thinking about planting starfruit

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

I am thinking about planting a starfruit but have gotten mixed reviews.

Does anyone out there have one? Are they easy to grow? Any good recipes?

Any info you have would be helpful.

Thanks!

bundaberg, Australia

Plant the Starfruit (CARAMBOLA) you will not be disappointed. Here in the Sub-Tropics our tree fruited in just 3 years. Every year after they keep producing hundreds of fruit without asking for anything special. i just add manure and mulch each year. We eat the sweet Yellow/Orange colored fruit direct from tree. recipe ? Fruit juice maybe.

G Day Tulloch....How did you go with the big freeze in your garden everything OK? my poor ice cream bean took a bit of a hammering but I think it will be OK.....about that starfruit...could we grow it from a fruit?....do the fruit have seeds and what does it taste like? :)

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like starfruit is the way to go. I've seen pics of other peoples trees that were full of fruit.

Have you had a freeze already?

Sorry floridabunnie didn'y mean to jump over you just saw tulloch and was worried about his fab garden lots of trouble for us thisWinter frast where no one has ever seen it before.....hope you have success with your starfruit good luck :)

Sorry mean't frost of course- it is Winter here when you are in Summer! :)

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Chrissy -

It's no problem, I didn't think anything of it. I didn't realize you were getting winter temps already?!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

floridabunnie, their seasons are the exact opposite of ours. Instead of June through August being summer, down there it's winter, so now winter is getting ready to end and they'll be heading into spring soon. And when we're suffering through winter in Dec-Feb, they're enjoying summer (well, I guess you and I aren't really suffering that much since we're in nice zones, but you know what I mean!)

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

ecrane -

thanks for explaining that, I guess I never really noticed their weather. Not suffering through winter is nice isn't it?! he he

ha ha ha I was told Americans did not know much about Australia
and I guess that is right by the sound of it....our loo water runs opposite to yours when you flush as well! our east is where the sun comes up and our west is where it goes down.....we are down under! ;)

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Chrissy -

Now I'm embarrassed :)

It was a joke we were told when we were young that if we dug a hole deep enough in the back yard we would find China, nobody ever said we would really find Australia he he.

Don't be embarrassed:) thats ok.......it is a bit confusing in the forums I have to watch what I say...because of differences in plant names and stuff like that ...I am always putting my big ozzy foot in my mouth....but they seem to forgive me....nice folk in daves garden :)
chrissy

Sarasota, FL

I prefer the old variety that fruits in winter only for flavor. There are the new Philipino types that fruit all year (several times per year) They are much larger. I also prefer the fruit with a bare touch of green just going yellow. The older ripened orange ones have no acid to balance the sweet.

Springfied , IL(Zone 5b)

Greetings fellow Floridabunnie! Yes, we do have the bunnies, since all the storms. Lots of more bunny condos all over my property!

I have a Starfruit Tree 20 feet high that has survived all the storms and thrives. Lots of fruit. I can't give them away. If anyone is near me I would gladly share. My Publix sells them for $1+ a piece. I don't know the genus, but it practically blooms year round, so it might be the Phillipino variety.

The fruit has a sweet taste, but rather on the bland side. I eat them, but haven't tried juice. A Caribbean Native friend calls it Star Apple. And a rumor has it that the fruit is good for the kidneys. I'm 54, drink a gallon of coffee everyday, and so far I'm okay. Maybe it's true ;)

Have a great day!

PS- Oops! I just realized this thread was August 2007. I'm a little late...

This message was edited Aug 14, 2008 1:00 PM

Thumbnail by gopita

Ha, I'll chip in now! I lived in a house that had a large yard with four starfruit trees. Everything about them seemed the same, but one of the trees' fruits were falvorful, citrussy, and the other three trees had very bland fruits.

20 feet, seven meters tall would be a large tree. Seeds, probably easy to grow, I'll be trying some soon, and will revive this long-lived thread.

Dahlonega, GA

i have three , one bought and two from seed . i can't wait . how long does it take them to fruit ? sally

Orlando, FL

Jupiter,
Could I get some seeds from you and how long from see to eat. Fran

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.