet on account that that I took allergy shots while she was alive.I can feel what you went through looking for your cat..I woke up early today to put netting on our Japanese persimmon trees. Last year the squirrels ate all the fruits. we have 7 trees. I just finished and I am soaked!!! I have one more to do but at least I will not buy persimmon next fall. Stay cool!!! Bellie

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

It looks like we are getting a break today. It will only be 103. We broke (another) record yesterday with 104. I heard on the news that the heat index was 114! Worst part...I was out planting things in the middle of the day. Now that's really nuts!
Ya know, seems like the heat would get to the squirrels, too...No such luck, though.
Bev

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Ticker, you are too funny:LOL:

I've never tried a persimmon...do you eat them raw or do they have to be cooked or prepared in some special way. Honestly the only thing I've ever seen with persimmon in it is some stuff we sell at work in the hunting section, a persimmon flavored mineral block. Oh, and in case you weren't aware of it, the late freezes this spring has caused a shortage in the acorn crop for the year. Oh yes, that was actually in an email I got at work the other day. But never fear, deer hunters, there is a new product out there made from acorns that will do the trick.....Acorn Rage! Yes, that is really the name of it. That will be marketed on the shelves near a product called C'mere Deer. You thought the camo outfits were ridiculous:LOL:

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

GG......it's almost the hottest day of the season.....so why aren't we trotting over to Foxfire? LOL Last year GG and I HAD to make a trip to our favorite hosta garden, and wouldn't you know it.....the heat was unbelievable not to mention the humidity.

We did not get the nice rain that GG got. We did get a lovely light drizzle around 6 a.m., but it wasn't much and didn't last long. It did however encourage the humidity to shoot up to over 70%. Things do not look good for us in the temp department until early next week. Just think in a few months we will be wishing it would warm up. I wilt in the heat, but I will take it over frigid any day.

Keep drinking lots of water and taking breaks. I'm out to deadhead and pull weeds.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

We had a total of almost 5" from rains Tues. night and Weds. night. Way too much rain! Wish I could have sent some to you guys that need it. Usually this time of year we are just mowing weeds down (maybe once every two weeks)because it's so dry. My hubby has mowed twice this week! Weird weather this year....

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Marie,
You're nuts to be out in weather like this,,,,,or, a better gardener than I am,,,,,lol

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

more heat today...only 103*. Another day indoors. I will be going out to water and pick tomatoes but then back into the cool indoors.

All of the Carolinas have had this heat. Some places upto 106* and that is actual temps not including heat index.

It is a good time to finish all the unfinished projects.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 12:18 PM

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

ppg~good time for a late lunch with friends...Air conditioning and lingering over lots of tea! Gotta water the littlest babies in the garden first!

I didn't last too long. WOWIE it's miserable outside. I took my camera outside with me and was photographing all of my hostas in a bed that was completely in the shade. Not too strenuous, but I was soaked with sweat. I've got a a big, insulated flask of freshly brewed iced tea to take out with me the next time.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok, so you were out taking pictures, eh? We want to see the proof! Please post them. :)

Your friend,

Diann

lol

Unfortunately, there were some rays of light filtering through the trees and that really messed with the hosta leaves. I'm going to have to redo most of them.

For instance, I was bragging up Golden Sculpture to someone and promised to post it's beautiful golden leaves and upright growth. Well the pic makes it look sick.

Thumbnail by marie_

Some do look just fine....like this Cutting Edge w/buds.

Thumbnail by marie_
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Very nice. Now, how about some full garden shots? :) Hmmmmm, please? :)

And the blossoms on Bobbie Sue turned out nice. The light helped the blossom stand out.

Thumbnail by marie_

Hmmm, I was cataloging individual hostas......didn't do a single garden shot.

I did however get this lovely shot of Remington this morning. Unfortunately, he woke up at the wrong time and raised his head. He gets very relaxed when he's sleeping and was flat on his back and stretched out. He looks pretty stupid in this shot.

Thumbnail by marie_
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ha! Remington has that look on his face that says "Boy, am I going to get even with you later." LOL

Ok, well you've had enough time in the AC, now hop back out there and get some garden shots. :) LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:

we pour hot water over the line when it freezes-

if your lines are covered in ice... it's a filter problem.

we had this happen too... it was about 85 with the A/C running... at first DH said it was all in my head that hte house wasn't staying cool... then he looked at the lines.... huge block of ice, inside and out.

He called his HVAC buddy and was told "homeowner neglect"
now DH is pretty good at replacing filters... but with his shop in the basement -- there is more 'junk' in the air and that filter was totally covered and no air could pass thru it.

We've been hot too, but nothing like the heat index's you guys in the south are getting.
I try to go out very early to do weeding or pruning... or late in the day when the sun has gone down.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:

I was bragging up Golden Sculpture to someone and promised to post it's beautiful golden leaves and upright growth.

That was me Marie.... and i too will get photos with too much sun and a gorgeous plant will look terrible and washed out.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

When ac's freeze up it can be because the unit is low on freon. I'd have it checked by a professional.

OK......I went back out to get more pics.......and the camera's battery went dead. It's on the charger and I will try again tomorrow.

I just came in and have no idea why I stopped to say Hi. What I really need to do is take a shower. The weatherman was talking about much lower the humidity was today. Not at my house! I didn't do anything strenuous and am just a sweat-ball. Since it was so hot, I got side-tracked over at my neighbors and had a cold soda. Really. When it's this hot, alchohol just makes you hotter.

Here's a garden shot from 2005. I'll take a pic tomorrow of the same area. It's become difficult to walk through there now.

Thumbnail by marie_

And I'll tempt you with another from 2005 from the other end of the deck. Tomorrow I'll give you the updated version.

Thumbnail by marie_
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

What a pretty setting, on the water like that. Your cat is a cutie, too.

I'm sorry the temps are so brutal for you guys. We had a hot week, but it felt almost fall-like and crisp today, for some reason...which was almost depressing , because it made me think summer was almost over.

Here a more dignified pic of Remington. He's pretending that he's a paper weight. (Please ignore the messy desk.)

And now.......I'm off to take a shower and do a tick check. And then it will be time for the News-Weather & Sports from bed.

Thumbnail by marie_

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.