Looking for 20% Vinegar source

New City, NY

I'm new to gardening but know that I want go as organic as possible. According to the general consensus 20% vinegar is effective at killing a large number of weeds. I'm located in Rockland County NY. I've called every garden/nursery center within a 12 mile radius on the west side of the Hudson River. One place carried it but is out of stock until next spring. I found places in Texas and Ohio that carry it but was hoping to find someplace closer. Any suggestion for sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Neal

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Neal:

I simply use plain old white vinegar that you can buy by the gallon at the grocery store. I've used it for the weeds in my walkway and so far it hasn't bled over into the flower beds. I don't know how it would work if you were planning on using vinegar between the plants you want to keep in your garden, though.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

you can also boil plain old vinigar down.
laura

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

The operative ingrediant (I think - didn't do that well in chemistry) is ascetic acid. My Dad says you can buy it from a photo supply store in high strength.

New City, NY

Thank you everyone. I've tried plain white vinegar but I have some weeds that are tougher and they just laugh at me. Boiling it down just seemed like to much work and possilbe stink in the house. Now that it's mentioned I did read about getting ascetic acid from a photo supply store. I think that might be my best bet. I'll just have to dilute it and be very careful. I read that even 11% vinegar can cause burns to your skin.

Thanks again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.