New Seedling

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

I bought these unnamed canna seeds off Ebay so I don't know seedlings parentage. Canna bloomed at 20 inches tall, foliage is 31/2 inches wide, 15 inches long. I've had this canna growing in a pot so that may have something to do with the super small size. Blooms are small with bold, vivid, bright red & yellows.

Thumbnail by cannagirl
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

That is very, very nice!! Save some for me:-))
Bev

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Bev! If I get some seed off these blooms you've got them.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

That would be very exciting! I'm 'rooting' for seeds!
Bev

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh wow Dollie thats really pretty!!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Cannagirl..could that be canna indica ? I bought some off ebay also and they were described exactly how yours looks.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

What an interesting coincidence - one response from Blythe, California and now another from Blyth, Ontario, Canada :-)

That looks like my first year Canna indica too - here's a link to a pic:

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/i/33430/ (synonym Canna edulis, as my pic is labelled)

I also took an available light night shot that made it look kind of mysterious :

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/i/33410/

--Ginny

Edited to change links due to site restructuring.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 7:58 PM

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ginny
Scrolled through all your pictures...very nice collection you have, both plants and pictures! How are your new babies? Cute!
Bev

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes it is kinda funny Ginny..however your Blyth is , Iam sure alot cooler that this one. Their is also another Blythe is the United States...but I can't remember where. How come I couldn't access your link...? It keeps saying access denied. What am I missing ?

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks Bev! The new kids were 5 weeks old on Saturday and they are just going little concerns :-) I'll be bringing them home in another 2 1/2 weeks - I can hardly wait!

betterbloom - the restructuring of the site changed all of the locations for diaries. They are now found under Blogs - go figure (shrug). I changed the links in my post above. They should work fine now. And yes....we are just a tad cooler than you :-)

--Ginny

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Ginny, what a beautiful garden..and sooo green. I don't know what today's highs were, but it's 111 right now. Chances are it won't get under 100 this evening. It must have been a bit much for my baby cannas, a couple of them got burnt leaves so I will have to move them to some shade in the morning. There is a limit to full sun.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks betterbloom. Holy heat! The hottest we have been so far is about 93 degrees (34 degrees celsius), but it drops down to about 61 or so at night. I think your babies will appreciate some shade :-)

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

And to think in only three months I'll be covering them to protect them from freezing. It's a bit drastic here !

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Sorry everyone for my late post. Dad has just got out of the hospital for the second time in a month, due to lung cancer.

Thanks Caren, (Heavenscent)! I love the look of this canna. Can't wait to see next years bloom.

Ginny, what a pretty picture! Thanks for sharing with us.

Betterbloom & Ginny, what I purchased from ebay was unknown canna seed, but my little canna does look alot like Ginny's photo.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad cannagirl. I went through the whole thing with my Mom 4 years ago - I can feel your pain like it's my own.

My Canna bloomed at about the same size as yours this year, and mine are planted directly in the garden. I suspect it's just because they're first year plants and they'll get quite a bit larger next year.

--Ginny

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Prayers for your dad and for you, cannagirl.
Bev

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Ginny & Bev thank you both for the prayers!

Ginny, I thought the mini-dwarf canna was too cute. I really hope it doesn't get taller next year, but I suspect your right, next years growth will show a taller canna. LOL, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the mini-dwarf.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Just checking back to see how your dad was fairing...Hope your holidays were happy.
Bev

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Bev for asking. Dad passed away shortly after Christmas at his home in Leesville.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I am so sorry for your loss cannagirl. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during such a difficult time.

--Ginny

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Dollie, I am so sorry to read of your Dad's passing. My sincere sympathies.
~~Jaye

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I am sorry for your loss. It must have made the holidays very difficult. Best wishes to you and your family.
Bev

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Ginny, Jaye, & Bev, Thank you for the prayers and your kindness. Dad was a very special person and well all miss him alot.

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Cannagirl,
I am so very sorry to hear about your father (((hugs))) , praying for ya here too. Be good to yourself and take care.
~Lenette

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Lenette, Thank you for your thoughtfulness & kind words.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.