Need Red Boer goat care instructions.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I need some advice and directions. I have 2 does, 7 mo and 5 mo. Planning on raising goats to sell. I am really confused about the info I have read, and heard from the 2 breeders I bought these 2 does from, regarding care.

1. One said feed #1 coffee can full of feed a night (Lucy, the 7 mo old, was 4 mo. at that time). Bought Bella (5 mo old) 2 weeks ago. Her owner said 1 cup about once weekly, that the other breeder was losing a bunch of does from over-feeding grains. They have plenty to eat in their pasture here. We are feeding Lucy about 1 1/2 c nightly and Bella about 1 cup nightly.

2. Neither one said anything about hoof trimming, but I'm seeing several posts about it here. I found a website that said if they have big rocks to climb on, that they may not have to have their hoofs trimmed. BTW, one breeder did have a pile of huge tree trunks in the middle of his pasture. Don't know if that was intentional or not. Their pasture is mostly hard clay and they have a stack of pallets to climb on.

3. Both breeders told me they had both been wormed. I read they need wormed frequently, bi-monthly to quarterly. What do you all use and how frequently?

4. What is CD&T, free choice minerals and 18% protein tub? And what is it used for and how?

5. What about the tags? Neither of these were tagged when I bought them.

6. Regarding breeding; 2nd breeder said I should wait till January to breed them. Lucy would be 11 mo and Bella 9 mo. I'm also planning on getting a few more about 5 mo. old does by the end of September. At what age can I safely breed the does, and how old should the buck be? Their health and welfare is a major concern of mine, and I don't want to go about the breeding in way that is detrimental to their health.

Thanks much! Robin

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!