help with identification

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

We recently completed a three week trip to Australia during which we had a wonderful time. Now as I'm sorting pictures, I find I need help with identification of a few things. Thought I had pretty good notes or that I could find what I needed on the Internet, but so far I've not been successful. So, I appreciate any help you can offer.

First, this bird encountered at a rest stop on a tour of the Yarra Valley near Melbourne. We also saw a Crimson Rosella but this one isn't on the park's identifying signs, nor have I been able to find it in Internet searches.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

On the same outing, we visited the Healesville animal sanctuary. A great way to be introduced to native Australian animals on our second day in the country. I've got most of my pictures identified, but this one is defying my efforts although I'm now wondering if it's a type of Wallaby..

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

And finally, a plant. This was on Kangaroo Island, somewhat later in our trip. Didn't write down the name of the shrub because I was so sure I'd remember it. Ha!

Thanks for your help. I hope that's all I need help with. We had a great time in a wonderful country.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Try
1. ♀ King Parrot
2.One of the Rock Wallabies
3. Grass Tree Xanthorrhoea

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

ViolaAnn,
your parrot is the female Australian King Parrot (Alisterus scapularis): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_King_Parrot

The wallaby at Healesville, is the Brush-tailed Rock Wallaby (Petrogale penicillata): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brush-tailed_Rock-wallaby
I attach my own picture, also taken in Healesville Sanctuary in February last year. It might even be the same individual!

The plants are Grass Trees. If you found these on Kangaroo Island, they must be the Kangaroo Island Grass Tree (Xanthorrhoea semiplana tateana): http://www.gapphotos.com/imagedetails.asp?imageno=20947

Kennedy

Thumbnail by kennedyh

I hope you enjoyed your visit here.....would you mind telling us what sort of plants you found interesting and different from your part of the World?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much. Does the Kangaroo Island Grass Tree have another common name? I know that's not what the guide called it, but I DO appreciate having the proper name.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. I've been to New Zealand twice, but this was the first time to Australia. I regret that our time didn't permit us to visit the north, but we decided that we'd rather not be spread too thin and our reason for the trip was the International Viola Congress which was held in Adelaide. As I came a day early for meetings, stayed for the post Congress wine tour and then did a one-day trip to Kangaroo Island, a bit more than a third of our time was spent there.

I'm working on a pictorial about the trip which I'll likely post in the Parking Lot forum in a couple of days.

We enjoyed the Fern Trees that we saw in the Yarra Valley. They are very different from anything that will grow here.

Since we were there during your winter, I'm sure we missed many lovely plants that you might have at other times of the year, but we were fascinated that your trees don't lose their leaves. The various varieties of Eucalyptus, of course, are something we don't get in northern North American. The grass tree above is interesting to us.

I found this tree in Alice Springs. Makes me think of the way Poinsettias grow. (Actually, I don't know what it is either.)

I'm afraid I lost my train of thought because the timer summoned me to take dinner out of the oven. Will post this and add some more thoughts later.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

psssst it's common name is considered politally incorrect ...it is a called a black -oy ....with missing letter coming after a - c...the other picture of the red flower looks like a bougainvillia.....correct name of the grass tree is xanthorrhoea australis...now common name of grass tree since the black *** was banned...it was called that because when the bushfire go through they are left with black trunks.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I think you've got it with Bougainvillea. Another that's not native to Australia, I guess, but grows well there. Around here it would have to be grown as a house plant and possibly put out for the summer if I wanted to risk pests.

We were also intrigued with this plant near a beach on Kangaroo Island but understand it originates in South Africa.

We got into the interior - Alice Springs and Uluru and were surprised to see as much vegetation as we did in the desert areas we passed through. And we spent the last 4 days and 5 nights in Sydney. Were much impressed by the large fig trees.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Your plant near the beach, is indeed an alien visiotor to Australia, and is a major pest in some areas such as the Wilsons Promontory National Park. It is the Sea Spurge (Euphorbia paralias): http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/136972/

Kennedy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi folks,

I've got lots still to do, but I wanted to let you know that I have the first half of our Australian pics up at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/758745/#new

I have to take a break for dinner, but the second half are also all ready to go. If I can get the computer after dinner, I'll get the rest of them up.

Ann

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 5:05 PM

queensland, Australia

the grass tree is sometimes called 'black boys'
its not really nice i bet ur thinking .. but from what i understand , its because they can grow tall and long with a black trunk and spikey green strips coming outta the tops.
something that might interest u to know is , around this area these arre actually picked and sent to flower shops, some even go all over the world !
its a hard days work picking them , and u must have permission and a cold room to store them .. but it pays good !
so im told :P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.