I need help from you clematis lovers - PLEASE

(Zone 4a)

I have a drain pipe right next to my outside French Doors. I would love to start growing a clematis up the pipe and sort of going over the top of my door..... Just so you know I do have siding on this part of the house. If ANYONE has photos of something that I am explaining that would be FABULOUS to see. If course I will also need to know how you did it. I am getting so excited just thinking about it!!!!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Dawn - I am a clematis lover but don't know anything about them LOL!! Maybe you could put a trellis that is painted the same color as your house against the drain pipe. As for over the door a narrow trellis placed horizontaly - do not place right on the siding but could attach to blocks of wood attached to the house. You could also put a trellis on the other side of the door and put a clematis on that and have them meet in the center. I'm sure with the talent and creativity in the NE forum you will have plenty of suggestions. Good luck!! Eleanor

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Clematis don't need strong support like wisteria. Just put one wooden post on either side of the door. Clematis will climb. Just make sure that you get clematis that get long not the 6 to 8' ones. When they reach the top try putting some rope across the posts and in a year or two it should be real nice.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Here's some other ideas instead of arches for climbers for either side of the door.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I have used copper wire to extend my clematis' climbing height. I have an old house with copper gutters and I like the way they both tarnish. The wire is economical at craft stores and plenty strong for a clematis, even the rose uses it to climb. I do have a trellis bellow, but I wanted to train the plants around some porch windows.

Wire or mesh attached to your pipe and continued above your door would be economical and practical for as great trellis for a clematis. I would pick something that is attractive enough or unobtrusive to be tolerable in the winter months when the clematis is pretty bare.

Good luck.

Rose

Thumbnail by rsquared
The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I agree with Rose (good to see you posting again!). Using a decorative mesh would be a great idea - but make sure you get one that won't rust and discolor your drain pipe. But, I have known clematis to just climb where ever they wish to climb with not so much as a small twig stuck into the ground beside them. they seem to reach out and latch onto anything, and it doesn't have to be very sturdy. Perhaps with a little coaxing, the clematis would climb up the drain pipe of its own accord.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wow what great great ideas... thanks

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I went away for a week and have been busy at work since, but every day I read this site...got to get my fix even if I don't post. Thanks for noticing, Candyce. I to agree that if you encourage them, they will climb up on anything or nothing.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The stores also sell an almost clear, very wide (about 3" square), "mesh" for lack of a better word, that can be cut to fit for the gutter and held to the side of the French door with by using a strong staple gun (not the office kind).

I wonder, Pirl, if stringing a few of those plastic 6-pack soda rings would work. What do you think?

Tied together with clear fishing line I bet it could! Great idea, Candyce!!!!

Well, thanks, pirl. I just hate to see those 6-pack thingies make their way into a landfill, and then out to sea, and then around some poor creature. I've seen that - and it's not pretty! So, if I can think of a good use for those plastic things, I'm glad.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Dawn,

There are semi-circular trellis that are designed just for that type of application. I have them and they work great at concealing my downspouts. You can also connect two together (side by side) and have 360 degree coverage for a pipe of lampost, etc. I'll see if I can get a photo when I get a chance. Just back from vacation and trying to catch up with lots of things.

Welcome back, Victor. You have been missed.

Thanks Candyce! Here's a photo of what I was describing, though GS is not offering it anymore.

http://www.gardeners.com/Versatile-Half-Round-Trellis/default/33-924.prd

Victor - glad to see your line about Party Girl and know you didn't leave your sense of humor in PA.

I used leftover plain wire fencing around a tree for the clematis to grow on. I just checked my photos and none show it clearly enough. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

Thanks Pirl. I have used the clear netting as an anchor for Clematis, but up the side of my house, not around the downspout.

(Zone 4a)

You call have certainly given me some great ideas!

We want photos of what you plant, Dawn.

Yes! Yes! Absolutely. Keep that camera at the ready.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.