One long new branch...?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have 5 JMs in large pots. Each one has ONE very long new branch (about 2 feet) and one only! I'm not used to trees growing like this...is this the usual? Should I cut them back some to encourage more branches? I have a Sango K. planted in the ground (since last summer) and it seems to be branching out in about 3 places...looks more balanced.

I'll post pics tomorrow if anyone needs to see them to offer an opinion. I'll also look at the info sticks that I put in the pots and see what type they are.

Thanks,
Connie Webb

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Pics would be great...although i don't think it is unusual the first season ...many of mine do the same ( I think) but photos will really help . Get as close as you can for a full shot of whole tree and a closeup of the one branch. David

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay...here are some pics

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And another

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And the last one

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

They are all lined up here temporarily as we building a pool at end end of the deck, and these used to sit one to a step on some very side steps that go down to the level part of the yard.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

That is a bit strange the last pic seems to show more new growth ... The new single shoots is alot longer than I imagined and a most seem have no other new growth.as you stated..I personally don't have a good answer...I have NONE that look like those...mine may have a short sprig on a newer plant that hasn't had much growth or a bunch of new second blush activity like the pic on right of your last pic. My guess is that next season it will grow more uniformly and you can clip that one wacky branch off or leave it to be "grown into " by the others ...but I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on it ...It certainly isn't in the genetics of the tree since the rest of the tree(s) are uniform in growth... Maybe someone else here has some ideas ... David

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

No advice, but a few questions out of curiousity...

Is the new growth all on the sunny side of the trees, i.e. the same side on all of them?

Are they all different varieties, or the same (maybe one goofy parent tree?)

These don't seem to be the central leaders, correct?

I'd probably trim it of to match the other branches when they go dormant, myself. If you aren't concerned, or they are actively growing, you can always turn them around and see if something pops out on the other side. I had this problem with my 'Tiny Tim' earlier this year and I cut the longer branches back as it definitely looked strange. Mine has maintained its balance this summer, but we'll see how it does next year. I believe it was caused by uneven lighting in the early stage of growth. I purchased my trees at a March "show" at my local garden center. We had very cold weather, so my baby trees stayed indoors, under my growing lights. The longer branches were on the side of the tree that was closest to the fluorescent lights.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That happens to me sometimes. I usually cut it at the 'crotch'. I don't know what this crazy growth is but it's not unusual here. I kind of treat them as if they are reversions. Have you been feeding it? Sometimes this can happen from over-fertilizing. At least that's what I've made up about it.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 1:09 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay...the answers:

Oops...it's too late to tell whether all the new growth is toward the sun, as they were all moved (except the one in the large cement pot). The long branch of the middle one is growing toward the outside but definitely not toward the sun.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

When I get long branches like that they aren't necessarily toward the sun either. I've had them on Sango Kaku and Beni Fushigi.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The trees are of 2 types, and I'll get the names for you. They have been typical JM installations--as "understory" plants. I have very large canopy Red Oaks above...not terribly thick bc they are older (70+ years, an arborist told me).

Oh...I did just sprinkle a bit of fert. on them in the spring...but that one time only. They are showing new red growth on several other areas at the top, but nothing compared to that wild 24 inch branch like the long one!

This message was edited Aug 6, 2007 2:18 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It won't hurt the tree to take off the mutant branch.

Where's my pruners? ;-)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Laura are you ready to take a trip to Texas?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thats alot of travel to a really hot summer place for a couple of snips ...I know Laurasizzorhands is addicted to her pruners ( or attached ) but I think even for her that would be just a "bit" excessive ;>) David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Guess just a bit. Hadn't considered the weather. :-)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay, guys....now you have to tell me what to do with the branch if I decide to cut it back a bit...how do I try to grow a new tree from it? Mail it to you ? haha

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You'll have to ask Otis how to grow a new tree from it. He waters his cuttings for 2 and 1/2 seconds every 5 minutes. And you thought that there wouldn't be an answer. LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Whoa....that's dedication. Sometimes when I water wonder what plants in the hot Texas sun would do if sprinkled all day long? I got all these JM's at a nursery's "summer closing sale" last year...1/2 price! Kept them in the original plastic pots all winter long and just planted in the large planters about .... May I think.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I know that you are enjoying them a lot too. These trees are just so beautiful.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I am in the process of planning the plantings that will surround 2 sides of a new pool (with chlorinated water). Does anyone know the effect of this water when splashed onto the JM's areas? I'd love to use them in the pool landscape.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How close will they be to the pool? I have one planted right next to the pool but it is elevated. The other is about 8 feet from the pool. Generally unless the kids are doing cannonballs for long periods of time it shouldn't matter. Lots of people treat their plants with 10% clorox solution to disinfect them when they get rot so I think that it would take a lot of pool water to hurt a tree. Now moss might be a different matter. I can kill moss with a 10% clorox solution.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The planter is only about 4 feet wide on average, so plants will be CLOSE! But there will be no cannonballs, since we only have a spa and then a reflection pool which is 23 inches deep. Only sunbathers will be there...no splashing at all unless in silly play, which, when you have grands..will happen! :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I wouldn't worry about it at all then. I have a JM that is shading my spa and the only problem is the leaves falling into it in the winter. It's lovely the rest of the year. The tree cools off the whole area and keeps us from getting too much sun. Of course a small weeping one is always lovely leaning over a pool - especially a reflection pond.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Doss...do you use the bubble cover for your spa? Mine is a weird, custom shape, and my pool guy said to buy some type of bubble stuff and cut it to fit. Then when leaves fall, just remove and shake off the leaves. My reflection pool is really a "tanning pool" with full chlorination, AND a waterfall will cause constant movement, so won't really get much of a reflection, but I do like the idea of a weeping one...which types would good for that...mini ones, that is?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

There are many others here that are more familiar with the dwarf trees. Perhaps someone will get in here and make a suggestion.

I don't use the foam bubble cover. My pool is too big and very strangely shaped. There is a Crimson Queen in the planter at the very end of the pool. The tree on the right is a seedling maple.

Thumbnail by doss
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Doss: What type of bottom does your pool have? It looks like a medium blue...is that right? We're doing Pebble Tec and the "Emerald Bay" finish, which is brown, beige (and lots of colors between) and a few green pebbles. It causes a medium blue-looking water under normal sun conditions.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Its Pebble Tec but I can't remember what color it is. Emerald Bay I believe was brighter. You are going to love it. It's much easier to walk on than plaster was although it looks as if the pebbles are rough they aren't. This photo was taken in the beginning of April so not everything is leafed out. The pool is much greener when the trees are green.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

If you have it somewhere in your records where you could access it I would love to know....I've been to their web site and tried to decide from that, but can't. My pool guy is going to show me 3 examples of pools he has built that have the med. blue color.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll look for it. I know that it wasn't a standard color but that was quite awhile ago so it may be standard now.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I went and checked on the color. It's midnight blue. Emerald Bay is only a little lighter color but is certainly greener. We looked at both when we were deciding. They both are beautiful. In this photo you can see how the light changes the color.

Thumbnail by doss
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, you pool is certainly gorgeous. I wish we had more room....(quit complaining, Connie!!!~~~)

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

yes Doss really nice but doesn't really look canon ball worthy ;>) David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You are missing the deep part of the pool which is would be at the front of the photo. This big square part if perfect for cannonballs, especially if you jump off the wall instead of the side. It's 9 feet deep here because it originally had a diving board but we took it out for safety's sake. Seen enough photos of my pool?? LOL

Thumbnail by doss

Love the pool, and the view around it.

And about the pruners...gotta poke fun at myself! I'm really not that bad, I almost make it sound like my shrubbery has poodle cuts, blech! Pruning is probably the garden chore I enjoy the most, as it allows you to be a little bit artistic within the constraints of the tree or shrub.

Have fun with your new maples!

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Laura the first step in dealing with addiction is agreeing you have it ...hummm... you kind of negated thast in your last post " I'm really not that bad, "...HAH!!! Of couse I speak from the vantage point of a non trimer... who don't oft realize the addictive tendencies of such triming...( I shouldn't be running the "clinic" )... No seriously there are MUCH worse stuff to be "attached" to other than your trimmers ;>) but I stand by your Laurasizzorhands moniker ;>) David

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

How large IS that thang? lol
OUrs is very small...well, the spa is large, but we only had so much room for the pool....I think it's 40 foot long but only a few feet wide in places.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 10:06 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I know that it looks huge. It's also 40 feet from the closest end to the other end. It's the photo that makes it look huge. Yours must be a very unusual shape but I'll bet that it's pretty.

;-P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.