How to find iris introduced in the 1960's?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Is there some reference source so I could find out the names of some varieties that may still be available now without me just going through vendors listings and checking dates? Just curious.

Or if anyone knows the names of any iris that are still around and for sale, I wouldn't be opposed to you mentioning them (hint hint ;)

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

This is what I have growing in my garden, some have been known to show up at auction sites occasionally.

Blue Warbler BB 1969
Fall Festival BB 1965
Space Cadet IB 1969
Cherry Garden SDB 1966
Red Heart SDB 1966
Babbling Brook TB 1966
Bayberry Candle TB 1966
Dancer's Veil TB 1969
Debby Rairdon TB 1965
Etched Apricot TB 1967
Flaming Star TB 1966
Frontier Marshall TB 1964
Gingerbread Castle TB 1967
Java Dove TB 1963
Kahili TB 1961
New Moon TB 1968
Pacific Panorama TB 1960
Pink Taffeta TB 1968
Seashell Music TB 1964
Shadow Waltz TB 1962
Shipshape TB 1968
Stepping Out TB 1964
Winter Olympics TB 1963

This message was edited Aug 6, 2007 9:23 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much! That helps quite a bit. I just got through looking through the price listing at Daylily Haven Iris and found a few others so that gives me a place to start. I'm picking some out for someone else and 1960's cultivars were mentioned so I'd like to find a nice variety.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

There is always the iris registry which lists the irises by the American Iris Society's checklist. I has the 60-2000's and you could search there or ask someone who can. Of course you will be inundated with irises as there are probably hundreds of thousands for that decade.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The best way I can think of is go to the American Iris Society Store Front and buy the book that covers registrations for the 60's. It is available. I don't know a good way to use the PlantFiles search engine, or any other search engine to search the Hybridization date for the 60's.
The only other thing I can think of would be tedious. Go to PlantFiles ->Iris and search each iris independently. You don't have to open up the page for each iris. The date is shown on the listing under each letter e.g.
A
Tall Bearded Iris 'A L'Orange'
Iris
Hybridized by Gartman, 1990

Tall Bearded Iris 'A'akukui'
Iris
Hybridized by G. Sutton, 2005
e
etc.
Of course there are like 45 pages of A's, etc. etc.

I am not sure why you want to know which irises were introduced in the '60's, but I can name a few from the lists I keep. But there are probably thousands introduced during that period.

Son of Star 1968 is probably still around and for sale.
Send an email to Wandasflowers. She collects historics. She probably can name a whole lot of them. I just googled Son of Star. It is available at :
http://daylilyhavenirisgardens.com/irises/tall_bearded_iris_S.htm

I know nothing about this company so better check them out in Garden Watchdog.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Elizabethtown,
I am impressed! You came up with those quickly! Betty

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

That's because I grow them in my own garden and have an excel sheet with the year intro'd listed along with the year I got it and which grower I got it from. I also have a cut a paste copy of the AIS registry for each as I acquire it. I think it's worth the $10 or so dollars to get access to the online AIS registry.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks pajaritomt for the info. As I had mentioned my recipient in the not so "Secret Iris Swap" mentioned wanting cultivars from the 1960's in particular when I asked if she had any preferences. I just wanted to pick out some iris that she was really interested in. Nothing more intriguing than that:LOL:

Wow Elizabethtown! I can see my future and it might involve an excel sheet:LOL:

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I'm going to travel south and east with my shovel.

inanda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I, too, am a member of the AIS registry and keep a spread sheet of my iris. I just don't have any 60's iris but Son of Star in my garden. Maybe some day. I find the AIS registry and well worth the $10. I have used it a lot since the local AIS Rhizome sale. Boy, I got a lot of irises that don't appear anywhere else on the internet. I have been adding them to plant files and will post pictures as they grow and bloom.

Newfoundland, NJ

All you have to do is download the checklist from AIS for free and put it into an Excel spreadsheet.
Then you will have all the 60's iris (or any other year you want to download) in a handy format. And you can search and slice& dice to your hearts content.
Laetitia

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, I didn't think of that! I will try it in the future.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sugarbean1,
I did try downloading the AIS database, but was unable to figure out how to do so. I can look up individual iris, but I don't know how to download the whole thing. I have registered for it and use it regularly. What am I missing?
Betty

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

dmac085,
This is probably too late, but I just realized that Study in Black was registered in 1967 by Plough. You may no longer need the info.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Betty,

Just go to http://www.irisregister.com/ and click on the link(s) for the Checklist(s) you want on the lower lefthand side of the screen. Each link will start a download of that particular Checklist.

Laurie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I will try it! Betty

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

http://www.irisregister.com/

Down load the 1969 R&Is and you will have all the iris registered 1960 - 1969

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 11:34 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thank you to everyone who helped me out! I've been so in love with all the giant, ruffled iris that are more current that I hadn't even realized how many really cool older varieties were out there. I initially asked so I could find some for my swap buddy but I've got my own wish list going now:LOL:

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I see how you do it. It doesn't include the 1990s or 2000s yet, but just this much would have been useful on a lap top at the last iris show where I was part of the team for checking identities of irises brought in. Then we would only have needed to use the books for the last 20 years.
An idea for next year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.