baby amaryllis dormancy question

Chicago, IL

Hi -

I have some seeds that sprouted this spring, and also a couple adolescent bulblets (~1.5 inches diameter) that came off a bigger bulb, and obviously they are not yet flower-producing size. Is it OK to leave both these types of babies growing, or do I need to let them go dormant for some reason? I was going to just grow them through the fall and into the winter, to keep some extra development going.

Thanks very much.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes.

Do keep your young bulbs growing year-round if possible. They will grow to flowering size sooner if grown in good light.

You might find that they prefer this as well. I have "encouraged" a motherbulb to go dormant in fall, and have her offsets keep their foliage regardless of the dryness.

Seedlings are much the same.

R.

Chicago, IL

Great - thanks very much. Hopefully I'll get some blooms after a couple years :)

Mobile, AL

Hi!

They will stay green as long as you keep them above 40 degrees F. However, they will not grow much in the winter if you let them get that cold during winter nights.

But, remember, if you want them to grow during the winter months, they will need light.

AND, give them lots of water and fertilizer (as long as they are growing). If not, hold back on the water. Oh, gosh, I hate doing that when they are green, so just be careful to give them less during cool periods...

Same thing with the bulblets!

Have FUN!

Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.