Lonicera sempervirens questions (Native Coral Honeysuckle)

Annapolis, MD

Does anyone have a favorite Lonicera sempervirens cultivar?

What does 'semi-evergreen' mean, really? (I'm guessing that it means it varies with zone--stays evergreen in warmer zones, holds on to its leaves longer in cooler zones, etc.)

Any growing tips or suggestions?

I've checked around at local nurseries which have Japanese honeysuckle but no natives, so are there any great mail-order sources?
(Brushwood Nursery has a nice selection, but they are all sold out: http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/native-vines-c-26.html )

Thanks very much,
Teresa

p.s. if anyone has grown both Lonicera sempervirens and Bignonia capreolata (cross-vine), I'd love a compare-and-contrast! I've read the DG plant files but am having a hard time figuring out which would be best in which location (i.e. be more tolerant of shade, dry soil, etc.)

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Semi-evergreen is pretty much just like you said. It is evergreen where winters are mild and deciduous where winters are colder.

I have the native coral honeysuckle growing in two places in my yard. One site has average soil and one somewhat clay-like. It does good in both of those locations for me - lots of new growth and blooms this year. I've not had them long enough to see how they do in the winter.

Coral honeysuckle is a twining vine (no tendrils) while I'm pretty sure that cross-vine has tendrils. If you have the space, why not plant one of each (honeysuckle and cross vine)? I plan on adding some cross vine to my yard. Its a beautiful vine and hummingbirds love it :)

Here's some more info on cross vine.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/B/bignon_c.cfm

And some on coral honeysuckle.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/L/loni_sem.cfm

Good luck!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have LS, too and also not had it long enough to tell how it did in winter. It was planted in spring in a super hot sunny spot, the soil is well draining. It has sailed thru our AZ summer like a breeze, I was afraid it would be too much sun but it barely batted an eye and has grown far more than I thought it would this first year. I got mine at a local arboretum, but I imagine you could trade for it......I understand it becomes invasives in some areas.

I haven't grown cross vine but understand it likes it's sun as well. You might consider looking for a vine that actually likes shade as opposed to forcing a sunlover to submit.

Annapolis, MD

Thanks very much--those are great links, and good ideas, as well!

Do you have any suggestions for a native vine that will be happy in shade?
(The location I'm thinking of right now is shaded in the morning and mid-day, but gets afternoon sun!)

I don't really want to grow Virginia Creeper or Trumpet Vine--I know too many people who are allergic to those two, and in this area they can get 'aggressive' but maybe there are some newer 'cultivars'. . . or other vines I just don't know about.

Off to search archives again!

Teresa

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

What about pipevine? I'm growing Aristolochia tomentosa. Its in the shade most of the day and is doing fine. They can have very pretty and unique looking blooms.

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Teresa-
Where are you located? Not sure what plants are native for you because I don't know where you are :)

Stephanie

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah, what zone are you? Cissus trifoliata would handle that location here in AZ but would freeze farther north.

Annapolis, MD

Sorry everyone! I guess my location would help. . .
(I've been suffering from more than a few 'Barbie' moments lately, which I'm blaming on a recent move and heat/humidity!)

I'm in Anne Arundel County, MD on the Broadneck peninsula; zone 7

My copy of "Native Plants for Anne Arundel County, Maryland" only has four listings under 'Vine':

Camsis radicans
Clematis Virginiana
Lonicera sempervirens
Parthenocissus quinquefolia

And 'Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat and Conservation Landscaping ~ Chesapeake Bay Watershed' has twelve:

Aristolochia macrophylla/durior)
Bignonia capreolata
Campsis radicans
Celastrus scandens
Clematis viorna
Clematis virginiana
Lonicera sempervirens
Mikania scandens
Parthenocissus quinquefolia
Passiflora incarnata
Smilax herbacea
Wisteria frutescens

I think the American bittersweet and the two clematis are the most shade-tolerant (well, VA creeper, too, but I don't really want to grow that).

I'm working my way through the DG PlantFiles and the archives to see what else I can find out.
Thanks again,
Teresa

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ah, cissus would not do well. Would that afternoon sun be at least 6 hrs?

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Have you looked for a native plant nursery in your area? There are about 3 that I know of in my area. The people there have been very helpful to me.

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Found this site: Maryland Native Plant Society
http://mdflora.org/

They have some useful-looking articles under "resources". Maybe you could join the society and learn even more! :)

In central Florida, I'm in the FL Native Plant Society. All I do is go to the monthly meetings and I learn a ton.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.