Fell in Love with the Coneflower

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I am surprised there are so little posts on this subject. I have sooo fallen in love with the coneflower. My mother always loved them and I never gave them a thought. I bought two purple cones from the garden center this year and have really enjoyed them. So I had to go and order some online. I ordered Sunset, and two really dark purple ones, not sure what they are called. But I cannot wait for them to get here. From what I understand they multiply pretty good in the garden? I sure hope so as I have some space to fill in and what a beautiful way to fill it in. Also the butterflies like them.

Anyway, my first post to this particular subject so I thought I would let you know where I stand on my coneflowers.

Leslie

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Leslie,

Did you miss the enormous post that was in perennials! There are over 450 post on one thread. I think they finally gave in to the pressure.

Hope you enjoy your coneflowers.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Well of course you did!!! What's not to love!!!!! Enjoy!

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I did not notice penne. Sorry about that. I usually check out about two forums a day as that is all I have time for. But see I came back today and the forum is already twice as big. Great stuff. I received my three coneflowers today, got two planted and will do the other tomorrow. Just beautiful. I still wish I could remember the names. One is midnight something, Does raspberry tart sound right or is that another plant? Anyways I have two deep purples and one maybe named Sunset or something like that.More of a coral or peachy color. They were gorgeous on the pics I just hope they will be gorgeous for me. Then I bought two Eastern purples at Lowe's and they are planted. So I have 5 now. That may be it for me (this year anyway). I want everything to have time to establish so they will have better luck coming back next year.

Leslie

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I am so glad that Dave gave in...and thanks to those that applied the pressure;-)) Got so I didn't even try lurking there anymore!
I've had the purple cones for years and years. Added the usual, Magnus, Rubinstern, and Ruby Giant over time...Still love them, but am getting pulled into the 'gotta have them all' thing! Added some of the new ones already and just had to buy the lone 'White Swan' on the discount shelf at Lowe's yesterday.
Hey, Leslie...fellow holic:-)

Bev

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey Bev. White sounds wonderful. I am telling you I live in a city of about 110,00, not huge by any means but not tiny. Our garden centers get the same things every year. They get the most common kinds of just about every flower. I have to give them credit 6 years ago when I was shopping for plants with my mom she always went waaaaaay to the back of this one nursery to buy perennials. Back then I did not know that much about perrenials and really did not care that much. But she always went for the perennials which were located on one table in the back. They would have maybe 15 to 20 species, none I had ever seen or heard of before. I was more of a petunia, pansy, showy flower person that had to replant every year. Anyway, when I got my own home and had to replant those darned things year after year I really started appreciating mom and her perennials. And luckily now the perennials take up about three tables. But still limited in the different types of each perennial. Anyway point being so all I had to choose from in any nursery here in Abilene was the common purple coneflower. So this year in creating a butterfly hummingbird garden I went online a lot, read this forum, went to the sites listed which opened up a whole new world of flowers for me. And for this I thank you but my bank account does not. Anyway, having found 15 different coneflowers in all shapes, colors, really stunning colors, I became an addict. I will admit it and one of the things I like about this forum is everyone admits they are an addict. And as I read on one post yesterday it is a pretty positive addiction. Anyway, cannot wait to see how the cones come out this year and hope they really spread a lot next year like people say they will. That would be a dream.

Leslie

Now I know you guys are saying alright this Leslie girl is a little wordy for our taste and I am sorry about that but I just remembered another great thing. I have purchased quite a few different flowers this year, some for beauty, some for the butterflies and hummers, and some I just found on sale and bought. The funny thing to me is just about everything I purchased when I look it up becomes a butterfly attractor or a hummer attractor. So I decided these are some smart creatures and have a lot of the same tastes I do. LOL. Works out great.

Leslie

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 4:46 AM

Caldwell, NJ

I am interested in adding more coneflowers to my garden area. I am really new at the garden design.

If it is a bed of all coneflowers - different varieties, do you plant the highest ones in the back and in the center? Do you group them together by variety?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Leslie...wordiness ok when accompanied by sincerity:)

Don't forget that the birds like them, too. I leave the cones up after flowering. The finches go crazy, especially the goldfinches. I love coming up in the driveway and seeing the flashes of yellow zooming out of the gardens.

I plant a mix of things so that the garden doesn't all putter out at the same time. Gotta add some distraction for all those seeding cones;-) I'll mix (lots) of perennials that flower later and some annuals, too. That annual yellow lantana attracts butterflies like crazy! I won't plant the one perennial to our area because it tends to get woody and take over the world, lol. Grabs the neighbors on their way by!

Bev

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I have also fell in love with coneflowers....There is a BnPCo-opBuying going on that has coconut lime for $2.70 and raspberry tart for $3.10 plus .75 cents for tag and shipping each. I paid $6.95 plus tax at a local nursery for coconut lime which made it $7.44. The co-op also has verbascum and heucheras.

Shirley

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Shirley, where is this coop? I don't see it in the coop forum.

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

I was about to ask the same question. : )
~Lucy

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Shirley!
Yep, we all want what you got and for the same price:-)))) Hope your gardens are doing well!
Bev

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I found it, or at least I found the group. You have to join in order to see the messages.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BnPCo-opBuying/

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh dear!!!! I joined!

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Oh I should have added the link to it..glad you found it. I ordered 6 of each at that price..That coconut lime is gorgeous...everytime I looked at it I wanted more but at that $7.44 price I talked myself out of it. You would not believe the prices on some of these co-ops and the plants look great when you get them.

Here's the post:
Is there enough interest in these for a quick buy? Minimum is a half tray 36 count each. I want 3 of each so that leaves 33 of each to sell. I've already checked on the availability of these. We must meet the minimum to place the order.
There will be a 10 plant minimum for each participant. Payment will be due immediately so I can send it to TNN. Tags and freight will be .75 per plant.
Their next shipping date is August 20.

pictures at terranovanurseries.com

Count Plant Price ea
45 Echinacea Coconut Lime $2.70
26 Echinacea Raspberry Tart $3.10
36 H. Cherries Jubilee $1.90
11 H. Green Spice $2.20
15 H. Gypsy Dancer $2.00
19 H. Mint Frost $1.90
12 H. Paris $2.90
19 H. Peppermint Spice $2.00
15 Heuchera Starry Night $2.30
14 Heucherella Sunspot $2.60
22 Verbascum Dark Eyes $2.20
16 Verbascum Lavander Lass $2.10

Hi Bev-my plants are doing great that you sent me. It is so hot here now all I do is water.

Shirley

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

A caveat, these are plugs and will need TLC when they arrive.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

So glad to hear it, Shirley! I water something every day here, too...So hot and I just can't let them go after all this time, trouble and $$:-))
I'd love to join you in the terra nova thing, but I will be back at work in a couple of weeks and won't have time to fuss over things...elementary school...Love it, but it tends to be especially draining at the beginning of the year...
Bev

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear I am not the only wateraholic. I just feel the need to water everything. It is so hot here, really the first heat spell we have had this summer (been very lucky) and the minute I come home from work and something is drooping I gotta get the water hose out. I know I overwater sometimes and that is a problem with me (like stirring the pot too much). But I cannot stand to see something wilty and when they are I feel I have to water it. Am I wrong doing this? When you put so much money and effort into something the first sign of distress hits me hard and I have to take some action. So to water or not to water? Any ideas on the subject?

Leslie

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm a little confused. Mrsspeedgarden, did you already purchase 36 , and are looking to sell 33? Or are you trying to see if there is enough interest to put together a coop?

If you are going to do a coop, will you be posting on the coop forum? Also, are you planning to offer all of these plants or just the coneflowers?

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

pennefeather-the coneflower co-op is posted on another site not DG. You have to become a member and you can order in any of the co-ops. hart posted a link above.

Shirley

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.